68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please can I share here as no one else is noticing!

Lazydaisy1

Re: Please can I share here as no one else is noticing!

Sadly no but am going down to Portsmouth to child mind for a week then off Cornwall for a week or so .Really looking forward to it Gird your loins Rick Stien I'm a coming or as my husband would say 'run for the hills mate'!!!

Steph xxxx sorry for being silly - Champers taking effect!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Steph - Wonderful news! Are you literally flying off somewhere, or did you just mean you feel great?

MonsterMauler - No I am in Hampshire. Maybe it is standard wording. Having said that, annalou24 said that her letter said "no suspicious features".

It's good, however they word it!

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

That's great news LasyDaisy. I am so pleased for you.

Ann_04 my mammo results letters say "showed no worrying features" too. Do you attend North Manchester General Hospital by any chance?

Guest user
Not applicable

That's great news LasyDaisy. I am so pleased for you.

Ann_04 my mammo results letters say "showed no worrying features" too. Do you attend North Manchester General Hospital by any chance?

Lazydaisy1

Hi all - flying right now and will definitely open be opening 'that bottle of champagne' tonight - got the all clear from the first mammogram .
Phew !! It's all a bit stressful isn't. Really feel that I can put the last year well into the past ( well thats today anyway - you all know how it is up today down tomorrow!).

Hope you are all doing o.k and have a good week - onward and upward girls. Steph XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks, Dianne. It was a relief. I don't know why they take so long. I suppose they have to get a team together to look at it and it is the holiday season. I remember this time last year having to wait longer for the results of my MRI scan because one of the team was on holiday.

Welshgirl said before that if she was having one of her 'highs', she found it better not to communicate as she becomes outspoken. Maybe that is why she is not on here - or she could be away, I suppose.

Hope you all have a good weekend and that the rain clears up.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, Ann, that's terrific news, so pleased for you. I don't understand either why it takes so long in some places to get results. They are the bane of our lives aren't they. No wonder we're all bloody paranoid. My friend went to Lincoln County (where I go) and she was just having a routine mammogram. They sent a letter within 5 days telling her it was clear. Amazing. I had one earlier in the year there on my remaining breast and they told me immediately that it was clear. Yet, prior to that when I lived in the North East, it was sometimes 2 to 3 weeks before I heard anything.

Steph, that's a good idea of Ann's, why don't you ring them up, you've got nothing to lose, the worst they can say is that they don't know them yet.

Still no word from Welshgirl, getting really worried now.

Take care everyone and have a happy and stressfree weekend. Lots of love, Dianne x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks, ladies.

Steph, how long did they say yours would be? They told me they would write within two weeks and it was about 9 days. Perhaps you could ring your BCN.

Welshgirl - Hope all is well with you.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies - i don't pop in to this thread often but its nice to read everyone's news. I am now thinking its been an age since welsh girl posted and i do hope she's ok.

Lynn

x.

Lazydaisy1

Ha !! still waiting for my results !!! why are different areas so varied in their approaches. Seriously though Ann great news - onward and upward then, all the way .

Kirsty how are you doing ? - please drop us a line - I know that I wont be the only one wondering how your doing.

Stephanie XX

sandra4

Hi Ann
Really pleased your mammogram came back clear, another worry out of the way!
Hugs
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well, that was quick! I received a hospital letter this morning about my the mammogram I had on 11th August telling me that it "showed no worrying features". Good news, as far as it goes. Paranoid, me?

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, hope you are all well today. Just to reply to Marjay, doesn't seem like anyone has heard from Welshgirl lately. I'm becoming concerned as she posted quite regularly. I do hope she's ok and maybe just having a break from the site.

Take care everyone and have a good and painfree day.

Lotsa love, Dianne x x x

marjay12

Hi All,

Anyone heard from Welshgirl? Hope you are alright W -we would all love to hear from you. Sending you lots of cyber hugs!

