cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive aspects of hair loss?

31 REPLIES 31
Barbwill

Re: Positive aspects of hair loss?

Not sure if someone else mentioned it already but I find that being bald helps me cool down quickly when I get a hot flush (chemo sent me into menopause)

Mezzomamma

Anne, there are really different patterns--for some, it suddenly falls out in a rush, but for others it keeps thinning until you start getting bald spots and eventually are down to balding with patches of hair. I shaved mine when the bald patches got big and looked awful, having had it cut short before chemo started. (It was winter and cold, so I was wearing hats anyhow.)

Angel_11859

Hi

I start chemo on Friday and today went and picked my wig up from the hairdresser. I have to say I felt comfortable with wearing it straight away. I have given into the idea that my hair will probably fall out in the next few weeks and the only decision I have left to make is whether to get it shaved off once it starts to fall out or let it come out on its own.

Anne x

cushkin

I have to say I have loved having no hair because I don't like having to get up in the morning to do my hair, or to go out anywhere, stresses me out to much. I don't like going to the hairdressers much either and I've saved so much money on haircuts and hair products. Feeling the breeze or warm sun on your head is lovely and going out with no hair is such a liberating feeling. I was getting hot flushes because of being on Zoladex so it was great for keeping cool, I could just wipe my head or stick it under a cold tap to cool down.

When you do your make up you can really go to town on your eyes because they stand out so much when you got no hair, it looks really nice.

So they are my positives about being a baldy, hope you can find some of your own

Emma x

jane72

Hi Caroline

I had a very sore scalp when my hair started falling out, as if it'd been in a ponytail for a week, then taken out! Ouch. It does get better.

As you were asking for positives on being bald, well, when it comes out or you clipper it off, try going out in the garden bald on a sunny, breezy day - it's such a strange sensation to feel a part of your skin you've never felt before! And a good, hot shower pattering down on your bald head too, that's a pretty good feeling.

My hair has grown back really thick and curly, and while I don't look great, I've always wanted curly hair so I'm trying hard to see it as a small bonus!

Hope the chemo gets easier and the hair-loss isn't too traumatic.

xx Jane

caroline1625

Well I'm now nearly 2 weeks after my first FEC & it's all coming out, dropping everywhere. My scalp is really sore too - I hope that resolves once the hair loss process is over. I already have a very good NHS wig (provided by a lovely lady at my local hospital - free to everyone), and a bag of scarves & hats so I'm all ready for when I need them - which at this rate will only be a few days!
I've been so ill with the chemo that I couldn't have faced having the cold cap, so I'm glad I made the decision I did. Everyone's positive comments on this thread & others have made me much more confident about going bald.

angielav

I am still using the cold cap but my hair is fast disappearing and I love my wig.. had it cut and styled by my hairdresser and dress it up with slides and things and its so quick in the morning. I'm trying to be really positive about losing my hair .. its yuk now anyway .. and I have so many hats to go with different clothes ...

maltomlin

I'm over 3 years post dx and I was really, really worried about losing my hair. I had the NHS wig, which was awful, and then went onto the internet.

Contrast Wigs - they were brilliant and I found a wig which I used for the next few months. It felt so comfortable and natural that I used it every day.

I know some ladies go without, but I couldn't, and I loved the wig.

Mal

Ninja

Mumsie, there is a separate cold cap thread with all the advice in it.

Mumsie1

Hello to you all,
I am starting Chemo in June and I was wondering if it was worth going for the cold cap. Has anybody on here used it ? and also has it worked for them ?

Ninja

for Bumbles

hatty

I went to the hairdressers and asked her to scalp me and then told her the reason why. Oh my god says she im not charging you but on one condition when it needs styling you come back to me for the first cut. I cant wait to see her again its about a 1/4 ins long at the moment. It started growing back after my 3rd chemo be it very slow.
I had fun with my baldness, it was great sat at the traffic lights take your hat off and smile at the person in the next lane. No seriously, always try to have fun what ever the situation.
Caroline rest assured you deffo wont get head lice although you may find you pick up the odd tick so wear a hat if your walking in the country side lol.....
You will get through it and you will be making fun about it before you know.

ChoccieMuffin

None of us is saying it's easy, Caroline, but I'm sure you've realised that. I had a quiet sob to myself in the shower just after OH took the clippers to it, at my insistence (he still thinks I shouldn't have shaved it and says I might not have lost it...) and I catch myself out when I walk past a mirror, but it could be worse.

caroline1625

I like the no head lice advantage - not one I'd thought of so far!
I'm pleased at how many people are seeing the positive side of hair loss, these comments will really help me with my decision.

hatty

The only positives i could see of a bald head are

No chance of getting head lice.
No expense of the hairdresser,
no brushing of hair 3 mins saved in a morning
No shampoo expense.

Midge

Hi

Always wondered why Kylie didn't do cold cap? I mean if anyone would want to keep their hair, you would think she would. Anyway, I used buffs, hated my wig- called it errol the gerbil, it lived on the stairs. Some women look truly great in their wigs, I didn't. But I loved not having to faff with my hair once it was gone. Now I find it odd that it's back and it certainly has a mind of it's own.

