Please give me positive chemo stories !

Hi all
I am due to start my chemo end of october . It can be a bit depressing going through the boards finding out about chemo. Can someone reassure me with their good stories coming out the other side. I am really nervous about the fact I feel so well now (apart from surgery aches) and I am going to feel terrible
. Also are losing eyelashes a definite ? and if so are false eyelashes ok to apply

thanks all

Hi Cally,

I hope this is positive! I found chemo doable. I had FEC. At the low points, it felt like flu but I was still able to function pretty much as usual throughout. I worked throughout but had the advantage of being home based. After the first one, I was able to predict when I would feel low and planned my life accordingly. The important thing I found was to rest as much as possible when my body wanted to. What was interesting was how quickly I used to come out of the low point and then I felt good and everything was normal again. I was well enough to travel abroad on business between 2 chemo sessions - with the onc’s permission. He was OK about it if I felt confident. I am glad I did. And then between chemo and rads, we went abroad on holiday.

I lost all hair except on my legs! Typical! I don’t know about false eyelashes - I didn’t bother.

Good luck! What chemo are you having?

Margaret x

I didn’t lose my my eylashes, bottom ones thinned a bit. I did suffer a fair bit but positives I experienced are: Meeting wonderful, caring, dedicated staff. The time passes quicker than you think. No collapsed veins, just a bit of pain on no. 5, hot water bottle worked a treat on this (you have to take your own though, hosp not allowed to have them!)

Some people on here have no probs at all so don’t assume you will suffer too much, you may not.

Good luck

Irene

Hi Cally

Everyone has a different experience - some good, some okay and some not so good.

Personally, I had very few side effects from chemo. I was never sick (but ensured I took all the meds they gave me), didn’t lose my appetite and had only a couple of mouth ulcers. I used to get a very dry mouth but drank lots of water and used mouthwash.
Yes I lost my hair and got very very tired as the sessions went on but I just listened to my body and rested as appropriate. I lost my eyelashes and eyebrows but they are growing back well (along with my hair) a matter of weeks after finishing chemo.

Try to keep positive (I know it isn’t always easy) and keep popping in here for support from all the lovely ladies here.

Sharon x

Hi cally,
my experience was okay, even though I had complications with Crohn’s and was on a liquid nutritional diet for the 4 months of FEC chemo. I don’t know which chemo regime you are having, and not all chemos are suitable for using the cold cap, but it worked in my case. My hair did thin on top, but I never had to wear my wig - well, except on a bad hair day! It does prolong the time you are in the chemo dept; half an hour before the infusion, the one and half hours of the infusion and an hour afterwards. The nurses wrapped me in a duvet, brought me hot tea whenever I wanted, and I just used to doze off. I don’t know anything about eyelashes, as I didn’t lose mine. Funny thing was that after chemo finished and my hair started to grow (I didn’t need my usual monthly trim) it came back really curly, like Kylie’s. Don’t know why this happens.

Be sure to take the anti-nausea meds as prescribed even if you don’t feel nauseous, as it is too late then. Also, do take advantage of friends and relatives offers to help - shopping, gardening,cooking etc. You will probably feel very tired and need a lot of sleep - don’t feel guilty!

Looking back, the 4 months of treatment, then 5 and a half weeks of radiotherapy, went by in a flash, and am pleased, no, thrilled, that I am coming up to the 5 yr mark in Jan with no recurrence. I would do it all again - absolutely.

Good luck, and take care.
Liz.

Hi Cally,

I started E-CMF chemo in May and finished it on weds. I know its easy for me to say now, but I can honesty say that it really was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it to be. It was very very doable! My ‘good’ days far far outweighed the bad. I had no sickness whatsoever throughout and only had very minimal nausea. Thankfully my anti-sickness meds were nailed right from the start and I found ‘Travel bands’ to be a godsend!

Starting chemo is understandably very scary. I was honestly shi**ing myself, and cried loads when I went for my first session. The chemo unit was really nice though, the staff were awesome and going for chemo became more of a social event rather than anything horrid. When I finished on Weds there were tears all round!

Personally I lost most of my eyelashes and eyebrows literally overnight, however not everyone does though! Mine actually only dissappeared for a week or 2 and when they grew back they grew amazingly quickly. I now have the most lucious long lashes and lovely eyebrows that I never had before!! I did buy some false lashes but never bothered using them in the end. I just used to put black eyeliner along my top lid and no one even noticed I didn’t have any lashes! If you are worried about them coming out then do go easy on mascara, as it can be very heavy and weighs down fragile lashes.

Because, like you, I felt so well after surgery I was worried that the chemo was gonna make me feel really poorly. Although there are times when I have felt very fatigued, that is about all the trouble I’ve had with chemo. I had no constipation, mouth ulcers or any of the other nasty side effects. My bloods were awesome every time and the staff on the unit remarked on how well I had done to almost ‘breeze through’ chemo. I’m not saying it wasn’t tough at times, my mood was often very low and not being able to do what I wanted to do due to tiredness was very frustrating. However, as I said before my ‘good’ days far outweighed my bad. If I can get through it then anyone can!!

I started a thread on this section called ‘top tips going through chemo’. Loads of others have contributed too and I think you may find it helpful.

Take care and I wish you well as you prepare to start chemo,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Cally

I can honestly say that I did not suffer too badly at all for my 5 x FEC. I used a cold cap for the first one but lost all of my head and “down below” hair, but have kept all other hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, annoying leg hair! I have been working all the time except for day of chemo, which is Friday, and the following weekend and Monday.

I had my first Taxotere last Friday and am afraid that I have suffered badly with it this week, no sickness (which is my major dread but has never been an issue), but the runs, and terrible aches and pains in legs and ears/head, and have been unable to go to work.

It is totally doable as everyone says, at my worst this week, I had a day when I admit I was crawling on the floor but that was only one day and it was weakness rather than unbearable pain or anything.

Very good luck, please be reassured it is not as bad as my imagination made it before I started!

Cecelia.

Hi Cally

I was very ill but would do it all again if I had too, you can do it and the only positive thing I can say is that I am still here with a fighting chance, where by if I had not had it, It might be another story who knows…oh the eyelashes, I wouldnt bother with the false eyelashes, I found they were a real pain so didnt bother, I just applied black liner to my inner eyelid rims…

Best wishes my love
Pam
XXX

Hi Cally

I have had 3 FEC, 3 more to go and i haven’t suffered too badly. I do get tired but i have continued to work full time except the 2 days after chemo. I have lost my hair up to and down below, but so far my eyebrows and lashes ahev stayed. I have touched lots of wood having typed that.

I was apprehensive when i went to my first session but the staff were fantastic. Hope it goes well and the time will pass before you know it.

Take care

Lesley

X

HI Cally,

Im half way through EC chemo so 3 down and 3 to go. Im was terrified about starting it. I posted on here just like you explaining how nervous I was etc etc.

My first EC I was sick the first night and thats the only time I have been but I will put that down to anxiety as I was worried all day and gave myself a migraine. I used the coldcap for the first two but it didnt work so I took the challenge and shaved my hair off. Again, I posted on here depressed because my hair was falling out, ok my hair was very short but still wether long or short all women love there hair and its a vanity thing. Again, I found loads of reassurance and I came to the way of thinking - well, its going anyway so just get it over with, the sooner you accept your new look, the easier it becomes…beleive me its not easy at the time but I had sooo much reassurance and support from the others on here. I have however managed to keep my eyelashes and eyebrows.

I like some of the ladies am working as well as having chemo, some ladies can and some cant. I get my chemo on Wed, so I take Wed, Thur, & Fri off - obviously have the weekend and return to work on Mondays. The only real side effect is tiredness and mouth ulcers.

Oh - and i know what you mean about the feeling well part, I went to Wales for a week before starting chemo and we walked all over the hills and i couldnt beleive the next week I would be having chemotherapy!!

Keep your chin up and anything you need just shout.

Take Care

Lynne.x

Hi Cally

I had 3xFEC and just finishing 3x Taxotere. I have my 5th dose today.

#1 FEC was fine, no worries, felt a little sick but not too bad, back in the gym by day 3!!
#2 FEC was AWFUL, but lesson learnt, shout if you feel rubbish, they doubled my steroid dose and so…
#3 FEC was perfect, no side effects whatsoever. Great, just in time to switch to…
#4 TAX had delayed reaction and side effects didn’t hit til day 3, aches and pains, they a sore and yakky mouth, but no sickness

Once you know the routine and know what’s coming, it is better and I promise you the apprehension is worse than the treatment.

Anyway I want to tell you my really really positive story is that after 3xFEC by lump had shrunk from 5.3cm to 2.4cm, and then after a further dose of Tax, it has shrunk even more, so much so that the surgeon examined me the other day and told me it was now ‘insignificant’…so by God it did the trick - and so it will for you my dear!

Best of british, keep us informed.
Love and hugs
Ali
x

Thankyou all for your comments . its very helpful and reassuring to know I may not feel as bad as I was expecting. I have just put the little one to bed so at least have distractions in my day to day , its just when you have time to let the mind wander that you do think the worst.
If you do feel bad , do you have to wait for the next session before they can help you ?

I am having fec for first 3 then another drug for the second 3 , not sure which one it is . I am worried about my domestics as all my family live in the northwest (I am in London) so have to draw on my circle of school mums and toddler mums (have 2 and 6yr old) which I will just have to do. I have been googling too much and seen those quack american websites where they tell you to not do chemo just drink 3 gallons of carrot juice etc and pray every day.

