Positive lymph nodes-what does it really mean

deleted due to problems of privacy on WWW, thanks

Hi xinte,
sorry to hear your diagnosis, but all is not doom and gloom. As the cancer has already spread to the lymph nodes, you will most probably be offered chemotherapy and radiotherapy. The Onc will hopefully do a CT scan of your abdomen, a bone scan and a chest x-ray to determine if there is any spread outside of the breast and lymph nodes. This is most likely the reason why the surgeon cannot give you a definitive picture at present.

Many of us on this forum had lymph node spread, as I did, but no metatastic spread to organs, and are doing well after chemo and radiotherapy - I am 5 yrs down the line and NED (No Evidence of Disease) - to me, the best 3 words in the English language!

If you haven’t already got a copy of the pathology reports from your mastectomy and axillary clearance, it may be a good idea to get one as this will give you most of the information you need before treatment is decided upon. My surgeon got me copies straight away after I asked. I found it like a foreign language at first, but by googling various terms, and asking questions on this site, found I eventually understood it. If you are ER+ (I don’t know about PR, as this was not done on my tissue biopsies) you will be offered horome treatment: tamoxifen if you are pre-menopausal, Arimidex or one of the other aromatose inhibitors if post-menopausal. If you are HER2+ Herceptin will be offered. You might also ask for a DEXA bone density scan, to get a baseline of your bone density as the aromatose inhibitors can thin the bones - tamoxifen doesn’t do this.

I found it a big shock to learn that I was strongly advised to have chemotherapy, but somehow you do find the inner strength to get through some debilitating months.

The ladies, and indeed men, here are always willing to answer any question, no matter how trivial it may seem, as we have all been there in the past, and hopefully can help others along their own journey.

Take care,
Liz.

Hi xinte, This is a dreadful time in your cancer experience. Everything is so raw and to learn the extent of spread is truly shocking for you. However, here’s my story so far. I had several tumours, largest 5cm, 12 affected nodes. I had 12 months of treatment whick I was lucky enough to tolerate very well. And here I am 5 years later, a bit stiff and menopausal with Arimidex but with no sign of further cancer spread. It seems like the end of the world right now, I can remember those feelings very well. Please keep in your mind that there are people out there who are well despite everything. Wishing you the best of luck

Hi xinte

As well as the support you receive from your fellow forum users you may find it helpful to contact the BCC helpline where you are able to talk in confidence to one of our trained members of staff. Here you can share your fears and concerns to someone who will offer a ‘listening ear’ as well as support and advice if required. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Faciilitator

I too felt the end of the world had come when I got my dx this Feb. I too had multifocal breast cancer as they call ie more than one tumour. My tumours were 5cm and 2cm and had spread to 6/21 lymph nodes so I am currently undergoing chemo. I am have 4FEC and 4 taxotere which seems to be regime at least in this area for lymph node involvement. Some areas seem to offer 3 of each. When I was told it was in a total of 6 lymph nodes by the registrar i said" well that’s not too bad is it". He said " Well its not good!!!". I do not know how old you are. I am 56. I was then told because of my age they are throwing everything at me. Being, chemo, rads, Herceptin as I am HER2 and then Tamoxifen/Arimidex.

It is really good for those like us to hear from others above how well they are doing 5 years on. Like they say you will probably have scans to see if it has spread. That is standard for most people with lymph node involvement but doesnt mean it has spread elsewhere.

It is hard for others who have not had bc I find to understand that I have hopefully had the cancer cut out of me with a mastectomy and the chemo and rads are an insurance policy.

If there is anything at all that worries you do not hesitate to come on here and ask. You will find tremendous practical and emotional support on here.

Starfish

Hi xinte

Just noticed your thread we’ve all been thinking about you on facebook,

I’m so sorry you are going through this,Realise you are trying to get your head round this at the moment,

Good look for the 29th,

Love n hugs xxxxxEleanor