Good luck whatever you do, it is a v personal decision

Debx

amber32002

My Onc told me not to bother with the cold cap as it wouldn't work through 4 FEC and 4 TAX anyway. So I made haste to a decent wig consultant they recommended and she gave me a fantastic wig that I wear for everyday stuff. I then bought another for 'best'. I love wearing wigs. Weird, but true. No hair washing, no bad hair days, it looks better than my normal hair, I get more compliments, if I get hot I can just take my hair off...no costs of hairdressers every few weeks. A very personal view and not one that I'd expect anyone else to agree with, but for me it's been one of the good things about chemo.
Ann x

Lilac

Hi Caroline
My hair was light brown and I had it in a bob for more than 30 years and always with a long fringe. I'm quite shy and liked to hide behind my hair so losing it made me feel exposed. I was sure I would be wearing a wig all the time, but I really didn't like it and wore a hat for the first while, then went commando and felt completely at ease with that, to my surprise.

The profile pic is a recent one (I finished chemo at the end of last year) so as you can see, my hair has grown back quickly and now that I've gone blonde, it looks like a proper hairstyle.

Do what feels right for you now - you may change your mind as you go along and that's fine too.

Lilac x

ChoccieMuffin

I bought a reconditioned (for that read "second-hand") wig from the wig lady at the hospital. It's a really good quality one, but I don't bother wearing it. If I get cold I wear something, usually a Buff (love 'em!) or if it's very cold a woolly hat like a hairy person would, but whip it off if I heat up. The way I see it, I don't have to look at myself, so I'll be how I'm comfortable, and wearing a wig doesn't do it for me as I don't feel comfortable with it, possibly because it's got a fringe and I've always HATED fringes.

But go with what you feel is right for you, after all it's your hair, your lifestyle.

Mezzomamma

Caroline, you should be able to get a voucher towards the cost of a wig, and you may be pleasantly surprised at the quality you can get for that. Go somewhere where they are used to supplying cancer patients and others. Then if you like wearing a wig you can look for something cheap and cheerful as well.

My wig is quite nice to look at and resembles what my hair was about 10-15 years ago in colour, but I find my head gets a bit sweaty wearing it, so I've mainly used it for 'dress up' occasions or times when I didn't want to stand out in a group.

Cheryl

Alto

I'm another one who didn't bother with the cold cap.

My hair was so long and curly before (see my avatar!) that the worst bit was having it cut short before chemo. After that going bald didn't really matter and I've actually quite enjoyed it! I go bald most of the time and only really keep scarves and hats for when it's cold. I also have a wig but have never worn it as it just feels peculiar and is nothing like my own hair was.

My hair started coming back before my final Tax and now (5 1/2 weeks later) it's growing well although is still so thin you'd think I was bald from a distance. Still no eyebrows or lashes although I think I have a few tiny baby ones trying to make an appearance - not quite sure yet so give me a few more days to make sure!

Jane xxx

caroline1625

Thanks for all these comments - it certainly reinforces to me that it's OK to go bald......
I might go out & look at wigs before making my decision - even if I don't wear it often, I'm sure I'll want one at times. If I can see that I'll look OK in it, that will help.

staycalmandcar

I couldn't be bothered with the cold-cap as i thought my hair would be so far removed from what it was that it wouldn't be worth the extra time in hosp.

My hair in the pic is a wig - it's fab and quite comfy. I bought some lovely scarves from R and R Confidence for hotter days. For my eyelashes i use liquid, black eyeliner on my top lids and dark brown shadow on the bottom, for my eyebrows i brushed them on using more brown eyeshadow - people who know i'm wearing a wig have actually thought i'd kept both brows and lashes but i do think having a fringe in the wig helps.

Obviously i'd rather have my hair but i couldn't bear the uncertainty of wondering if today would be the day of it going. Now, 6 weeks on from last chemo, my hair is starting to show signs of life.

At the beginning it feels like a lifetime but, as in most things, the time passes quite quickly (even if at the time it feels like it's standing still!)and before you know it you are looking back at this, rather than facing it.

good luck in whatever you decide. x

Hi,

I thought about the cold cap but the risks (for me) outweighed the vanity side so decided against it am far too much of a worrier.

Am actually dare i say it quite enjoying not having the hassle of ghd's & taking ages to get ready to go out although am looking forward to having my hair back at some point 🙂

Sarah.xx

Sandytoes

Morning Caroline!

I'm giving the cold cap a bash. Only 1 session down though, so can't comment on the effectiveness, however, have my second session on 21 June, so will let you know how it goes then... I'm having an accelerated treatment, so think it is less effective with that, but I still thought I'd give it a go.

It hurt for the first 15 minutes, but then it was fine - I couldn't feel a thing.

My husband and I just took in a laptop with a couple of films and had a relax!

