Post op .Oophorectomy

I was dx last August (2012) and very soon after had the lump taken out.  I was given Tamoxifen but was quite ill with it.  My consultant advised me of one of two ways I could go.  The first was monthly injections and the other was oophorectomy.  I opted for the latter and had the op on 21st August.  My period had started at the beginning of the week (great!) and was in pain and losing much blood anyway.  I am now at home in bed.  Sore where I had stitches and also in my chest/throat where the pipe was put in.  I have pain killers, feel so sluggish still, feel sick and just totally out of it. I can’t go toilet properly and am now bleeding from back passage (so sorry to be blunt about it though).  I keep crying over the slightest thing.  I feel as if I have been left to get on with it all now.  I have had to look on internet about the procedure before and after as nothing really had been explained about what to expect.  I just feel so lonely even though my husband is just so lovely as are our kids.  Where doI go from here?  Why do I feel I have been left to deal with any consequences?   Feeling angry and hurt with just about everything right now and I don’t like it.  It’s not ‘Me’.   Feeling so low.  Will it end?   Not looking forward to the surgical menopause either :frowning:

Cheryl it does get better! You need and deserve more medical support. There are highly qualified professionals who can help you with what sounds like an immediate hormone imbalance post oophorectomy. It’s such early days - so rest and try to keep yourself pain free until you can call for help from the support staff at the hospital where you were operated. I wish you well.

Hi Cheryl63

I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time at the moment.  We have just re-launched the forum so it is taking users a while to get used to the new lay out but I’m sure they will soon be a long to offer your their experiences and support.

In the meantime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpine.  Here you can share your feelings and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator