Please can anyone help?

Please can anyone help?

Please can anyone help? I have started this new topic on behalf of sharonjane

Kind Regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

My mum has just been diagnosed with Lymphatic & breast cancer and is due to start 6 months of chemotherapy on Friday which will eventually lead to surgery. My dad has prostrate cancer which is currently controlled (he refuses the op). My Grandad (Dad’s dad) passed away from liver cancer 7 years ago, and last year my aunt (mum’s sister) was diagnosed with breast cancer and is still undergoing treatment.
I am due to see my GP today following referral by the practice nurse after I discussed this with her during a routine blood test, and now I am very worried. I am 43, do I have a higher risk??

Please can anyone help?

Sharon

Not at risk? Hello

Have just seen GP and he is not willing to refer me for screening (mammogram) as he tells me I am at no higher risk than anyone else even though Mum,(just been diagnosed with lymphatic & breast cancer) Dad (who has prostrate cancer), Aunty (mum’s sisterhas breast cancer and is currently undergoing treatment) and Grnadad (who passed away from liver cancer) have all been diagnosed! Nothing to do with NHS budgets??
My sister is due to see her GP tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if she is referred.
I now have to pay for any screening. How can this be right?

Sharon

Hi Sharon, your Mum (and perhaps your Dad too) could be referred to a geneticist clinic, I found it quicker to be referred by my hospital rather than my GP.
I’ve not had my results yet but my sister is now having early mammograms and my daughter will be kept an eye on from her early 30’s.

I don’t have anyone else in my family with cancer but was referred to genetics no problem due to my age (35). My Sis will be monitored from next year as she was deemed medium risk.

I agree with Belinda your parents should ask for a referral which would assess your risk.

Love Twinkle xoxo

Dear Sharon Breast Cancer Care have published a factsheet about familial breast cancer (breast cancer which runs in families) which you may find helpful to read, you can read it via the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/docs/familial_breast_
cancer_updated_may_06_0.pdf

If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our freephone confidential helpline on 0808 800 6000 which is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm. The helpliners will be able offer you support, information and advice about the concerns you have regarding your family history of cancer.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Genetic screening Hi Sharon

I’m a late joiner/reader on the site but maybe not too late.

Don’t be put off by anyone, please insist. I requested and was refused a mammogram and then 4 months later was diagnosed with invasive Grade 3. No one should have to learn the hard way.

Just to check your “status”, and have something to refer your GP to then please Google on CG41 - it is the NICE guidelines with regards to Familial Breast Cancer and explains things quite well. Bear in mind they ARE only guidelines so I think that allows GPs to use some judgment. Go to another GP if you’re not happy, they all think very differently I have found.

Best of luck
Dahlia

Hi Sharon,

Not been on this page of this site for a while as just come out of hospital after having bilateral reconstruction, I so sympathise with you I went to see my doctor six years ago as both my mum and sister had been diagnosed with breast cancer, my mum had a mastectomy and my sister had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. My doctor made me feel that I was being paranoid I was 35, didn’t smoke, fairly fit and not overweight.

He said being as my mum was 61, and my sister was 51 it wasn’t classed as family history, now six years on I was diagnosed with lobular breast cancer and DCIS in July 06, I had a lumpectomy then a WLE with no clear margins and eventually had to have a bilateral mastectomy.

I was very angry that my doctor hadn’t taken me seriously six years ago, I am now having the genetic testing as I have a 15 year old daughter, I should get the results in July.

As I said earlier I have now had reconstruction using the LD method (skin and mucsle from the back) and am well happy with the results - so there is a light at the end of tunnel)

Don’t take no for an answer !!!

Good Luck and Take Care

Kaz
xx