cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pineapple juice as opposed to precribed mouthwash during chemo

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Pineapple juice as opposed to precribed mouthwash during chemo

Hi Pat

Spose on the grand scheme of things and the side effects some women suffer on taxotere I aint been 'that bad'. Not brill but not bad. Keeping hair too using cold cap so thats good so far!!

The furry tongue is horrible istnt it?

Love
S
xx

Highlighted

Re: Pineapple juice as opposed to precribed mouthwash during chemo

Hi S, I am having my 3rd FEC on Thursday, then having 3xTaxotare. I will def try the pineapple juice as I've had the furry tongue and awful taste with the FEC and found sucking on ice lolloes or a piece of pineapple helped. Apparently you shouldn't take grapefruit juice while on chemo, not usre why tho. Best of luck, how have you found the Tax? Pat x

Highlighted

Pineapple juice as opposed to precribed mouthwash during chemo

Hi All

I was dx with primary July 07, had chemo etc. Anyway, as prescribed, I religiously used the chlorhexidine mouthwash I was given. Despite that, from about the 3rd cycle, my mouth started to break down and got worse with each chemo.

Anyway, I was dx with mets Dec 08 and have started taxotere chemo. AFter 1st chemo I used chlorhexidine mouthwash - lo and behold, I developed the horrible change in taste and the FURRY tongue (yeuch!!). I already knew the benefits of pure pineapple juice in mouthcare of those having chemo as I am a nurse, BUT I HATE pineapple juice (makes me all quivery!!)

Just had 2nd taxotere on tuesday and decided to not use chlrohexidine and have braved it and used pure pineapple juice instead. The difference is amazing. I have a slight change in taste but NOTHING compared to with chlorhex and I dont have a furry tongue. My mouth feels so much cleaner and once the taste of pineapple juice goes away after 1/2 hour I am ok! I rinse and gargle with it 3 times a day.

Incidentally , I think it would have to be pure rather than concentrate. I did a study a good few years ago comparing the use of standard mouthwashes for mouth care during chemo and plain saline - there really was not much difference in outcome back then (pre cancer for me!)

Just thought I would write this down as I cant believe the difference and if any of you are having the same troubles give it a try . Would be interested to know if anyone else notices a difference.

TAke care
Love to All
S
xx