Portacath fitting and panic attacks

Hi
I am due to have a portacath fitted next Tuesday under local anaesthetic. I occasionally have panic attacks, especially when I feel out of control, so am quite frightened about the procedure (though I do want the device).
Has anyone got reassuring tales or tips to share, please?!
Thanks a lot
Wendy

Hi Wendy

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences it might help to talk this through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Sunday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

I had a portacath fitted when I started treatment 2 years ago. I had mine inserted under sedation so wasn’t aware of any of it. It was the best thing ever as I was having Herceptin for 12 months.
I would suggest mentioning to your fears to the staff when you go for it fitting, they may offer you something to calm your nerves first. Don’t suffer in silence.
Other than that I no specific tips, only that once it is in you will not regret it.

Hi, I had my porta cath fitted 3 weeks ago & after what you have been through lately will be a doddle. (I’m having chemo first then hopefully a lumpectomy).
They gave me oxygen first then sedation to relax me, next was the local anaesthetic & then the procedure which is a bit uncomfortable but thats all. The staff were lovely & we were chatting & laughing all the way through. Try not to worry as you’ve been through the worst bit already & honestly you will be fine. The only annoying thing is that found it a bit uncomfortable to sleep on that side at night until it healed. x

Hi Wendy,

Are you having it done at Preston?

The consultant at Preston told me yesterday at my pre-assessment for a portacath fitting that they can give you as much or as little sedation as you want (obviously within reason!). He said about 50% of patients don’t have any at all. I would tell him when you go on Tuesday what your fears are. He will know what to do for the best. Good luck - I am having mine done on Wednesday at 8-30am. This is really early for me, especially with having to travel to Preston, so I am hoping I will be half asleep anyway!!

Linda xx

I had my first portacath fitted under a local anaesthetic with no sedation. I was okay… I am very squeamish but didn’t see anything at all, a nurse held my hand and chatted the whole way through and all I felt was a bit of shoving and pushing. The procedure took about 45 minutes. I was left with an incision about 5 cms on my chest and a smaller one on my lower neck. These were stitched and I had the stitches removed 10 days later. After the operation there was a very small amount of bruising but no discomfort at all.
pi had chemo through the port the next day and gosh it was wonderful. All those people sitting there with cannulas in their hands and i felt so pleased to have had the port.

of course it is still a needle, but much less faffing about than a cannula.

my 2nd port was inserted by a surgeon under a general anaesthetic as the first one became infected And had to be removed as an emergency. That wasn’t nice but it still didn’t put me off having another one fitted. They are an absolute wonder. Protect our veins and if you are HER2+ as I am, i feel its the best option.

Hi
Thank you all for the reassurance. I had my portacath fitted this morning- not the pleasantest way to spend a sunny day but not as bad as I feared! As you said, Daffodil, the worst part was the local anaesthetic. Feeling slightly bruised and battered now the anaesthetic is stariting to wear off but it’s only really the neck wound that is a little sore.
I did go to Preston, Linda - staff were lovely. I chose sedation which wasn’t very powerful but did help me calm down sufficiently! One lovely nurse stayed next to me and chatted throughout. Mine was an 8.30 appointment but, despite sleeping badly last night, I wasn’t half asleep when I got there! All the best for tomorrow.
Thanks again
Wendy x

Hi Wendy,

Good to hear it wasn’t as bad as you imagined, and people say it will become your best friend… You can take some painkillers for the soreness. I am about to PM you.

Linda xxx

My neck wound was the most bothersome too. I probably was fairly miserable with it for 5-7 days or so. I think I resented feeling so low in what should have been my “good” week!

Then i had clotting issues, a dvt in my leg and bilateral pulmonary emboli in my lungs, and also it appears a small clot partially obscured the port catheter, so it affected the function for the first two uses, until they used a clotbuster drug and cleared it. I am also on daily heparin injections, so it shouldn’t happen again!

With all the trouble I have had, I’d still say the port makes a huge difference in administering the infusions, although it always feels slightly weird having cool fluid pumped into the vein so near to my heart! My arm veins are getting hard to find!!

Just wanted to add. The clots were not simply a complication of the port, but I have blood platelet overproduction which put me considerably more at risk, I believe. It was a combination of factors. I guess I’m just lucky that way!! :wink: