Picking up children today-feeling frustrated

Hello. This is my first post. Diagnosed back in March with grade 2/ 5cm nasty and now post mastectomy and recon, started chemo mid May with radiotherapy to come, as lymph node involvement. Just picking up my 2 boys today from school and just felt like screaming-I have breast cancer!!! I have told some lovely friends at school but can’t help feeling sorry for myself when they start talking about their summer holidays and all I can think of is chemo next week. Worried all of this is going to turn me into a disgruntled, grumpy bird! Anyway just wanted to reach out to anyone who feels the same way or has some wonderful advice to get me through. Live in Brighton btw just in case anyone near this area. Wishing everyone all the best for wherever they are in treatment/recovery and think this site seems great for picking up tips, support and advice.

Hi Smash73 and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read that you are feeling low and am sure that your post will resonate with many users here, our helpliners are also on hand with further practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 so please feel free to call

I am posting a link to the younger woman’s area of this site where you will find more support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi smash73,

I’m sorry to hear your news and how hard you are finding it.

Diagnosis in March and all that surgery with chemo started in May has been quite a busy few months.

I am two months ahead of you but with lesser diagnose, surgery and treatment and I’ve only been able to think normally about everyday life for the last few weeks. Since radiotherapy finished I guess.

Don’t beat yourself up about feeling angry or any other emotion you have, whenever. I think we have all experienced the same and to not feel that way would be unusual. It takes time but eventually the continual thoughts about cancer start to subside and emotions even out.

Till then be gentle with yourself and I wish you well through chemo. (I’ve been there done that, 9 doses over 6 months, 22 years ago)

Hi judithvr6. Thank you so much for your reply. Opening your post this morning just made me feel so normal again. You must be relieved that your treatment is over and done with and for the second time too. It is great to hear about people who have got through chemo.
I can see that we all probably go through a range of emotions, anger being just one. It helps to know that it will get better, that is what I need at the mo just to know that things will get back to some sense of normality. Thanks again for taking the time to reply it just made me feel better about the world this morning and thankfully the sun is shining. Wishing you well