Please share your MRI scan experiences with me!

Hi all,

I wasn’t really sure where to post this, I hope you don’t mind me posting it here but I knew I’d be more likely to get a good response.

I have already had a bone scan which has shown up an area on my lumbar spine that gave cause for concern. Now I have to go for an MRI tomorrow afternoon, to confirm or rule out bone mets. Whilst I’m obviously scared of what it may show, at the moment I can’t see beyond the scan itself! I’m quite claustrophobic and am very anxious about the scan.

I would be very grateful if anyone were willing to share their experience of an MRI Scan with me. The sooner the better if poss as it’s at 1.15 tomorrow. I know its very noisy and the staff have said I can take a cd with me which they will play through headphones. I’m guessing it’ll take 30 mins or so, does that sound about right? Are you in the tunnel for the entire time?

When I think about the scan I just want to cry, that prob sounds daft. I really don’t want to go down the route of being sedated, although I know that is an option. I just wanna be able to stay still and calm for as long as I need to to get it done and finished tomorrow. I have been in so much pain lately that I am keen to get answers and a diagnosis asap. Trouble is, if I can’t relax then I won’t get the answers I so desperately want and need.

If anyone has any tops tips or advice then I would be truly grateful. I am desperate to get it over with tomorrow. I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to take an eye mask? I can’t rely on myself to keep my eyes shut and I’m scared I’ll freak out if I open them.

I’ll stop waffling now! Thanks for reading,

Kelly
-x-

hi kelly

i’ve had an mri scan and they got me to choose some music to play as, yes, it’s noisy. mine wasn’t a tunnel affair, though, although they didn’t scan all of me, so if they’re scanning all of you it might feel like you’re being moved through a tunnel. it did take about 20 mins and i had to stay still, when the scan was actually happening although you do get rest times as they take several pictures with a wee break in between each one.

i’m afraid i can’t offer any advice on how to deal with the scan as i’m not claustrophobic. an eye mask sounds like a reasonable idea if you don’t like the thought of seeing what’s happening. i hope someone else posts with something more helpful. good luck with it, i hope they’re sympathetic and make you comfortable and i do hope it’s not bone mets. do ask for something to put under your knees if they don’t offer you one as it makes lying for that length of time more comfortable.

best wishes.
alison

Hi Kelly,
Sorry to hear that you have to have an MRI. I also had the same thing happen to me. I had a bone scan and then I was recalled for an MRI due to something they saw on the bone scan. I was also very scared and apprehensive about the MRI as I am very claustrophobic. The staff were great and they said they would pull me out if I became too distressed. They placed the buzzer right near to my hand and I just kept thinking that I could press it at any time. It somehow kept me going. It was very noisy and I didn’t have any music to listen to but they did keep speaking to me and telling me how well I was doing! It lasted about 40 mins and really wasn’t as bad as I had imagined. I hope this has helped in some small way and I am sure that if I can do it you can!! Take Care and let me know how you get on
Sandra

Hi ladies,

thank you so much for your swift responses, I’m very grateful. Just currently trying to decide what cd to take with me, decisions decisions! Hope you don’t mind me asking but was anything picked up on your MRI’s?

Thanks again,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Kelly,
Unfortunately after the MRI I was diagnosed with bone mets.Although when I went for the MRI the staff said they had lots of ladies who were referred after a bone scan and often there was no problem at all. Their words were it could be something or nothing.I really hope you will find that there are no problems.
Best Wishes
Sandra

Hi Kelly
I had my MRI scan on Fri. It is noisy but the music will help drown the noise. The staff were great and helped to ease the nerves! The full body scan took 50 mins. You are strapped in and will feel the movements within the tunnel. Eye mask should help. I too had a bone scan on 30/12, followed by a CT scan and then an MRI. Am seeing the oncologist tom pm. Hope nothing else has bn seen on the MRI. He will outline the treatment plan tom. for me. All the best Kelly. I hve never posted before so I hope it is ok.
Dee 10 Feb

Hi Kelly

Sorry that you’re having to go through the stress of the diagnostic stage again.

I was also warned by a friend that the MRI would be noisy so when I heard all the clunking and whirring when it started up I thought it wasn’t too bad. But about half way through there was a loud beeping noise that was getting faster and faster - I really thought that the fire alarm had gone off and I needed rescuing, until it quietened down and then started up again at regular intervals. So, don’t panic when you hear that! I took Justin Timberlake with me but the noise still drowned him out. The eye mask sounds a good idea but you need to make sure there’s no metal on it. I kept my eyes closed and tried to imagine myself somewhere else. I think it was 40 mins in total. My MRI was clear.

Here’s hoping that your MRI does turn out to be nothing!
Good luck
xxx

Hi…Good Luck with your scan. I found my MRI’s to be okay, they seemed to be over really quickly. The scans I really don’t like are the bone scans…Take Care…x

Thanks Belinda, I’m really relieved to hear that you found the MRI to be ok. I too don’t like bone scans and this worried me as I imagined the MRI to be ten times worse. You’ve really set my mind at rest.

Hi Ripley, great news that your MRI was clear. Can’t believe JT got drowned out! Weirdly I’m hoping the loud noises may help to take my mind off things!

Sorry to hear the news was not great for you Smithy, I hope you’re doing ok and are being well looked after. Thank you for your kind words of support.

Thanks to you all,

Much appreciated,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Kelly

Just wanted to wish you luck wiv your mri tomorrow. Know I have already said this in my text, but wanted u to know am thinking about u.

I had an MRI back in July 07, and I found it OK, but mine was mainly on my boobs to be honest, as my left was inconclusive, so not sure if was done any differently. I am not claustrophic though, but was very nervous. Think the eye mask sounds good, and could get yourself a gel one, so come out with fab eyes and no bags (LOL). Yhe machine I had was very noisy but was able to listen to the music - radio in my case.

Keep yer chin up. Hopefully results will be good and the wait not too long for you. Let me know how it goes.

Love
Dawn
xxx

Hi
I’ve had 3 MRIs - each for different reasons and each in a different machine. the spinal one was only about 20 mins and showed up what we knew already about my spine but I had it to rule out spine compression which it did so that was OK. I had one on my brain and that was quick and one around my shoulder when I lost the feeling in my arm and hand.
I found it very noisy and just concentrated on my breathing and kept my eyes closed. I did peek once and wished i hadn’t so I think an eye mask would be a good idea.
The staff give you a bell to push incase you get worried or are in pain so you are not entirely alone.
Hope all goes well
Katex

Hi ladies,

thank you all so much for your responses. I’m glad the day is now here and that in a few hours it should all be over. I just need to hold my nerve! Got my cd sorted and I’m just gonna try and think I’m lying on a beach somewhere. I had terrible pain again last night so I need to get this sorted asap!

I’ll let you know how it goes, please send good vibes to me at 1.30!

Take care,

Kelly
-x-