Marjay xxx

Lynberi

Hi ladyg

Thanks for your reply, sorry I haven’t replied until now but I haven’t been on the site. Thanks for the info about the book and about publishing, that’s really helpful. Your book sounds great, I’ll look forward to seeing it published, do you have a title yet?

I’m in Manchester so we couldn’t all meet but a phone call arrangement would be good. Send me a message rather than posting phone numbers if you like. It’s always nice to speak and compare notes and you don’t always get the chance in the hospital as you are called for your appointment etc.

Hope everyone is getting on ok xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Kirsty
I would second what Jodie and Sandra are saying - there is support out there if you reach out to it. Yes, some people might react a bit awkwardly or unhelpfully, but others will show themselves to be true, wonderful friends. Your OH sounds like a good man and perhaps would also appreciate support. I hope you will be kind to yourself - be your own best friend - what would you advise them?
there is as much support as you want here - please talk to us and don't isolate yourself

love to you and all my buddies
monica xxx
W - thinking of you xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Kirsty, so sorry to hear you are feeling so alone. I agree with Sandra. It's not good for you to be hiding away and isolating yourself. This disease takes so much from us all and you need all the support you can get. We all have the comments about how well we look and how strong we are as Sandra says. I just smile and say thanks, can't be bothered to go into every little detail. But I do believe that most people are genuinly concerned, they just don't what else to say. I'm also always ready for a laugh and a joke like Sandra and you will probably see from the various posts that I tend towards 'black humour' to get me through this. I've also had to give up my job and I'm 62 so you are not alone. It took me a couple of months to get over not working as I loved it, but I'm fine with it now. The ladies on here are marvellous and a great support and they are always here for you.

I really do hope that you are feeling a bit better today. Be kind to yourself (I mean selfish really, just do whatever makes YOU happy and don't worry about anybody else.) You sound as if you have a loving and supportive husband which is great.

Hope everyone else is well today and that you are all having a happy and painfree weekend.

Where are you Welsh Girl? we're all concerned.

Lotsa love to you all, Dianne x x x

Loads of love to you

sandra4

OH Kirsty, sorry only just read your post.
Gosh you must be able to hide things well?

But it is not good for you to turn yourself into a recluse, and of course not fair on your OH! Have you a problem with OH's family? they need to know, it doesn't mean you have to see them, but for your OH, they need to know, perhaps they could give him support.

Perhaps you are still in denial, perhaps you wont be able to cope with the comments, like....you will be ok, you are strong!.....or the doom and gloom comments, that we have all had to deal with. It is very difficult for people to say the right things to us, because the problem is ours, and it is a long lonely journey that we are on. I told everyone straight away.
l am afraid l am one of these people that are always ready for a laugh and joke, all of a sudden it went. so people soon noticed. I had an elderly man come up to me one day, l only say hello and and odd word to him, he said l know there is something wrong, and l am not going to ask, you will tell me when you are ready! l was shocked to find l was so transparent!

Perhaps your OH could tell people, and asked them not to make too much of a fuss when talking to you, as you are still coming to terms with it. And then you will be able to talk to them when and if you are ready.

Good Luck in whatever way you decide to go
Love and Hugs
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Kirsty16 - Hope you're feeling a bit better. Have you discussed with your husband why you don't want anyone to know about it? Perhaps it would be helpful if he broke the news. It seems a shame that you have backed yourself into a corner over it and can't go out much. You may be surprised at the support you would get.

Ann xx

sandra4

W....And from Sandra, sending lots of love and hugs all the way from my home to yours!
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

and from Monica
sending love to yopu all
W - hope you are OK xxxxx
mon

Guest user
Not applicable

Ditto of 'Lazydaisy' and 'Lynvee' messages for 'Welshgirl'. Hope you are doing ok but be good to hear from you either way x

Guest user
Not applicable

You ok W.? No posts for a wee while?

