cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Surgery Exercises

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Post Surgery Exercises

Uuugh Yuck - are you trying to put me off cocktails Jane?

Annie thought that hers looked like Lava Lamps.

I tried not to look at mine Smiley LOL

Mx

Highlighted

I HATED the drain thing. I had mine a week, and luckily have hade no leakage, fluid gathering or swelling since removal, hurrah.

My daughter and I were watching Made in Chelsea (don't judge) and the silly cocktails they were drinking looked exactly the same as the contents of my drain bottle.

Jane xx

Highlighted

Thanks so much everyone, I've had a go at the warm up and basic exercises, I think that was enough for today. Thanks for the reassurance that it will take time.  I'm hoping to have the drains out tomorrow, they're driving me mad, they're so awkward aren't they?  I'm currently carrying them in a long handled bag round my neck and they're hanging there like some weird kind of sporran.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I started my gentle exercises day 1 after ms surgery on 28th of November with my drain still on. Drain removed yesterday and started wall climbing exercise today. The phsioterapist said to do as much as you can without pain
Highlighted

Hi Strawb 

I had a bilateral mx with immediate reconstruction on the 17th November. Unfortunately I ended up in hospital for a week on antibiotics and had one drain removed before coming home. The other one was removed a week later when the dressings were changed.

I started with gentle exercises on day 3 and have been doing some pottering about at home - but being careful not to raise my arms above shoulder height.

I'm still in some pain and discomfort so am basically listening to my body - if it hurts - stop!!

Jen x Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hello there,

I only had a drain one side from ANC and did excercises from day one with drain in for seven days. Just make sure to only do the very gentle ones and don't push it.

love

jane

Highlighted

Hi strawb and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support you have here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support so please feel free to call to talk any queries or concerns over. Lines are open during the week 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC after surgery and exercise information which may help:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/after-b...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Highlighted

Sent a msg but seems lost. Apols if repeat. Ok to do exercises with drains in. I found it helpful to put drains in shoulder bag while doing the exercises. Slow but mostly steady progress with odd setback. 2 weeks after surgery now. Good luck! Don't be disheartened if progress frustratingly slow! X
Highlighted

Hi
I had bilateral mx last Friday and only now am I able to to start moving properly it had my drains out the next morning before I went home. They said they like to take them out asap now so your body learns to absorb its own fluid. Weird how if differs at every hospital. I am not sure whether or not you should do the exercises with your drains in. It assume so? Maybe call your BCN. Today and just check

Wishing you a speedy recovery xx
Highlighted

Post Surgery Exercises

Hello everyone

I've been reading the posts here for some time.  I was diagnosed initially on 5th November with LC and after all the tests etc I had a bi-lateral MX yesterday.  I'm home after just one night in hospital (hooray) and have a drain in either side but forgot to ask, do I do the exercises with the drains in or do I wait until they come out?  I had a sentinel node biopsy so my left underam is quite sore, but the painkillers are helping. 

Love to you all x