cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post-Op advice

5 REPLIES 5
Pyari

Re: Post-Op advice

Sorry in delay for replying. Saw BCN on Thursday and she says everything seems ok. The wound is not red and there is seroma but not that much that needs draining and it isn't causing me any discomfort, in fact I was glad as I didn't want to be poked by any more needles. Looking at myself it doesn't seem to be any change in the amount of swelling so I hope this is the worse it's going to get. I'm having pain killers at night to so that I can get restful sleep and my sister in law is bring me a v shaped pillow today. I am seeing my consultant on Thursday for post op follow up and I will get my self checked again.
I'll let you know how I get on. Xx

kitten_mad

No problem - glad you got out and about today. You always think that people are looking at your boobs but in actual fact they aren't. Wearing ear rings is another good way of deflecting them 😉

Your sausage shape squishy item doesn't sound like my seromas, mine were really painful. If you are still in a lot of pain you could ask for Tramadol or Dihydrocodiene - I prefer the 2nd one personally. I have never had a C section so can't work out how big your scar is. My recon was LD flap and small implant, and last month I got a new nipple. I am still on painkillers for that but only at night. If you can't get comfy in bed I can highly recommend a V shaped pillow.

Let us know what the BCN says, and PM me if you want any more advice.

K M x

Pyari

Thanks for your reply. I'm not having reconstruction as I'm due to have radiotherapy. I picked up courage today and had a look at myself in the mirror. I didn't get upset but the wound is bigger than a c-section.
I spoke to the BCN today and advised seroma only needs to removed if I'm in pain and am not able to do my exercises or unable normal movements with my arm. I can do all this and the only pain I have is under my arm. I'm taking co-codamol prescribed by the hospital. Area around the wound and under my arm is tender and squishy. It looks like a long squashy sausage running from middle of my chest to under my arms.It doesn't appear to have changed over the last few days, however I will go to see BCN on Thursday to be checked over to put my mind to rest.
The weather was nice today so went to the shops with my daughter. I put on a slip on bra with padding and if looked as if I had normal breast on the right though little smaller than the other side. I had a bright silk scarf around my neck to take attention away from my chest, and I actually felt quite normal going out today.

Hope you are recovering well, take care x Pyari
Lucy_BCC

Hi Pyari

There is some post op information via this link which you may find helpful, please also feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any queries and concerns on 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/after%C2...

Take care
Lucy BCC

kitten_mad

Did you have any recon with the Mx? It seems very early to get your dressings off. Mine were on for longer than that. I didn't want to look at the wound when I was in hospital but made myself do it as soon as I got home. I think the sooner you do it the better - although it is hard. My hospital supplied soft bras to come home in, cotton front fastening ones. I then wore pull on bras from Asda. Is the swelling where you think there is a seroma sort of pointy and squishy? Mine was like a mini boob at the side. Getting a seroma drained is pretty sore, and you can try to put some heat on it to help, like a covered hot water bottle for example. I think you need to phone your Breast Care Nurse to get some answers to all of your questions. It does seem as if you have been discharged without any advice at all. I had seroma drained twice, and basically I got it done when I couldn't stand it any longer! 

I feel I haven't really offered you any real answers but I would definitely phone up tomorrow for some specific answers and ask them whether you need to go back to get the seroma dealt with. The swelling may not be due to that at all. Are you still taking painkillers?

Take care

K M x

Pyari

Post-Op advice

Hi all, I had Rt Mx and axillary node clearance on 21st Mar as day surgery. Had op at 9am and I was at home at 4 with a drain which was to be removed after 7 days and the dressing to be removed within 7-10 days. I went back on the Mon to have the drain bottle replaced as it had filled up. Had drain removed on Thursday 27th and the dressing removed by the nurse at my GP's who said the wound looked fine.
I have been feeling down since the dressing has been removed and haven't able to look at myself in the mirror to see the what it looks like fully. At the moment it feels soft at the front and under my arm, however it's painful under my arm, I have been wearing my husbands shirts as they are loose and cool.
I'm not wearing a bra either worried that ii might open my wound. I'm doing my exercises
My questions are
1)how can I pick up courage to look at myself
2) is it ok to wear bra this soon after surgery
3)is it ok to get the wound wet as I'm covering it which doesn't allow me to have proper shower/bath
4) 830mls of seroma was collected whilst I had my drain on, I am not sure the softness around the wound is
Seroma and when exactly do I go back to get it drained?

Thank you all for your advice.