Lynn

Kirsty16

Hello Just butting in on this thread !! reading it has made me realise why I havnt told any friends I see face to face , or family or aquaintances come to that, about my BC - I think I guessed how it might be - either having to support them, or awkwardness or as you are saying now, having them thinking 'its over" as soon as treatment stops .

Trouble is now, with the chemo SEs , esp hair loss, I'm having to be a recluse - Stupid me !! Being retired, older, and given up a few activities this year, realising i've gradually become a bit of recluse, except for wonderful hubbie. He's gettign fed up making excuses for my absences.

May have to "come out" soon but still dont want his family to know or everyone that knows me. Cant quite work out why yet. Maybe dont want people to think i"ve one foot in the grave for ever more.

Bit of a low day, mid way thro chemos. Sorry.

Lazydaisy1

O.K Welsh Girl you've gone into hibernation again or have been whisked off on a world cruise and had no time to post. So hope your fine Post soon Steph XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies, Been reading all the last few posts with great interest. Can only tell you from my own experience. It's over 18 years since I was first diagnosed, had the mastectomy, chemo, rads, tamoxifen etc. (I have secondaries now, bummer!!) I think that for me the process took about 2 years, it seemed to have a knock on effect but eventually I did stop thinking that every ache and pain was cancer. I didn't have a recon for 13 years and prior to that the only time I got upset was at Christmas when I couldn't find clothes with high necklines. - Sounds stupid now, but it used to really upset me. The books you are writing sound terrific and I'm sure it must also be therapeutic. Well done to all of you.

I think that as far as friends go, they simply run out of things to say and because we all start to look the same as we did before bc, they want to think that we're back to 'normal'. I have some very close friends here and although they have been marvellous, they still want to believe that I will eventually recover even though I've explained that this time it will not go away and will eventually see me off!! They all ask a cursory 'How are you' and as soon as I say 'fine thanks', they launch into long stories about their own aches and pains etc. I just sit and smile and nod patiently until the subject is changed. It can be very wearing though, so I do understand how you all feel.

Well, I think I've rabbitted on long enough, just read through it and it sounds like a load of rubbish, but it's meant with the best of intentions.

Hope you all have a wonderful and painfree (and worry free) weekend. Lots of love, Dianne x x x

PS. I'm in Lincolnshire, so couldn't manage London very often, but the phone sounds like a good idea. Several of my other 'cyber friends' have joined Facebook and we all talk and send pics on there. x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I do feel better talking with people who understand.

ljmostlyautumn, my book is about my research on diet, the health benefits of superfoods, spices etc and also includes some recipes. During my treatment, I went into warrior mode and did alot of research. Found so much information, I thought I'd shre it with people whether they've been sick or not.

There's a book you can use called "The writer's handbook" which lists all publishers and type of books/topics they are interested in publishing.

Lynberi, if you haven't gone too far, I'd suggest you get the book mentioned above and try to find an interested publisher so you can get an advance while writing the book. If you've finished writing, like i did and pitch it to them, you wouldn't get any payments until sales and royalties kick in.

Whereabouts are you guys? I'm in London. I was thinking it might be a good idea to start up what I'd call a "wellness posse". The idea is to make contact with other wellness warriors like you ladies on the phone to have a good conversation. Being online is great but most times I'd actually want to have a good conversation on the phone and possibly meet up once in a while. What do y'all think? Good idea or not, let me know.