Good luck with your decision.

x

lizzyspain

Hi Caroline, you are up early on a Saturday morning! It was a Saturday morning early that I scoured the internet for videos on how to shave your head!! And went ahead and did it!

I second all that Ninja says above.

I have never worn a wig, I bought one but it looked so silly on me. It's scarves, sun hat or commando for me. My hair has just started to grow back, it's been sprouting for about 3 weeks now, in the middle of my TAX sessions.

My pal Sal above, did use the coldcap with no problems and kept her locks.

Good luck with your decision honey, and have a great weekend.

Lizzy x

salcha66

Hi yes i used the cold cap for all 6 sessions of chemo, finished 2 weeks ago and am so glad i did.
I had it cut to an ear length bob on my oncs advice and its still that length now.
No its not pleasant for the first 10 minutes but i then found it fine. I had to keep it on for three hours after chemo was administered but i thought its going to take a lot longer than 18 hours for my hair to grow back so i found it so worthwhile.
Yes i did lose some hair but i washed it twice a week and if i had somewhere special to go i straightened it.
On one session the cap missed touching a bit of my head at the back of my neck, the hair fell out , the hair over the top covered it so not noticable but now i have an inch growth there already of lovely soft brown hair! (am normally a red head!)
No one would know i had chemo, my OH says i should make my profile pic a pic of me now after using cold cap as it gets such a bad press and it truly has been a success for me
If you need any more help please contact me

Good luck with your decision,
Sal

honeybee121

positive aspect are if you can afford too buy lots of different wigs and go out in style different one for each day lol when i say buy lots of wigs i dont mean spending loads ebay have sum ok ones for £10 i got 4 so far long and short . i lost my hair after 16 days was upset at first but im now ok with it even forget myself some times and walk out the house with out wig, im still me hair or no hair its not changing who i am inside one thing i do know is im never growning my hair long again i love short hair and even hubby likes it better short took cancer to show him that lol he would never let me have it cut short now he loves the look
i never use cold cap i could see that it didnt always work from reading wot other had said so i didnt even give it a thought

laura64

Hi I had the cold cap for 4 months then one day sat up there thought wat the he'll am I doing 4 hrs longer to save some hair that was thinning badly anyway can't wash blow dry it still had to cover it so just decided to not do anymore my oh done a num 2 i had to stop chemo early as wasn't working so for me wasn't total hair loss but I've now got secondary's so bald look is on the way gd luck in wat u decide tc Laura

Ninja

That's why I gave up on the scalp cooler after one sesh. That, and being stuck in a chair for 5 hours, watching everyone else come and go, all the while shivering.

I couldn't see the point in hanging on to thinning, greasy, itchy, (it got very itchy when I couldn't wash it) unstyled hair with dark roots cos I wasn't allowed to have my highlights re-done. My hair is fine, and without styling product and a hairdryer it looks quite flat anyway.

So I took control over one of the few things I can right now.

Positives?
1. My hair, my decision.
2. Saves time getting ready.
3. I get to play with my long scarves, making turban with dangly bits, sometimes a bit OTT, but I don't GaF.
4. I get the chance to be bald as a coot, temporarily, rocking the look of that bird in the Star Trek movie. Can't 'member the character, but the actress was Persis Khambatta.

Negatives?
1. My usual depth of eye make-up makes me look like a drag queen. I'm avoiding mascara, don't want to pull out remaining lashes when I clean it off. So eye make-up is a prob, I'm tending to just smudge in some eye liner pencil around the base of the lashes. Urban Decay ones are the softest for smudging, I've found.
2. I'm sick to the back teeth of well-meaning folk telling me that "I look good bald" ; WTF? Or that my "head is a nice shape". The worst one is, "at least you're still alive". I repeat, WTF? I feel like saying, "so are you but you couldn't want to be bald for a year" ...

Sorry this answer has gone on a bit.

Good luck with your decision.

Mezzomamma

Even the least vain among us can find it difficult to look in the mirror and see a stranger looking back. I was told that the cold cap wouldn't be suitable for me; I don't know all the reasons, but I had had a history of migraines. I think the treatment is something like 4 hours, so much longer than the actual chemo. The cold cap won't deal with eyebrows, lashes or body hair.

I hope some of the people who have used it an will respond.

If you decide against, many people are pro-active and have their hair cut short before it starts to fall out and then shave off what is left when it gets too patchy. You would need to protect your scalp from the sun and possibly from cold and wind, given the way this summer has gone.

I have a visible, if very short, head of hair again less than two months after the final chemo, still with a few thinnish patches.

caroline1625

Positive aspects of hair loss?

I'm due to start my chemo in a few weeks & am wondering whether to try the cold cap treatment or not. I know this is a different line of thinking from most people here who are trying to cling onto their hair, but I'm thinking that if all I have left is thinner hair that I can't even wash regularly, colour, blow dry or use straighteners on, then I might as well be bald! Might it be worth the trauma of losing my hair for the 6-12 months freedom from all that hair care hassle....
What do others think?