cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post op - driving

12 REPLIES 12
Flyingarcher

Re: Post op - driving

How did you know it was infected?  I've taken the dressing off because it is itching like crazy.  I've put on various ungents but still itchy.  It's not hot and I feel ok.  Smells a bit because it's been dressed for 11 days.  

We are getting there, ladies.  I can extend arm out laterally fine but a stretch up or downwards is still rather twingy.  Upwards I can only get to point to 2 o'clock at best.  Deffo worse in the evenings.  Do recommend cold compressing.  It's stopped that feeling of something being stuffed under your arm.   My under arm scar is rather knobbly.  I assume it will flatten and whiten in time.

hey ho.  At least 

I feel like me at last.  Just want to get results over with.  Still haven't got an appointment.  Have left a message for bc nurse....

AliOG

Great news, ladies! Feels good to get some independence back, doesn't it? I drove to the hospital to have my wound/swelling checked today and found out the wound is infected. Boo! Now on anti biotics for a week which is a blow but at least it was checked. Felt like I was making a fuss over nothing by going but glad I did. Still have painful armpit and it's definitely worse in the evening but seems to be creeping back towards the wound now so not so widespread. X

Lizzie

That's great news.  I think I will try tomorrow.  I'm struggling with extending my right arm - how is yours? Xo

Flyingarcher

Hi.  I've just driven.  Husband came too and it wasn't far - ten mins there and same back.  All good.  Means I can manage to take myself to the hospital.   Had op on the 4 th

not going to push it and won't do anything lengthy but just nice to know I can actually get to the Mcmillan centre for a complimentary therapy before I land up back to work.

see how I am in the morning.

really recommend cold compressing the arm pit for short periods.

ladybowler
Community Champion

Lizzie

Mine was right boob as well, I left it a good three weeks, and someone suggested that I have a small hand towel in the car so that if the seat belt did rub, I could put that between the strap and my boob, I did not need it but I think it was because my scar was towards the top of my breast so teh seat belt didnt rub.

Helena xxx

Lizzie

Thank you for all the replies - I will definitely wait a while until I get back behind the wheel.xo

lizred

no you're not being a wimp, its about you being comfortable and also safe to drive - I wanted to make sure I had the strength in my arm that side to turn the steering wheel sharply if needed (say if a child had run out in front of me), or turn around and manouver for parking etc - when I thought I was ready I had a quick practice on my road with no other cars around. Think I started driving after about 3 weeks but only short trips at first

queenbee

When asked if i drove i was told at least 4 weeks. (Although i dont drive anyway) Had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes biopsy.
AliOG

I'd give it a few more days if you still feel a bit fragile. I still feel bruised and lumpy and sore so it's still early days for you. Take care and heal well x

Lizzie

Thank you - it's 9 days since op - right boon so worried about the seat belt and still feeling very bruised. I thought maybe I was being a wimp so feel better hearing from you ladies - thank you xo
AliOG

Hi Lizzie,

i had had my op on April 24th. I saw the consultant on Tuesday (2 weeks after op) and he said I was fine to drive although I was a bit unsure so left it until yesterday so that's 2 and a half weeks. I didn't go very far but it was fine. Hardest thing was putting the handbrake on (op was left side) but apart from that, no problems. As I've been at home for so long now it felt good to know that I can now get about if I need to. It's made me feel a bit helpless/useless not being able to drive. Hope that helps! I guess everyone is different and you should only give it a go if you feel ready. Try changing gear without the car moving first to see how you get on. Good luck!

Debbie61

I was told not to drive for at least two weeks (I had mx). Debbie x

Lizzie

Post op - driving

Hi, is anyone out there driving yet?  If yes - how long did you wait after your op?