Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning meeting

18 REPLIES 18
Lizzie

Re: Planning meeting

Hi Jane,

Thank you that is reassuring.  I had my Initial meeting today  and the doctor said up to six months is fine.  I thought this would be my planning meeting but it was more an informative meeting and getting consent - planning still to come.

Looking forward to getting on with it and putting it behind us.

I hope you are fully recovered now x

jane888

Hi Guys, I've been thru planning and radiation but whilst i  was recovering from lumpectomy and SNB . I had alot of issue with leaking fluid and the wound not healing under my arm. I was also very concern because we kept putting off the planning and radiation date. My Oncologist told me that for optimal results, we have a 7 month window from surgery to radiation. I am in Australia but i would imagine it would be the same for UK. Hope this helps to ease your mind

Lizzie

Hi Basis,

Good luck for 1st August - we can compare notes!  X

Basia

I understand your anxieties Lizzie   My operation was a month after yours on the 6th June and it feels a long time before starting treatment  

My Planning meeting is on the 1st August so maybe we will be having treatment at the same time  Hope all goes well for you - and the other ladies - starting treatment soon xx

Lizzie

I have my initial appointment with the oncologist next week,2nd August - it feels like a long time since my op on 3rd May.  I'd almost forgotten I'd had cancer.  Just want to get it done and finished with now. 

Hope everyone else is doing ok and getting through their treatment xo

maggie aitken

mine was a bit one sided, not a joint planning more of a technological occaision:  was CAT scanned and had tattoo marks made to demonstrate precise position for treatment.. all done in less than 10  minutes, and I am told that actual appointments, inclusive of getting changed and dressed again, are 12 minutes!

MAHJfarn20

Thanks x
Lizzie

Thank you - you've made me realise it's ok to.make a fuss and I do need to chase this. I'll let you know how I get on xo
rubycat

Lizzie, this forum has been essential for me throughout this process - full of wonderful, caring and knowledgeable women.  Whatever you're feeling, thinking or going through, there is always someone here who understands and will take the time to help. Enjoy your time away. Cat Happyxxx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Lizzie

I agree with Rubycat...try to chase this up if possible. I must admit in my case, I had very good bcn's, who were good at sorting these things out. Try the secretary, or even your gp.

For me the planning meeting was a week before rads started. Perhaps because of your delay, this can also be quicker. Hope this gets sorted and let us know how you get on xx

Lizzie

Thanks Rubycat - it's comforting to know someone is listening and understands. Yes, it might be helpful to ring the surgeons Secretary - I'll give that a try. I'm away right now but home on Sunday. Thank you x
rubycat

Hello Lizzie, just butting in here, I'm 2 years on now, but can feel how frustrating this is for you when  you've recovered from op and want to get things moving. My hospital was in a group of 3, so I said I would go to any of them, whichever could fit me in first.  Do think you should contact your BCN, ( Cat Mad) or the Surgeon's Secretary, to get an answer as to why you are having to wait so long.  Hope you get fixed up soon.  Oh, the planning appt can be very close to starting rads, not always another long wait. Cat Happyxxx

Lizzie

Hi Michelle, sounds like you've had a tough old time if it - I really hope the next part runs smooth. Xo
Lizzie

Hi Sue,

I was grade 2, 15mm, with clear snb.  To be honest the only reason I can see for the delay is lack of staff.  I am trying not to worry too much as am hoping if it wasn't ok they wouldn't keep me waiting this long.  However, I know its way outside of NICE guidelines and 9/8 is only the initial.meeting so likely to be well over the 12 weeks by the time they start rads.  It's at times like these I wish I had private health cover.  I'm trying not to be negative as I know how lucky I've been that it was caught early - at my first routine mammogram - I'm 50,  but the waiting is hard and I have to admit I've felt quite low.  

I'm thinking of calling my bc nurse for some reassurance but that's a whole other story - it's very difficult to get to speak with her -  usually takes at least 5 days.

I hope you are doing ok and have had a good experience (as much as it can be) so far x

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Lizzie

That does seem to be a long wait after your surgery. Is there any reason for delay? I was told by my oncologist that there was a 12 week window between surgery and follow on treatment. I think your just about in that? Maybe it depends on your type of BC?

Hope it all goes well xx

MAHJfarn20

Hi. I had lumpectomy and SNB on 25/4. Unfortunately it wasn't successful as they originally said the tumour was 6mm but once inside, they found it to be a lot bigger-removed 5.5cm and still didn't have clear margins. I had a mastectomy on 23/6.Still very sore. My BCN suggested it would probably be week beg 11 or 18 August. Seeing consultant this Friday so hoping to have appt booked very soon. Hope yours goes well...I think I'll be a little behind you. X
Lizzie

Hi Michelle, 

I'm due in August too the 9 th should be my initial appointment but it hasn't been confirmed yet.  

I'm really concerned about how long it is taking as my lumpectomy and SNB was back on 3rd May!  I'm worried that the chance of recurrence will be greater because of how big the gap is between my op and the rads.

Hope your initial appointment goes well.

SandraSussex

Hi!

Mine took about 50 minutes! Had a chat about the radiotherapy and any questions then CT scan and tattoos.

Good luck x
MAHJfarn20

Planning meeting

Hi. I am due to start radiotherapy sometime mid August. Can anyone tell me how long planning meeting is? 

Thanks

Michelle.x