Positive about tram flap?

Had MX last Nov, couldn’t make the decision at the time to have reconstruction and was told could have it later. Have made the mistake of waiting 6 months to find it has taken another two months to get on a list for a DIEP. Unlikely to be before October from what have been told. My original surgeon can do a tram flap in July. Son’s wedding in December and need to be OK for that as well as the run up to it. Want op asap as fed up as I am, even though all the research tells me DIEP is best. So I’m thinking of going for the earlier option of the tram flap. If I wait it will likely be next year as dont want to interfere with the wedding.

So: Is there anyone out there with some positives about the tram flap please?

I had bilateral tram reconstruction 6 months ago and am very pleased with them, though still have abdominal weakness. The tram option is more invasive than DIEP I believe.
Good luck with your operation.

Hi

I had a TRAM recon some years ago. Although there was a long and painful recovery time, and you really mustn’t overdo it, as it will unravel before it’s fully knitted together, like juiro, I was very pleased with mine and had no complications or setbacks, either.

Ended up with a flat tummy (for a while!) and a nicely nipped in waist, too…

Hope this helps…

If I were you I would wait for the Diep. It is a longer operation but the recovery time is much better as you don’t take any muscle. My PS will only perform a Tram if she cannot find an adequate blood supply for the diep. Surely it’s worth waiting for what is thought of as the best option, particularly if it means shorter recovery, and less pain and discomfort. Apart from the difficulty standing straight for a week or two I had no pain at all after about 5 days.

Hi Winnieslam

You find it useful to have a look at the BCC booklet on reconstruction. It can be found by following the link below:-

breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Hi

I had an immediate TRAM recon mid August 06 and went back to work in October. It was only the chemo etc that b******d up my recovery. If you’re careful and do what they tell you and maybe find slightly different ways to do things, life is not much different. That’s for me anyway. Just find it a bit difficult to bend down to weed or to brush the edges of the carpets.

Good luck in making your decision and hope the wedding goes OK, our son gets married end of October.

Marilyn x

hi all,i am confused,what is the difference between tram and diep, i had hemi tram flap,where they keep all your skin and muscle attached and tunnel it under your skin,so what is diep?And my surgery lasted 12 hours,although I did have right mastectomy at same time then double recon,I did read up about all options but have forgot now and have passed all my books on to someone else.

debbi x

A diep does not need any muscle. A flap of fat and skin is taken from the stomach, which contains a blood supply which is then connected to the blood supply on the chest. It requires microsurgery to attach the veins and very good after care. Because of the skill required not all surgeons can do it. It is a very long operation because of the microsurgery but in my hospital two consultant surgeons operate together which reduces the operating time and the recovery time. My op only took about 4 hours. Because no muscle is taken it is less painful and has a quicker recovery. And no stomach strength is sacrificed. I think the only down side is that they need more flesh if my understanding is correct.

I had the free tram flap in December and am thrilled with results, The op is a long one and what my consultant PS calls his gold service for the best cosmetic results.

I was out walking with a month, driving 8 weeks, back to work 9 weeks, back to my high impact areobics 3 months later, I have also done other classes which involve the tummy, I do the upper sit ups and then just but crunches when others are doing the lower tummy.

Have just come back from my hols and was riding big roller coasters no problems and wearing normal bikinis again so felt really comfortable swimming with my kids,

I have not had any problems.

Debbie

debsy,

omg,i love roller coasters but as you have prob read 9 months on am still quite uncomfy,maybe we need to do the exercises you do,I went back to work after 9 weeks but could not stand up straight,and even now i am soooo uncomfy when even walking too far,whats your secret?

Winnie
I would go for the one you want. It is a permanent change to your body. I plan to travel 200 miles to have the DIEP rather than the TRAM FLAP at my local hospital.
Your new breast, and muscle replacement will be permanent. I dont want to compromise. Do you?

Lisa

hi debbie

swimming is very good. slightly tight to start with, but after a couple of mins absolutely fine (it also works arms), areobics and good old fashioned long hard walking works all the muscles, I have told the manager at gym who does my classes and he is happy for me to do what I am ok with, I even did a a yoga class the other week, couldn’t do all the full stretches on my mast/fnc side but very close and alot more flexible after.

Personally I have always found fresh air and exercise a good tonic, also 2 youngish kids so cant sit around have to be active, no other choice. However my PS and team have always commented that I am one of his quickest to recover, not sure if co-incidence but was told the same after mast.

Debs x

hi debs,

well done you,I think thats great you have recovered so well and so quickly. x x

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Since I posted I have had some reassurances about the length of my wait for the DIEP flap - probably end Sept/early Oct so am going for that and hope I will be OK for the wedding in December. It’s good to hear the positives for everyone making these awesome choices. As someone pointed out we only have one body and I for one want the best I can have. I now just can’t wait for the op and to put everything behind me.

Winnie