1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portacath

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Portacath

Thank you for getting back to me. The pulling is exactly as you describe And I think I'm just conscious of it because it's so new. The pain has settled down and I'm almost forgetting it's there now 😉

thanks again xx

It's normal, I think, to be stiff and sore to start with. My neck was the worst, and it was a scary sort of pain; I kept thinking something was wrong, but to be honest, time heals, and now I can't even remember how long before I felt better. 10-14 days? Maybe less? It's amazing how you forget!

I was so relieved when my onc said I could have the port out! It was something I was hardly aware was worrying me, but a part of me must have thought she would want to leave it in "just in case"!

I had it taken out last Thursday, and by yesterday (6 days) the incision was completely healed and the sutures were irritating me, so I snipped them out myself (don't tell anyone! I'm hoping it won't come back to bite me!!) 🙂

They were supposedly dissolving sutures, and I wasn't supposed to even take the dressing off for seven days, which I thought was ludicrous, considering after both my lumpectomy and mastectomy I had to remove the dressing after 48 hours and was allowed to shower! 😛

Anyway, the port itself was truly a godsend! I'm only sorry I had to have two treatments AC via an arm vein before I could get it fitted!

Hi Lottie I had a portacath for all my chemo and blood tests and certainly saved my veins. I know what you mean about soreness and the pulling but this will settle. I didn't like the idea at first and was very conscious of foreign item in my body but it means you can shower/swim etc without too many worries. Mine is out now and glad I was given the choice. Good luck with your treatment x

Bumping into latest posts for Lottie

Portacath

Hello, in the last few days I had a portacath fitted for chemo and just wondered how anyone else was finding it? So far I've found it a bit sore and my neck has felt a bit stiff too.
thanks