I know its going to be hard with the hair thing, am dreading it. In some ways feel like I will bcome old , menopause etc and the wig supplier told me that the grey hairs are the last to go and the first to come back (great !) not even allowed my highlights

Hi Cally

You can definitely call them or drop by for help if you feel really bad, they’ll do all they can to help I’m sure.

If they nail your antisickness immediately then you should not feel too bad on the FEC (from my experience anyway), tired of course but it’s manageable.

Maybe find out if it is Taxotere you are having after FEC as I have definitely found this harder and you can ask loads of advice on this website as to how to cope.

The hair thing is terrible but in a way, once it’s gone it’s a relief as you don’t have to worry about it any more. I actually like my wigs better than my normal thick wavy nightmare hair! Having said that I’m sure I’ll be happy when it grows back!

Good luck with it all and try not to worry

Cecelia. x

Hi Cally,

I did 4 FEC & 4 Tax, finished four weeks ago. FEC was easier than Tax.

Good stories from chemo:

I took the chemo day off, plus two or three other days each time, other than that I have worked all the way through.

I run every other day, only missing a couple of runs after each treatment. I ran the Race for Life in between chemos 6 & 7 in 31 mins & 30 seconds - only about three minutes slower than before chemo.

I have found that if I pushed myself to do things I felt much better for it.

Best of luck!
xx

Hi Cally
My daughter (aged 33) has just finished 8 sessions of chemo and she sailed through it. The first 4 sessions… Gemcitibine/ Paclitaxol… the worst she had was a little pins and needles in toe ends and finger ends for a week or so and some aching for a couple of days but not enough to slow her down! The second 4 sessions …EC… the worst was nausea for two days but nothing too bad. She had anti-sickness tablets but found that the best thing to stop the nausea was Omeprezole … to cut stomach acid, worked much better than the antisickness stuff. She really has been surprised at how well she has felt , like you she was really scared of the chemo. She wears the baker boy hats that are now popular along with big earrings and lots of eye makeup. She is well known for her variety of hats. The only thing she has moaned about is putting weight but after seeing the surgeon yesterday she is pleased that she does have some fat on her back because he is going to do mastectomy with immediate recon from back area. He said he couldn’t do it if she was skinny. Her op is Nov 12th so she is now trying to get info about her op (LD Flap)
Anyway good luck for chemo … not as bad as we all think its going to be … it has come a long way in the last couple of years.
Sue (Zotam)

Hi Cally,

I so hope you can feel the big cyber-hug i’m sending to you cos i so know how your feeling.I have had 3xFEC and will be having the first of 3xTAX on thursday 18th oct, and although i can only coment on the FEC at the moment i can promise you it can be much better than you imagine.I have not been sick at all and have very much been able to carry on as normal. I have my chemo on a thursday and am okay until the following tuesday and wednesday when i feel completely tired for those two days ONLY.The first time i tried to work through it but someone who had the same treatment told me not to fight it and go to bed if i need to so thats what i do, after those two days are out the way it’s back to normal. I was so frightened about starting treatment that i actually made myself ill worrying beforehand but it is not bad for everyone we are all different and if they get your sickness meds right you will be fine but even if you don’t feel sick still take them,also if you are sick tell your doc’s cos they can be altered.Above all honey remember think of the treatment as your friend not your enemy cos you’ve got a hell of a lot of living to do when you get over this hurdle.

lots of love and positive thoughts

sally x

hi cally
i’m on 3 of 3 FEC and then 3 Tax. i’ve had some sickness immediately after the treatment but it clears up quickly. after that its downhill. you are in good company here with lots of people who will support, understand and care. take heart and be glad that the drugs are improved and given to us because they work.
i’ve been really touched by all the offers of help i’ve had and the way in which my parents of my daughter’s friends have stepped in. i hope that will be the same for you. i think everyone knows someone close with this disease and this makes people generous and understanding…
xx
jo

Hi Cally

I had 6 x FEC, after each round I was ‘off’ for about three days then up and around again, I returned to work after a week after each session so over a 20 week period I was only absent for 6 weeks.

Yes my hair did drop out but that had it’s up side, creative scarfs and a better hairdo on its return. I didn’t lose eyebrows or eyelashes, or the hair on my arms (more’s the pity).

Good luck with yours

Carol

I’m reading this thread with uttermost interest. I start FEC on Tuesday. Great hearing all these positive words ladies. I too am slightly anxious, so is hubby as he reads over my shoulder. Got three bandanas and a wig waiting!!!

Good luck mummyv and hello hubby too.

Stay positive! I’m sure that attitude plays a role.

Margaret x