Poem for my mum

Hi all.
I just registered here so I’m new to this.
My mum has battled BC for the past three years and never gave up hope. After so many set backs we were finally told at the beginning of this year that she was terminally ill and she passed away on 17th April 2008.
She was in so much pain she was admitted to our local hospice and I wrote a poem for her, she died five days later. She never got to hear it but a friend of mine read it out at her funeral and I’d like to share it with you all. Please be kind though as I’m not very good at grammar so it’s not a very good attempt.

Sanctuary as you sleep
Peace becomes your dream
Quiet is the anguish
Silenced it may seem

Waking brings another day
Of conflict, sometimes fear
You’re fighting the invisible
Yet you know it’s here

Questioning the reasons
Of how this came to be
Astounding is your courage
As is your dignity

Strength becomes your hero
Faith becomes your friend
But love is all around you
The kind that knows no end

Comfort from your family
Memories take you home
And suddenly you realise
That you are not alone

Words can be uneasy
Love difficult to express
But you are my own hero
My life, my happiness

Thanks for reading it and God bless you all.
Take care of yourself and each other.
Jill
x x x x x x x x x

hi jill, first my condolences on you losing your brave mum ,i read your poem it made me cry …it was so full of loveim sure if your mum got to read it shed have been proud of you for writing it again my condolences caroleann

please accept my condolences on the loss of your mum … you clearly loved her to bits and that is a beautiful poem. she would have been so proud.

my condolences too, what a lovely poem, and if I may say so, very cleverly written!

Bless you Jill, take care of yourself, and give yourself some time. Beautifully written poem, Im sure your mum would have loved it.
julie xxx

A beautiful tribute to your special mum. She will always be alive in your heart

Alisonxxxx

Thank you all for your lovely words. Mum definitely was a beautiful person and my best friend and I miss terribly.
It made me feel better to share it with someone.
Thank you
lots of love
Jill
x x x x x

ps caroleann, I’m sorry I made you cry x x x

BEAUTIFUL. well done jill.

Irene

Hi Jill,

A beautiful, well writen, heart felt poem…I never cry, but have a tear in my eye, im so sorry to hear you lost your mum.

Jill

Oh Jill
the tears are running down my face as i read that beautiful tribute to your dear mum.
My mum fought with BC for 6 yrs but lost her battle 4 yrs ago. There is not a day goes by when i dont think of her and miss her.
I wouldnt want her to be here though and see me having been Dx with this ‘cruel’ disease.She was such a caring loving person like i am sure your mum was.
Treasure every memory and know she is watching all you do.
I fight on knowing mum would be proud of me.

Hug and Love Ruthxxx

Jill,

You found some beautiful and heartfelt sentiments to express your love and pain at what your mother was going through, at what must have been such a difficult time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing with us. I hope you continue to find comfort and support in this group.

Jennyx