Guest user
Not applicable

I did post it further up this thread but here it is again. This is the link to the full version:-

http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/northsouth/extra4.nsf/WebResHarvey?OpenView&ExpandAll&Count=500

Ann x

Lynberi

Hi ladyg and ljmostlyautumn,

Good luck with your books, I am also writing but am a long way from publishing and don't really know where to start. Any advice would be most welcome.
Ladyg, as far as how you feel at the end of treatment, there was a brilliant article with a link posted on this site called Life After Treatment and it was written by Dr.Peter Harvey. It hit the nail on the head and I felt exactly as he said. Not sure what the link is but perhaps you could do a search on the site or put it in Google.
Good luck with it all and just remember you are not alone in your feelings.
xx

ljmostlyautumn

although supportive, friends simply cannot understand what it has been like. I know that when I told a few friends of my diagnosis, they just thought I would die, and because I am still here, hair grown back, recon done, they think it's all over and can't have been that bad. One of the mums from school almost makes me feel like a fraud for the sympathy I got from others!! Cutting these people out of your close sphere of friends helps enormously - as does reading messages like those above. Thanks ladies. xxxxx

ljmostlyautumn

LadyG- I have just finished recon and feel like you too. Good luck with your book - and congratulations on getting it published. Is the book about your experiences? I have just finished writing mine - doing final editing and putting a submission together. Can you give me any advice about finding a publisher? I found the writing gave me something worthwhile to focus on which helped a bit with feeling alone, and I'd love to help others as they go through similar.
<<Hugs>>,
Lisa.

Guest user
Not applicable

Steph - I don't think you are supposed to have more than one mammogram a year because of the x-rays. I doubt you will get another this year.

Yes, it hurt!!!!

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ladyg - Don't think much of your 'friend'. I agree that no-one understands unless they have been through it. Have you read this?

http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/northsouth/extra4.nsf/WebResHarvey?OpenView&ExpandAll&Count=500

It's about how we feel after all the treatment is over. May help a bit.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

Just had my final recon surgery a week ago and couldn't wait for the date to come round. Now it's done, I feel so alone. My friends and family think I should just get happy it's all done and be normal. What is normal??

A friend told me today, they have all supported me through my treatment the last couple of years, so I should not be upset if they don't call me to check up on me. I didn't realise there was an expiry date on supporting a friend going through BC.

Reading all your posts has given me a bit of reassurance that I'm not going bonkers! I guess the best thing to do is not expect too much from friends as they'll never understand what I'm going through and I'm pretty sick of trying to explain myself. They all seem to think I can now forget that I had bc, like I could ever forget it happened to me.

I have written a book which is going to be published next year. I guess I should be happy and looking forward to that but it all seems like such an anti-climax.

Can you really get back to a "Normal" life, whatever normal means?? How do you stop needing that support system we all had during treatment?? How do you begin to stand on your own two feet again without the wobbles??

Ladyg

Guest user
Not applicable

Sorry you are feeling like this but you are not alone, I finished my treatments in May and everyone thought I would be celebrating-but I
felt so low and lonely perhaps it was the fact that during treatment we had the company of nurses, doctors, fellow patients etc to help us along and were counting each stage until the end and then a big space in our lives. Check in your area to see if there are Breast Cancer Care groups I have gone to a couple of events on my own and found it very beneficial to speak to others I actually felt relieved when I spoke to women who had more problems than me. I find that people think because its over our lives will return to normal which they won't but we have to be thankful and appreciate what we have and enjoy it although some days will be dull. Good luck Lynmac.

Lazydaisy1

Hi Everyone - in asnwer to your question Ann no only the offer for me to ring for results - there was an expectation I should wait until Dec. when I am next scheduled to see the Onc !! as if !! I still am of the opinion he didnt cancel my mammo after I saw him in Spring but I wasn't going to say that because I mentally needed this check so kept quiet !! So hopefully I will also get one which is scheduled in Nov too.
No - was fine after .....just in shock at how much it hurt .

Went aurora borialis hunting on the Yorkshire Moors till 4.am theother night he he was fun

Have a good week end Steph XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Brilliant news!

