Post Chemo Fatigue

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been posting on another more general thread regarding neoadjuvant chemo, but haven’t been there in a while as I’m in total limbo between chemo & surgery plans.

I’m posting here as I find myself completely ‘broadsided’ by fatigue.

Leaving aside all the usual nasty side effects, I wasn’t too bad through 4 x EC then 3 of 4 Doctaxel, until just before my last chemo. Then fatigue and some swelling kicked in big time. The swelling seemed to go away with the pre-chemo steroids, but has now returned. I’m only eleven days out, so probably being a bit naïve & expecting too much, but I feel absolutely BLASTED! Any tips about how to deal with this? Any idea about when the swelling might wear off? Am doing some acupuncture for other issues & informed my practitioner. Had a quick search in the back catalogue here, but couldn’t find a whole lot so apologies if there is an ongoing thread which I’ve missed?

Many thanks,

Lomalinda

XXX

Hi Lomalinda

I am sure you will receive lots of helpful advice and support form other users very soon, but in the meantime, I have given the link to the Cancer Backup site which has some very useful information on the subject of fatigue.

cancerbackup.org.uk/Home

I do hope you find this information of some help.

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Hi Lomalinda

Don’t have any answers for you but I too have just completed neoadjuvant chemo (4 x FEC and 4 X Docetaxel). I feel like I’m 110 ! (not my actual 41 years). Also seem to have some swelling in my legs, although sounds like yours is more severe. Still managing to work but doing very little walking.
I’m having an MRI scan on Monday and then surgery on the 7th. When is your surgery due? Did the chemo shrink the lump? Mine has been pretty successful and the surgeon seems pretty sure they will do a lumpectomy (providing nothing out of the ordinary shows up in the scan).

Hoping you feel better soon
Sarah
x

Hi Sarah,

I’m sure I’ve seen your posts, just can’t remember where!..
I’m 45 & it sounds like similar to you. I’ve had an ultrasound since my last chemo, which looks good; I was 1.9mm to start, and they couldn’t see much, so gave me a mammogram as well! I’ll be having an MRI next Thurs., then surgery sometime before the end of Oct. Your schedule is really swift! My hospital has a super busy MRI dept. and the MD team have to all meet up before I finally get my clinic appt. with my surgeon. I’m really hoping for a lumpectomy as well.

Did you have a clip fitted near the tumour site?
And have you had an SNB/node sampling?

I second the 110 years old thing!; I guess having been pretty lucky so far, the way I feel is a bit of a shock. Can’t walk as much as waddle with my thighs all bulked up!

I hope you manage to shake off a few ‘years’ before your OP!
Let me know how you get on ,

Thanks too, Louise, that site is a great resource.

Lomalinda

XXX

Hi Lomalinda

Great to hear that the chemo worked so well for you. I started off with a 3.6cm lump which is now around 1.6cm although I’m convinced it is feeling bigger again since teh chemo finifshed but I know it’s probably all in the mind but will be extra happy to get it removed asap ! Didn’t have a clip fitted, but maybe that’s due to having a larger tumour. Had my SNB prior to chemo and think that allow a quicker recovery from the op. Also good to have gone through the op process already - it’s most likely going to be day surgery which means going in at lunchtime and home again in time for tea !

Will keep you posted
Sarah
x

What??? Day surgery?

Hi Sarah, That would be wonderful wouldn’t it?

I just have no idea about mine as yet, so I’m trying not to get my hopes up. You’ve had a really good result too! That puts you into a ‘small’ classification (well under 2cm) which must be a good thing. I have to say that they were still using callipers to try & measure me, so I think things seem bigger from the outside sometimes!

Re: SNB, I’m guessing your nodes were clear or not too many affected? Yes, it’s a bonus not to have more than one incision to deal with. It’s great to see how a scar can change over six months too.

By the way, I’ve tried a dose of Ibuprofen and it’s taken the edge off the swelling…though I should say that I that that was without taking any advice first ….

Good luck with the MRI on Monday. And yes, do keep me posted.

Lomalinda

XXX

Hi Sarah,

Just wanted to wish you all the best for Tuesday. Hope it all goes to plan & that you will be home in time for your tea, as you said!
Still haven’t had my MRI; it will be tomorrow & surgery planning at the end of the week. Still struggling with the docetaxel aftermath, any change for you?

Let me know how you get on…

Lomalinda

XXX

Hi Lomalinda

Had my surgery yesterday, went in at 12.15 and was indeed back out in time for tea ! Feeling a bit stiff and sore but generally the painkillers are doing their job and not feeling too bad considering - slept reasonably well last night. Also feel I have more movement in my arm compared to when I had my lymph nodes done - I suppose the incision is not so close to my armpit which helps. My boob only looks slightly smaller then the other one, but obviously quite swollen and so will have to wait a while to know how it really looks. Have an appointment next Thurs to find out it I have clear margins - fingers crossed !

How was your MRI ? Let me know when you get your op date.

Sarah
xxx

Hi Sarah,

So glad to hear that all went well for you! One more thing done & over!

Yes, I think it must be a bit more uncomfortable when you have an SNB at the same time…I’m not surprised to hear what you say about movement.

MRI went well but they never comment; now just waiting for my date with surgeon tomorrow. I have to admit to feeling a bit nervous, so your post has helped to calm me down a little. Thank you !

Take good care of yourself & rest up. Let me know how it all goes next Thursday; it seems from what I’ve read that they are really getting better at surgery planning with all the scans they can do beforehand; so here’s hoping your margins will be %100 A O.K.!

Speak soon,

Lomalinda

XXX