Please stop this roller coaster - I want to get off ...

ive had a nightmare of a day today. Went to the private hospital for an appointment with the surgeon - all positive and operation booked for Friday. I then dragged my husband shopping on the way home and whilst in M and S I had a call from the NHS hospital where I have had all my scans and biopsies, saying they had reviewed my latest scans and want me to have an MRI guided biopsy on my other breast. They are referring me to Coventry with a 3 or 4 week wait.

I’ve had a major meltdown, however on speaking to the private consultant she feels the original scan is not a cause for concern. I really like her and feel I trust her opinion, but now something has been flagged up I feel I need the biopsy for my own piece of mind, but if I have to wait 4 weeks for the scan and then 2 weeks for the results it will be after Christmas and it will be at least 8 weeks from my initial diagnosis. My husband and I have talked at length and feel we would like the surgery on the left breast to go ahead as planned, and if the new biopsy shows anything I’ll just have to put up with further surgery.

any comments on similar circumstances would be appreciated.

jane

Hi Jane,

Is there anything that can be done to speed you up through the the system? It seems ridiculous that knowing you’ve an operation booked for Friday they want to cycle you through it all again. The only thing I would say is that if it were me I know I’d make exactly the same decision as you to go ahead, especially in view of the fact that the consultant isn’t worried. I wish you luck and I’m really sorry that you’ve been chucked this curved ball so late - as if it’s not stressful enough!

Need to edit the title but don’t know how - should say ‘off’ not ‘of’! And here’s me who works in a school!!