Post mastectomy

Hi, just got home from hospital after a mastectomy on Friday, I had an expander at the same time, does anyone have experience of this? My new temporary boob feels like a rock! The hospital said it is normal but would be good to know what to expect if anyone has experienced similar?
Thanks

Hi Sals

I had my mastectomy on 24th Sept - so nearly 2 weeks ago now. Yes, my implant felt very hard to begin with but seems to be softening up a bit now.

It took me over a week to pluck up the courage to look at it - but once my drain was taken out and the dressing taken off the surgery site (last Thursday) i decided the time had come to take a peak. It wasn’t a pretty sight at first but I’m getting used to it now and I can tell it’s going to be fine once the stitches have dissolved and the scar starts to heal it will be ready to start to be fully inflated.

At the moment there’s just a smallish amount of saline(?) in it but this has already given me the start of a boob shape and I think I’m going to pleased with the outcome.

I’m starting to get a sort of tingling in the area - my BCN says thats all the nerves starting to get better - so all is well.

If you want to ask me anything else specific please do - as I’m a couple of weeks ahead of you.?

Love

Helen

xxx

Thanks Helen, that’s all very educational right now my expander feels like it is full but maybe that’s more swelling than saline? I have braved a loom and because I still have my dressing covering the scar all looks pretty ok somi’m Easing myself in gently. Did you have the drains in for 2 weeks, my surgeon is hoping to take one out this week which will be 1 week after surgery - is it painful taking them out? Mind you anything must be better than dragging them around with you. Keep healing well?
Love
Sally

That’s great to hear, I wish you all the luck with your results tomorrow, I have one of those v-pillows which I then fill in with another pillow under my back and one under my head, this and a couple of codeine that I have been prescribed seem to be helping me to have not too bad a nights sleep, if you haven’t tried the V give it a go it’s a bit like making a nest for yourself! I’m only a few days in but definitely can see each day is a step in the right direction
Love
Sally
X