Possible chemo

Hi everyone,

ive spoken to my breast care nurse today and she mentioned I might have to have chemo. I don’t know if was just not concentrating on Friday when I was diagnosed but I hadn’t realised there was a possibility of chemo. I thought I was just going to have radio and an op. I feel really down today because chemo scares me. The thought of losing my hair is just horrible. I’m only 26. would that make it more important for me to have chemo? Or is it more because of the type cancer it is?

Esther

Hi Ester

I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time. You might find it useful to read the BCC booklet ‘chemotherapy for breast cancer’. It explains what chemotherapy is, how it works, and the benefits that may be gained from it. Also the booklet ‘treating breast cancer’ may be helful as it gives information on the different types of breast cancer and what treatments may be available. If you would like to read either of these on line or to order copies just follow these links:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/chemotherapy-breast-cancer-bcc17

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-and-side-effects/treating-breast-cancer-bcc4

I hope you find these helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Esther
Sorry you have had to join the forums but welcome x I would say they have advised chemo either because of the grade of the tumour or because of your age, they tend to treat aggressively in younger people so throw everything at it, Chemo is not plesant by any means but it IS do-able, depending on the chemo you are on you may not lose your hair , FEC tends to be the one that does th most damage to hair but you could try the cold cap to keep it some ladies do manage to, I lost all my hair but within weeks of finishing my chemo had a fine covering and within 4 months a full head of hair back , good luck with your treatment hun, I can only say if they advise chemo it would be for your interest

xx

Hi Esther
I’m sorry that you find yourself here but you’ll get an awful lot of support. I agree with lottie63, it’s very rare for chemo not to be advised for younger women, I was 43 on diagnosis (believe it or not still considered young!) and my BCN told me from the outset that it would be on the cards due to my age. Many things are considered when it comes to your treatment plan, your age, tumour size, grade, lymph involvement and HER2 status (if you’re HER2+ you have to have herceptin with chemo). The fear of chemo is far far worse than the reality, I worked through most of mine whilst looking after my 5 year old daughter and still managed to have nice days out. I decided against the cold cap for various reasons, even though I hated being bald and wouldn’t let anyone but close family see me without a head covering, however, I finished chemo 7 months ago, have a good covering of hair, nobody would ever know.
Also, there is a Facebook group for Younger women diagnosed with breastcancer, it’s a lovely group and i’m sure you’d get a lot of support there as well as on here, if you read the attached link it tells you how to join.
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/younger-women/facebook-network-younger-women-diagnosed-breast-cancer?page=2
Take care
Lydia x

Hi Lottie, it’s grade 2 and its only 15mm. I haven’t had my her2 results back yet though. My mum had breast cancer 3 years ago and didn’t have chemo. Hers was 28mm and was invasive lobular. My sister went through chemo years ago. She is 40 now but at the time she was 15 and had an astrocytoma glioma. I’m used to the idea of cancer but all of a sudden I feel overwhelmed today.

thanks for the link Lydia. I’ve just messaged them. I work full time at the moment although I’m off this week trying to get used to everything. Not sure how I’m going to cope with everything right now.

Esther xxxxx