cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Surgeon Appointment this week

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Plastic Surgeon Appointment this week

Hi Greenpea I hope you let us know what you decide and how it all goes.
I had 1st op in Feb 08 but no clear margin so 2nd op April 1st and got all clear. Then followed an infection in the scar which resulted in a big dip in the breast. Now look a bit like a cottage loaf!!My BCN is brill and she got a surgeon to look at me last week, she said that after my 3 wks Radiotherapy (which starts next week) they will look at me again and she is sure that something can be done like a scar lift. I also have a dip under the breast that goes upwards when I lift my arm. They gave me a "shell" which at least makes me look the same size for the time being. Even though I have not had a mastectomy I have been very consious of the appearance of the operated on boob, I feel much happier now. They think after my rads I will change shape yet again and the dip may become harder and more difficult to clean etc so although I dont relish more surgery it may have to be. When I move my arm for example when writting or cutting food my boob folds and the feeling is really weird, so I can understand why they are concerned.
Please keep in touch and anyone else who has had this sort of surgey I would love to hear from you.
best wishes Wendy x

Highlighted

Hi Carol
Thanks so much for that. I knew I could rely on the women on here to nswer my queries.
It sounds pretty good doesn't it? I still think I'll do a bit more research before making any decisions. Aren't we lucky though, having all this technology these days. I feel very fortunate to have such a forward thinking and supportive team looking after me.
Greenpea x

Highlighted

Hi

This article was in the Daily Mail recently. Worth a look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1172176/ME-AND-MY-OPERATION-My-breast-rebuilt-stem-cells-t...

Best wishes.

Carol

Highlighted

Hi everyone
Had appointment today with plastic surgeon who says he could offer me a rather new intervention called liposculpture. It involves taking fat cells from my stomach(enough there!!)and making a plug of stem cells from them and then implanting them into my breast to make the unevenness less noticeable. This also helps to heal the scar from the insde thus lifting it off the chest wall where it's stuck. It sounds too good to be true. Anyone else heard of this or know of anyone who has had this done who would be willing to talk to me about it please?
Thanks
Greenpea x

Highlighted

hi greenpea

i no how you feel even tho i havent had cancer i have had 3 lumpectomes due to fibroadenomas and now from all the surgery i hae uneven boobs which is noticable i dont think your being silly it must be very diffcult well good luck with your appoment and take care .

starsforever xxx

Highlighted

Hi Greenpea,
I know what you mean, it was tough to decide to have the good side operated on, especially at my advanced age(62). But I felt so self-concious as it was, and I like to swim for exercise and I had stopped doing that as I didn't feel comfortable in a swimsuit.

But waiting to see what is on offer is a good idea, and if you are uncertain you can always reconsider in the future. Have you discussed it with your BCN? If you have a good one that might be an idea.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Jojoxxx

Highlighted

Oh Jojo
Thankyou so much for responding. It sounds like we have the same problem. Glad your op has gone ok. I'm just a bit reluctant to have an op if it's not absolutely necessary but I worry that it might get worse with age. I'm nearly 50 and think I should be grateful for what I've got. I'm so fed up with having to watch what I wear because it's so noticeable. Oh, I don't know, perhaps I'll wait to see what he'll offer me. If he can do something to release the scar and not do anything to thr healthy side then I'll be happy. Lets wait and see.

Highlighted

Hi Greenpea,
I had WLE in November 07 followed by radio, and was very differently sized, much as you describe. I also had a very retracted scar, which pulled in, dividing my WLE side into two. Quite painful and very difficult to fit a bra. Three weeks ago I had the scar released, and a reduction and lift on the good side. Although I am still quite swollen, it already looks better than before. Only you can know how important it is to you, but its certainly all possible.

Jojoxxx

Highlighted

Plastic Surgeon Appointment this week

Hi Everyone
Haven't been on here for ages. Thought I could cope by myself but not so sure again!
I have an appointment with the PS this week to see if there is anything he can do to help with my uneven breasts.
I'm 18 months post diagnosis. I've had WLE and total clearance with Chemo and rads following surgery. I'm now on Tamoxifen.
My problem is that my boobs are totally different sizes now, possibly 2 cup sizes smaller on the affected side. Also the skin is so tight it feels that my breast is under my arm. I know I shouldn't be moaning because at least I've got two breats but it is so painful to wear a bra because of it. It's also restricting my arm movement because it's so tight. This has only happened since radiotherapy.
The oncologist thought that they could release some scar tissue on one and give me a "lift" on the good side. I said that I'm not keen on having an operation on the healthy boob. He said not to mention this to the plastic surgeon! What do you think I should do? Am I being silly about not having a "boob job"?