Post-chemo hair regrowth and no shampoo

I remember hearing, a long time ago, that if you stop using shampoo etc. after a few weeks/months of greasy hair your body then begins to manage the oils and your hair becomes soft and clean naturally. Has anyone else heard of this? Or more importantly, tried it?

Apparently the journalist Matthew Parris is a no-shampoo convert of almost 20 years - Google “Matthew Parris shampoo” for lots of articles.

I’ve just finished chemo and was wondering if I should give it a go when my hair starts to regrow. Imagine the freedom of not having to worry about shampoo and conditioner and just using plain old water to clean your hair … I’d be in and out of the shower in no time :slight_smile:

Hello there, I’ve heard of this but haven’t tried it - my hair has been back about 3 months now, -originally quite coarse and very curly, already becoming softer and less curly …is it the leave in conditioner I’m using?!
Nicola

I tried it when first on chemo.I’d kept it quite long and combed and brushed it daily but after about a month it started to mat into dreadlocks and I had quite a job sorting it out!
josie x

hi
I was advised to use only baby shampoo for at least the first 12 months.I am now 6 months post chemo and my hair is quite thick and soft but a lovely shade of silver!It was a bit curly and wiry at first but now seems to have settled down, but I still let it dry naturally and use macadamia to keep it under control.

My OH was a believer in this for a while… until he got horrible dandruff and went back to shampoo. It didn’t smell to clean to me when he was just rinsing without soap!

When I had my in-between-chemos-hair I used Waitrose baby shampoo (my daughter’s) which I highly recommend - not too expensive, smells totally delicious and is very gentle. No parabens etc either.

I’ve had to go back to using Head and Shoulders for itchy scalp (which I used to use) because even with fuzz the itch and dry scalp came back.

Jo