Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pilot event in London

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted

Re: Pilot event in London

Hi Ann.
Sorry missed your post. I am already on an earlier train, but am returning on the same one as you. Look forward to meeting you this evening x
Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies, looking forward to meeting you on Friday. I'm Julie, a Scottish girl living in London. I am 43 and having two boys aged 9 and 11. I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer in October 2012 and secondaries to the bones, liver and lungs in February 2014 and now just had a cyberknife blast on Monday as a small lesion in my brain. Enjoy your Thursday get together. X
Highlighted

Hi SDP
Your post made me smile. My moon face is progressing nicely! I have just returned home from my 4th whole brain radiotherapy and will be having another one early in the morning before getting the train at 10.30am.
The steroids are making me really grumpy and irritable but I'm hoping to get a good rest at the hotel tomorrow afternoon before the dinner tomorrow night. I've been given Friday off the radio so I can make the most of the weekend - I just hope that I can stay awake!! Have not lost any of my hair yet but expect that I may do so over the weekend.....
I hope that your first session has gone well today - the first one can be a little scary can't it? I'm tough but it did take my breathe away a little.
I look forward to meeting you and hope you have a safe journey on Friday.
See u soon.
Jane xxx
Highlighted

Hi Jo,

Just noticed you're coming from Newport. I live in Newbridge,Gwent and just wondered if we might be on the same train? I'm getting the 3.25pm train from Cardiff Central tomorrow and then getting the 4.36pm train back on Sat.

Am looking forward to meeting you and hoping we can stay in touch afterwards as we live so near.

Anne x

Highlighted

Hi Jml75 - I'll be in a similar situation to you by the sounds of it ... Starting whole head radiotherapy on weds so will come up after my treatment on the friday and just join in when I get there!  Shame its not under slightly better circumstances but at least the room is there if we don't feel too good!  I have a massive moon face from the steroids so thats not ideal either!!

Highlighted

Thanks Jo!
We have had a copy of Mummy's lump since my original diagnosis in 2012, have read it several times and we found it very helpful in explaining the hair loss at the time and the "strong medicine".
X
Highlighted

Hi JML75

BCC do a publication 'Mummy's lump' which I will put you the link to, which is free just follow the link to order a copy.  You might like to give our helpline team a ring and have a chat with them about talking to your children, they're here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.  I will also put you the link to another of BCC's publications 'talking to your children'

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/mummys-lump-bcc164

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/talking-your-children-about...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Hi!
Can't wait to meet you all this weekend and share some of your experiences.
I have not been very active on this thread despite receiving a couple of quick notes!
Unfortunately I discovered last Tuesday that the cancer has now spread to my brain and I had my first radiotherapy session on Friday! I'll be having 4 more sessions this week before setting off for London on Thursday morning.
Am hoping it doesn't hit me hard and that I can get the most out of this weekend.....

On a separate note, recently I have bought a few children's books on dealing with the issues surrounding cancer, (and a terminal diagnosis). I wondered if any of you guys had any good ones to recommend? My daughters are now 7 and 4 yrs.

The steroids are playing havoc with my sleep - it's 2.50am now so I'd better try and get some sleep!!!!!

See u all soon x
Highlighted

Hi all,

I'm Angela. I'm 39 and have a 6 year old daughter. I was diagnosed when she was 6 months old in Sept 08 and then secondary bone mets in Jan 11 and further bone mets/liver/lung in Sept 11. I've been on capecitabine for very nearly 3 years. I live in London and work part time as a civil servant. I've never really been to any forum or group so I'm really looking forward to meeting you all. I won't be able to meet up Thurs night but see you Friday! Angela xx

Highlighted

Hi I'm Caz and I'm 42. I'll be going down on the Thursday from Manchester. Jane and Janette, the BCC montly meet-ups at the Buddist Centre in town are fab. There are usually about 6-8 people there, including two "youngsters"! x

Highlighted

Hi all, I'm charlotte 35 with a 3 yr old, diagnosed when she was 5 months old. Then almost reached two years remission before it came back in my bones sept13 then liver feb 14. Currently on capcitabane. I'm hoping to come along on Thursday evening. Can't wait for the event

