cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post menopause

9 REPLIES 9
Flyingarcher

Re: Post menopause

I'm surprised they even mentioned mastectomy as your lump is really small.  as I learned on Monday, size doesn't really matter and it is grade that governs treatment.  Mine was graded at biopsy.  

the tests take quite a long time that they run on the tumour, once excised and they can't tell anything from looking at what they take out.  Really, it's the pathologists who govern our treatment.  Surgeons kind of just do what the test results indicate what should happen, then oncologists decide what adjuvent therapies and accompanying drugs match the path report for best outcome.  It's all really personalised now so don't get too worried if someone on here says 'I am having x,y,z' because we all are different (and a bit comes down to individual consultant preference and expertise as well).   For our type of cancer, surgery and hormone therapy are the most effective treatment.  Anything else is belt and braces.

good luck.

Bouskillg

Thanks so much, you have made me feel much more positive about my decision. Thank god for this forum, it has kept me strong. Gail x

Optimissy64

Hi there

Like PatriciaMay I too had the choice between lumpectomy and mastectomy and opted for lumpectomy as the outcomes are the same. When i asked my sugeon after the op why I was given a choice then, he said that "some ladies like to get everything taken away for peace of mind." Well, my mind is extrememly peaceful 6 months after the op, nice neat scar, perfectly shaped breast (well, as much as it ever was lol!) and after my rads am back to doing everything I did before and then some. Hormone tablet working fine so far - no nasty side effects as yet, and hope there may not be any, and really grateful my 1.4 cm lump was spotted and removed. Sentinel node was clear. Rest easy about your decision - if a mastectomy was vital for your survival they would have told you so. Best wishes for your treatment and full recovery.xxx

Patriciamay

Hi there

good news that your team is so positive, as said this stage BC is very treatable.  Might be they mentioned Letrozoke which is used for post menopausal women?

I had 2 small lesions and opted for a lumpectomy, I am quite well endowed mind so plenty to play with.  They would have given me a mastectomy if I wanted but I didn't even consider evidence is fab for lumpectomy.  Hope all goes well. Xx

Bouskillg

Hi Sandra, I met my consultant for first time yesterday, she said my tiny blobby is less than a cm & very treatable, confirmed it is hormone receptive and i will need hormone blockers for 5 years. Says I wont need herceptin but I cant remember the code she used.  Gland was clear but they are taking it out too. She gave me choice of lumptectomy or mastectomy but says survival rates are practically the same so have opted for the lumptectomy - didnt seem to be much point in losing everything for no gain. I keep wondering now if I am doing the right thing, I suppose its just a personal choice. She says once lump and gland are out they will be able to grade it, I wish they could tell me before I made the choice. Hope you are good. Thanks for your support. x

Bouskillg

Thank you for the advice everyone, its very confusing all the different medical jargon but I am learning something new every day, I had already decided not to google - thank god for this forum. x

rubycat

Hello Bouskillg, sorry you're here, but welcome to this great forum, full of really wonderful helpful people who will get you through this rough time.   It is all the unknown at the beginning, but you will get used to all the terms the docs will use.  I never knew there was more than one type of breast cancer. Although oestrogen lessens after menopause, it is still there.  I was 61 and well past it (well!!) when I got bc 2 years ago.

If your breast cancer cells have oestrogen receptors, the cancer is said to be ER positive. About two thirds of women with breast cancer have hormone positive cancers.  

If you are ER+ then you will have some sort of hormone therapy after any op that you need.

Try to take one thing at a time, and DON'T GOOGLE - which is full of outdated and misleading info, which will not apply to your particular bc. It's a good idea to find out info as you need it from here and Macmillan sites.  If you go to the main page of Breast Cancer Care you can download all the info you need.  Do come back here as there is always someone who will support and help.  You can also phone for advice on this site. Take care.Cat Very Happyxxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Bouskillg

I am also hormone receptor positive and post menopausal, apparently even if you are post menopausal you still have some estrogen in our body fat, I never knew that.

SandraSussex

Hi Boudkillg,

I am post menopause! It means that your tumour is driven by oestrogen which the body still has in fat....we still produce oestrogen after menopause!
If it does turn out to be hormone receptive you will be able to take tablets for 5 or 10 years which stops oestrogen!
Mine is hormone receptive!

Sandra x
Bouskillg

Post menopause

I had hospital appointment yesterday. They said they wont know if I need chemo until I have had lumpectomy and gland removed on 29/6 (gland was clear when they did biopsy) they mentioned testing for hormone's but I really dont understand how it could be homone receptive when I am post menopause, are there any older ladies who can explain please.