Planning rads...what to expect

Hello rad gang!

Have 2 more chemos left and am having my very first meet with rads people next week to plan my next bit of treatment.

I’m nervous about being under the care of a whole new set of people and going to a different hospital to the one where I’ve been having chemo…

Any tips re what to ask and prepare for in the planning? I have asked my onc all I ever really want to know about my prognosis etc so am worried this will all come up again at rads. While I’m feeling positive don’t really want to become miserable if they will go through everything from the beginning again…

Any advice much appreciated as always!

L xx

Hi Lizalou,

Rads will be easy after chemo so don’t worry. The only downside is the daily trek for weeks on end.

Prepare your skin by using E45 or Aquerous cream on the area to be treated and use this at least twice a day during treatment. You cannot shave, wax or use hair removal cream during treatment and no deoderant. Also, use a soap such as Johnsons gentle wash for the treated area as you cannot use soaps, showergels or body lotion on that area. Drink at least 2 litres of water a day to combat the tiredness.

I can’t think of anything else but its not too bad.

Kat x

Lizalou - you will be fine. Just remember to spoil yourself a lot during rads and delegate a few of the daily chores. I thought I was doing fine until it finished and then I realised how exhausted I was as I had continued working full time and running the household. So be kind to yourself as you so rightly deserve. Good Luck XX

Lizalou,

Please see the thread in this category “Any top tips for rads newbies” started by princess 18.

I echo Olivia, you will be fine. It will all happen very quickly! Good luck!

Margaret

The planning was fine -only problem was that I ached a little by being in the same position for so long - took about 30 mins. I had 2 tattoos - they didn’t hurt at all (but 1 looks like a huge blackhead that needs squeesing!!!)
The team weregreat - they didn’t mention anything about my cancer they only concentrated on getting the machines set up correctly to get started with rads - i start next Monday. They took lots of x-rays which they showed me and explained everything. they have to be careful on how much lung they capture - i believe they said they cannot capture more than 2 square centimetres - mine was 1.6 so it was fine.

Don’t think I can add much that hasn’t been said above already, they just talk you through what will happen at the planning meeting, put you on the machine and then do a couple of tatoos. I had to go back a week later as a run through to check everything was OK and on first visit I was there in the same position for a while while they took photos, now I am barely in for 10 minutes! It take longer for them to put you in the position than do the zapping. You will be fine, if you survived the chemo this should seem a doddle!

Nicky

fabulous thanks so much for this is reassuring to know I don’t have to go through all the big old let’s talk about your cancer stuff again. Have read kelly’s thread which is also v helpful. Right, off to moisturise!!
xx

Hi all,

now I’m bricking it as I’ve just had a phone call from the radiotherapy dept at my hosp to arrange my rads planning session!! I am going on Thurs 18th Oct. Seeing my surgeon for a 6 month check-up the day before so its yet another week filled with hosp appts!!

Don’t know why I’m nervous but I am so this thread is great for me,

Thanks for starting it Lizalou!

Take care all,

Kelly
-x-

Kelly

Am going for my 1st measuring up for rads on Tuesday so will let you know.

Norma x

Hi Kelly

Know what after all we#ve been through I was really nervous this morning going for my measuring up. Didn’t have wait long and a nurse called Clive who was a little sweetie ( literally) and by that I mean I didn’t mind undressing in front of him if you get the meaning. Anyway he was lovely and all I did was removed my clothes above waist, then lie on a bed. There is a huge big round machine at your head end where you lie. Its not scary and you are not enclosed. They then raise your arms and put them behind you head in sort of stirrups but very comfie. Then they seem to do all sorts of measurements and mark skin with a pen ( I think). When they happy they just tell you to relax and breathe normally and they go into a room but are watching through a windoww. The machine then makes noises and lights flash and at one time you move through the ring (its only about 2ft deep so not scary) and then back again while it takes all the measurement. They then mark your skin with ink and then just lift the skin with a tiny needle to make a small tattoo mark. No pain whatsoever and nothing to be scared of… After that got dressed and went home.

So don’t worry it’s fine ( worse bit for me was the journey there !)

Love Norma

Hi Norma,

thank you so much for that, its been really really helpful. I am going for my planning on Oct 18th and am apprehensive about it already!!! At least I totally know what to expect now, although I still get butterflies in my tummy when I think about it!

Have they given you a start date yet? I’m glad you got on ok,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Norma,

just seen on the other thread that you are starting on the 15th, all the best for that!

Kelly
-x-