Post Surgery Pain - Re-assurance please?

Hi, I had a left mastectomy last August [2012] followed by ANC in September. I’m currently getting chemo before going onto Tamoxifen in March. Over the previous 6 months I have done, and continue to do exercises on my left arm to increase its strength and mobility. The pains and discomfort I have felt during the last 6 months have reduced and I tend to describe them more as discomfort. For the last couple of days I have had that tennis ball in the arm pit feeling again. Its the first time for a while and I’m a bit concerned as to whether or not this is ‘normal’ This morning I went to visit friends and drove for the longest time I have in the last 3 months, only 1/2 hour though. When I got out of the car I felt something ‘twang’ on my left shoulder. Almost like an elastic band had been stretched, then plucked. Sorry thats the only way I can describe it. It went in a straight line from the top of my shoulder, down to my armpit. No major pain but and nothing since. Any ideas what it could have been?

I was also wondering, presuming this was a one-off thing with no further issues surrounding it, how long do these pains and episodes of discomfort last after surgery? Will I ever get to a point were both arms feel the same, and normal?

Thanks, Shazza x

Dear Shazza

While you wait for replies to your post you may also find it helpful to talk things over with our Helpline staff. They will be able to offer you information and support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000 and calls are free and confidential.

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator