Pins & needles in arm and twitching fingers!

Hi all,

I have come off HRT to begin Tamoxifen. I took the first tablet on Tuesday morning. An hour later, I got pins and needles down my right arm, accompanied by involuntary twitching in my fingers snd thumb (right hand)!!!

At first, I wasn’t too concerned, but after about four hours of this, I called MacMillan (tried BCC, but couldn’t get through…) The nurse I spoke to stated that this was not a known side effect of Tamoxifen, and it could be something neurological. She told me to get myself to A&E IMMEDIATELY!! After scaring the life out of me, I went to hospital… Long story short, they couldn’t find anything.

I saw the breast consultant yesterday, who thinks it could just be coincidence. He told me to hold fire on the Tamoxifen, start again next week and see if there’s any reaction. So, as yet, I don’t know whether it was linked to the Tamoxifen, or just a flooky thing!

Does anyone on here have any similar experience of this type of reaction?? I will take a tablet on Monday and see what happens… I’m seeing BCN Weds for prosthesis fitting, so if I get a reaction on Monday, I’ll take another on Wednesday so I can show her what happens! But, I’d be interested to know if it’s just me…

Thanks, Mel.

Hiya Mel.

Sorry this happened, sounds quite scary… I have been on Tamoxifen since July 2013 and not experienced anything like this.  My surgery side is my right side, mx June 2013 (this was my 3rd surgery in 5 weeks wle / re excision then mx) so lots of cutting to nerves etc and i do experience numbness in top of the arm with some what i can only described as stabbing / twitching in lower arm / hand.  I also experience similar stabbing / twitching in lower legs / feet.  I am relating this all to Chemo, as it appears to be very slowly improving, rather than Tamoxifen.

I didn’t take HRT but did have a Mirena Coil fitted two years before diagnosis, at the same time as i had a clear mammogram (coincidence).  Two years later found lump which turned out to be 6.5cm idc.  Consultant recommended i had it removed asap as Tumour ER+ 8/8 PR+8/8.  GP Nurse happy to oblige 1st thing next morning…I will never know if this was a contributing factor…

Good Luck with trying the Tamoxifen again Mel.  Take Care  Gilly x

Thanks Gilly. Sounds like I need to give up the vino!!! Oh nooooooooo!!! My greatest pleasure in life!!!

Hi all
The following booklet contains some information about black cohosh, please also feel free to call our helpline to talk it through too on 0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/menopausal-symptoms-breast-cancer-bcc18

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I’m just about to download the booklet to look into… I went back to work today!! On reduced hours, so can finish now and read the booklet.

Thanks again everyone, Mel, x

Me again!

Well, I’ve decided to ditch the black cohosh as it’s not recommended to be taken with ER+ cancer according to NICE. I’ve decided to invest in a ‘Chillow’ as I have some Amazon vouchers to use. I’ll see if that helps with the night sweats. There’s also a cooling mattress topper that you plug in and set your preferred temperature… I must admit, I’m tempted, but it’s £300, so I think I’ll see how the Chillow goes first.

I’m going to speak to my BCN next time I see her, or consultant when I see him, to check if I’m suitable for any of the prescription drugs that help with the menopausal symptoms, I’m currently finding these the hardest thing to deal with at the moment. If I had a shower every time I had a hot flush or night sweat, I’d never sleep, run up a massive water bill, and be permanently wet!! Mind you, I feel like I’m permanently wet already! ???