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls, Been away all week so unable to post. Steph, I'm so glad your mammo is over, sorry that it hurt but at least it's done now. Ann, I'll be thinking of you on the 11th. In answer to your question about compartmentalising - I do try and manage to succeed most of the time, but not always!! For example, last weekend (it had to be the weekend didn't it??) I woke up with a lump high up on my cheekbone. To say I was frightened is putting it mildly. I got no joy from the oncology department who told me to ring back on Monday but as my Onc is on holiday that was a waste of time! I had an awful couple of days but on Monday morning I went to the GP who examined me and said it definitely wasn't cancer. He then sent me to the local Hospital for an x-ray and the technician was wonderful. Although they're not allowed to tell you anything he knew how worried I was and after the x-ray he asked me to sit in the waiting room for a minute. He then came towards me saying he'd got everything he needed but as he was saying it he put his thumb up in front of him. I could have kissed him (in fact I think I did)!!

Also, two of my lovely friends on another thread had gone to the trouble of researching my medication and went to great lengths to get in touch with me to let me know that it was probably a side effect of the bondronat. Just amazing. I love the wonderful women on this site.

Well, I think I've waffled on long enough for one day. I do hope that you are all feeling well today and that you all have a peaceful and happy weekend.

Loads of love to you all, Dianne x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Steph, that didn't sound much fun:-( Did it just hurt during, or did it last afterwards? I still find if I do anything too strenuous, I know about it later. I know you said you will ring, but are they going to write to you? Hopefully, you will have recovered after a good night's sleep - well, you never know (about the sleep, I mean).

Ann x

Lazydaisy1

Ouch .....ouch...... ouch.. Took paracetamol but it was abit painful on the op side, but really girls it's nothing like we've already been through - it wasn't too bad as I had a lovely , sensitive and very quick radiologist.Yes it isn't pleasant but it over in under 20 minutes that's 5 mins per shot ...well under that really because that included getting dressed. To be honest I really don't think painkillers made much of a difference it's a mind set thing and I feel abit of a wimp because I wimpered ........ and the lady in front of me didn't !! my husband said he heard me appologise !! Going to have an early night feel completely shattered - didn't realise how stressful it would be.

Radiologist confirmed that 3 weeks should be about right for results - will ring BCN or ONC sec. or surgeons sec. spoilt for choice.

Take care all hope you have a good radiologist like me. Steph XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Steph - Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Yes, I'll come and save you. I'll be watching for the headlines. I love the idea of house-sitting a mansion. You must have some rich friends.

Wendy - Your day of pampering sounds good. Hope you enjoy the birthday celebrations.

Monica - I know what you mean about keeping it in a compartment until the results come through. I tend to do that about all sorts of things. It can be very tiring, though, trying not to think about it.

Dianne - Are you able to do that - compartmentalise, I mean?

Sleep well, everyone.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi honeys
good look to Steph and Ann, hope your mammos go ok and that you manage not to hurt your radiographer Steph!
Wendy, your hair sounds great - hope you enjoy the birthday celebs and also that you get good results...I'm a week behind you re mammo results, just keeping it all in a little box in my head til the envelope falls on the mat and then its out with the Tena ladys!
hope alls well with everyone
xxxmonica

Guest user
Not applicable

I wish...
No my 'pleasure' was a massage and my hair coloured!
Because I've been out of sorts with my bp episode my roots were nearly an inch of grey! Now I'm looking stunning with my spiky crop of pure brunette, which do match my eyebrows at least...
However, what do I do when it's time to lay down???
These spikes will look like 'horns' by tomorrow morning!!!
Off to stay with friends for a two day birthday celebration tomorrow so I want to look my best, it might take some time.....!!!!

Regarding pain of mammogram I'm sorry I can't help. I've only got one now and that was ok but I think after surgery it would be quite tender. Also they do pull you around sometimes, so beware Steph's radiographer! We'll be watching for headlines!
So glad we can laugh about it with each other, it is a bonus isn't it?

I'll be thinking of you both when you go for your check ups. It does unfortunately bring back some sad memories.
Keep in touch, Wendy xx

Lazydaisy1

Ooooops lost you all and nearly finished typing too. Here goes for a second time .