Highlighted

Hi Jane, i'm not going down to London, would have loved to join you all but due to other commitments i cannot make it.
I was interested to see that you live nr Manchester though, i also live very close. I would be love to maybe meet up as like you i have no "met friends" friends except for my lovely forum friends. I am 46 and was dx with primary in 2007 and with mets in March this yr.
Love and hugs Janette xx
Highlighted

Hi all

I'm Annmarie, I am 34 and was diagnosed with primary and secondary at the same time about 18 months ago. I live in Leeds with my husband and 2 children aged 8 and 4. I am coming down on the Friday morning so will see you all then. Looking forward to being in a room where we are all a similar age, instead of a good couple of decades younger lol

Highlighted

Hi. I am Jo from Newport, South Wales. I am 45, was diagnosed with primary in May 2013 and Secondary in January 2014, so it is all a bit new to me. I am a lecturer and have a daughter, age 24 and two step daughters ages 30 and 16. I have a cross cocker spaniel / border collie who keeps me sane. Am really looking forward to meeting you all. Am also staying on Thursday night. See you soon Jo xx
Highlighted

Hi all!
I'm Jane, I am 39 and am coming from nr Manchester.
I was diagnosed with BC in Dec 2012 and secondary lung in May 2014. I have two gorgeous daughters aged 4 and 7 and until March this year was a single mum.
I would love to meet up for dinner but have already booked a ticket to see a show in the afternoon on the Thursday and am afraid that I may be exhausted in the evening after the journey down (fatigue is an ongoing problem for me)!!! I may just see how I get on.............
Have never really sat down and chatted to other young women about my cancer journey so am really excited about sharing experiences with you all.
Jane x
Highlighted

Hi everyone, I'm Emily, 27 and living in Bristol. I was diagnosed primary in march 2011 and then secondary in brain in June this year. I'll be coming on the Thursday too and would love to meet for dinner that evening with those of you who are around!
Emily x

Highlighted

Hi, I'm Lynn and I am 43, diagnosed Dec 2011 with the whole shebang of spread to the liver and bones and it's now appearing in my lungs so back on the horrid IV chemo. I live in Edinburgh with hubby and my daughter who is 7 and son who is 3, so determined to power through the chemo fatigue and side effects. Travelling to London by train Thursday morning, looking forward to meeting new friends and being part of this event. Lynn x
Highlighted

Hello Caverhill72

Welcome to the forums. .
Just to let you know we have a helpline should you want any support or practical information, the free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Highlighted

Hi everyone, I'm Kate. I'm 41 and I live on the east coast of scotland , about 40 miles from Edinburgh, with my unreasonably handsome Cocker Spaniel, Steve. I was diagnosed about a year ago and then a week later I found it was already secondary. I'll be down on the train on the Thursday night and would love to meet up for some grub. Looking forward to the event and meeting everyone.

Kate x

Highlighted

Hi all,

I'm Anne and I'm really excited to be coming to this event.I'll not be staying in the hotel but would like to meet up from late afternoon/evening. I'm 44 and was diagnosed with my primary in 2002 when I was 32 and secondaries in 2008.

Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anne x

Highlighted

Hi everyone, I'm Janine and am 37 and live in Nottingham. I'm hoping to arrange for those who are staying on the Thursday night to all meet up for 🍴 dinner...details to follow. I was diagnosed when I was 32 and secondaries in 2011 aged 34. I have two girl aged 5 and 8 and am a part time college lecturer. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and if you are interested in meeting on the Thursday evening please message me. X Janine

Highlighted

Pilot event in London

Booked a place on the upcoming pilot event for younger women with secondary breast cancer in London?

Each year we receive queries from women concerned about coming along to events like this on their own.
Feedback has said how helpful it was to talk on the Forums beforehand and this thread is a chance for you to say hello and “meet” others attending the event. I will check in regularly and if you have any questions do let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Look forward to meeting you later in the month
Steph