Post op mx with temporary implant discomfort

Posted on behalf of new user Kathryn
Jo, Facilitator
Hello,
This is my first post. I am 3 weeks post mx and full lymph node clearance. I start chemo in 2 weeks followed by rads. I’m feeling pretty low about everything. I have 2 young children and am 41. I also have a temporary implant that is really uncomfortable, not very painful but hard and find it difficult getting a comfortable position to go to sleep. I’m also worried about coping with the chemo and managing a 3 and 5 year old with school runs etc. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Bump

Hello Kathryn,
Well done for your first post! I know it takes courage initially but you will find it such a source of support.
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling low- its very early days for you and quite normal. There are a few things in waht you say:
re sleeping with the expander - it takes time. I used to sleep on my back and of course that is now impossibel. Initially, I used to cry with frustration, just because I couldnt sleep how I wanted. If you feel its more than this, would go back and get it checked. Your surgeon might be able to take some fluid out of the expander to make you more comfortable, and then add more further along.
I was 40 when I was diagnosed with b/c the first time. My daughter was 2. I am being treated again and she is 5. Its hard with young children but they keep you going. The chemo is hard, but do-able. Its predictable - so you can expect to rough for the first few days and it is at this point, I would say to plan and get support. The parents at my daughter’s school have been brilliant and better able to offer support than friends who live so far away. YOU NEED TO ACCEPT ALL OFFERS OF HELP! Play dates, weekends away, stocking up on frozen meals, bought or made.
I would suggest joing a thread on the ‘being treated-chemotherapy.’ Do you love near a Haven/Maggies?
Hope this helps a bit. Do send a message if you want to ask more.
You will get through this.
Rattles, x

Hi Kathryn, welcome to the site. You’ll find lots of helpful advice here.
I had a silicone implant after my MX June 2011. I found sleeping with a small block of sponge under my armpit helpful but I didn’t have full node clerarance. It does settle down but takes a fair while. You may also find that rads affect it. Any worries I always speak to BCN who is brill.
Chemo affects people differently but you will feel tired - accept any help that is offered to you, don’t feel you’re putting people out, they wouldn’t ask if they didn’t want to help. Radiotherapy was a lot better for me - no probs at all.
Good luck with your treatment
Take care
Stella x

Hello Kathryn
My first reply! I too am a few weeks post op and my implant is giving me jip, until I read some reassuring posts I thought I was being a bit of a wuss. I feel as if I have plastic picnic bowl sat on my ribs which moves as I do.
I too feel low low low and I don’t have little people to see to. We will get through this and there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. . We just got to dig in and hang on. Take every offer of help going I am sending positivity vibes your way.
F.x