Taking a painkiller sounds good to me I'll trial it for you Ann and report back .....or I'll be on the front page for attacking my radiologist ( I shall be pleading self defense ) which ever gets to you first -I shall expect you to come to my aid and save me from transportation.

Good to hear your putting yourself first Welsh Girl . Have many more days like that....... Didn't involve an Italian Gigolo and a large bottle of Chanti did it ...... No .... you disappoint me !

Had a lovely weekend hoouse-sitting in Portsmouth and have found the house of my dreams whilst driving around . Anyone got 1.25 million handy ! Oh well back to my little suburban box. Take care girls - always in my thoughts Steph XX

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for your good wishes, ladies. Mine's on the 11th, btw. I was wondering whether any of you have found the mammogram more painful after surgery. When I was on HRT, I found it excruciating and I am no wimp. Now my breasts are not 'hormonal', I thought it might be less painful but not sure, due to the surgery. I was thinking of taking a painkiller first. Any thoughts?

Good luck with your results, everyone.

Ann x

Guest user
Not applicable

I'm still waiting for my results after two weeks...
Am very aware that I am trying to keep busy but this state of limbo is very reminiscent of former times when it was so dreadfully scary!
Maybe I'm more used to waiting now after three lots of bad news and three operations! However, I've never known two weeks go so slowly...
Wondering whether I should call my BCN...???

Hey ho, back to keeping busy and looking for diversions.

Really hope your mammogram goes ok tomorrow Steph and Ann, whenever yours is....
Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.

Hi to Jodie. Hope you're ok and enjoying this sunshine. I'm going back to the laundry now and the kitchen sink after an afternoon of pleasure. (Pleasure by my standards is very tame but even so pleasure is pleasure after all!!!!)

Thinking of you all and hope we're all facing forward again.

Love from Wendyxx

Lazydaisy1

Hey ho first mammogram tomorrow ! watched the dawn come in this morning - was going to see if anyone else was awake but couldn't get out of bed without waking other half who I must say is being close to human over the last few days !! see miracles do happen.

I'm feeling lumps and bumps all over the place - hypochondria here I come - could get a degree in it now.

Glad your all still posting - good luck Ann I know yours isn't too far off . Steph xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, Monica, you've really made my morning. I could just picture you trying to creep away from the window and then the shock when he found you. Hilarious.

I know how you all feel about the 'waiting game'. I'm starting to feel the same way now. When they took me off the chemo and put me on the Arimidex the onc said I didn't need to see him for 2 months and assured me it wouldn't spread any further in the meantime. I have to see him in a couple of weeks time and I'm starting to panic in case the tumour markers haven't gone down. I understand the anxiety build up because that's exactly what I'm like. On the day I go to see him, I'll be hanging off the ceiling!

Wendy, you seem to stil be on 'the up' - that's great, long may it last.

Ann, hope all is well with you and the mammo shows good results.

Take care of yourselves everyone and have a happy day. Loads of love, Dianne x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

I've always got a letter about 3 weeks later. I've never had a 'routime' mammo they've always been cancer related - I hope you get proper notification.
take care
monica xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks, Wendy. Yes, it doesn't take much to make us worry, does it? I agree with what you said about not knowing what is normal now. I was a bit disturbed when at my last check with one of the surgical team, I was told that it is more often the patient who finds a problem, not the mammogram or examination. How am I to know what is suspicious, now that my breast is full of scar tissue, especially as I had lobular bc, which is normally felt as thickening? Scar tissue feels thick!

I am glad you feel able to post on here once more. We have all been thinking of you. I do so hope your mammogram results will be good, and yours too, Monica. I didn't realise you had a scan as well. Sorry, I must have missed that post, or I have forgotten......!

I have no idea how long I shall have to wait for my results. Do they just write to you if they are clear? I seem to remember prior to bc, that I just used to ring the surgery to make sure they were ok. Hopefully, we are actually informed in some way, now.

Ann x