Post surgery DCIS

Hi this is my first post, I was diagnosed with low grade DCIS and had a lumpectomy after a wire insertion(is that a WLE?) on 29th Nov, all appeared to have gone well. I went to hear results on Wednesday and they said I had redness and a swelling in my breast which should disappear the liquid being reabsorbed, I had noticed it was getting tender. However it got worse almost immediately and is now so very tender. I must admit I have been getting very worried it was such a shock as I had only gone for a routine mammogram,although I feel such a fraud after reading through other posts on this site and seeing what others have had to suffer. I have to return again next week as they are doing more tests so the nurse/consultant will be able to have another look and advise but in meantime any advice on how to relieve the tenderness, how long is it likely to last and should I still do the post op exercises. I really want to have a big scratch but know I can’t !

Any advice will be appreciated - polli

Hiya - did the swelling increase greatly where your breast is tender and red? The liquid that they refer to can build into something called a seroma, which simply means that the fluid hasn’t drained away, and your breast care nurse can aspirate that away for you and make you much more comfortable. Some hospitals are very good at warning women that this can happen (and it is very, very common, and nothing to be alarmed about), but other hospitals seem to assume it won’t happen, and leave people feeling worried, like you - when treating it is so simple.

Call your breast care nurse tomorrow and ask to see her to have it drained - you will feel far more comfortable afterwards. And don’t be put off by a nurse telling you it’s not all that swollen - if it’s causing you considerable discomfort, it needs draining. It may need to be done more than once, if it swells again over a period of days, again - this is very, very common.

(WLE stands for wide local excision - it’s the same as a lumpectomy)

Sophie xx

Hi Sophie thanks so much for the advice I feel much happier after reading it and seeing it is very common to have swelling - wish I had been warned! I will contact my breast care nurse first thing Monday as I have only just picked this post up.

Hi, sorry to hear you have had to join us on the forums and are on this rollercoaster ride. You will find these forums a good source of information and support, as I have.

I had wire guided wide local excision x 2, June and August this year as, unfortunately, didn’t get it all the first time round so needed re-excision. After the first op I had a haematoma drained, which was a bit painful but much more comfortable afterwards. It was a real shame had to have op done again as the Consultant made such a good job of the first op., but the second one was fine, no haematoma this time but longer recovery/more pain relief required. You may need radiotherapy, which I found a bit of a shock as I was told originally I wouldn’t, but had to have 15 daily treatments; it was very tiring with the travelling/parking but the treatment is nothing at all to worry about and takes minutes. The staff are all so lovely too.

Yes, I do feel a bit of fraud when you read other posts and it does make us feel how lucky we are to have been picked up so early, could have been a different story for us if we hadn’t been screened when we were (I was having a cyst drained at 48 when the doctor saw something on the mammogram I had had 10 mins earlier! At 48 I was too young to be on the NHS screening).

I hope all your tests go well and here’s hoping we all have a happy and healthy New Year
Lorraine xxx

Hi

Same story for me, I feel on occasion do I really have bc as low grade DCIS. I’m sometimes moved to tears with what some are going through. When I reply to a topic I hope I can give some support, whilst being very thankful for the national screening programme. I was picked up attending my very first one.

I had WLE using a wire to locate area at end of September 10. Results unfortunately showed I needed a re-exision as unclear margins on 2 sides.

Results of this were great, no invasive found & excellent margins of 10mm. Boy did I enjoy Christmas.

However, as area larger, my age(51) and other family (not classed as close) members on same side who have had cancer (2 of them breast, grandmother/first cousin who dies at 42 of this disease) I was recommended for radiotherapy to lower my risk of recurrance.

About to start this (planning done last week, after a long wait) & 3 weeks RT from 01/03/11.

I hope that will be the last treatment I need, & nothing else sprung on me. Still I don’t think the type of bc matters; you do go through a life changing event. The way you look at things is never the same again.

Prior to all this I hadn’t been to a GP for over 15 years.

As a bonus when having pre-op blood test etc I also have type 2 diabeties. I didn’t know about that either. On tablets for the rest of my life, but seems an OK price to pay, for my DCIS being picked up so early. I certainly think I have been very lucky.

Lynne

hi this is my first time on forum,i have just had op for dcis in 2 areas, so the surgeon took quite alot away dont know exacly how much till wed when have dressing removed,it is very neat as plastic surgeon did theraputic mamaplasty dont know if that is spelt correct but its a breast reduction,i had to ring my nurse as was worried about the water swishing noise, she said it was normal, if it started to swell or become hard to ring her,it is swollen and a bit uncomfortable,but its hard to know if that is just normal swelling.i will be told results wed but they seemed really quite positive it was early so fingers crossed, i hope all goes well for you xxxxxxxxxxlilliana

I know everyone says it, but it really is great to read comments from others who are in the same situation or have been there.

I was diagnosed with low-grade DCIS and had a WLE following insertion of a wire last Wednesday.

Recovery has been going well but I have had a build up of fluid. My BCN says it will all be reabsorbed over the next week or so, but they will check it tomorrow when I go back for results!

Hi

I had this swishing after my first WLE at end September, but sorted itself out. I needed a second op as no clear margins on 2 sides.

Second time around more swollen and bruised but thankfully no swishing.

I had low drade DCIS & due to size of it my age I started 3 weeks rads on 1/3/11. After being zapped tomorrow I’ll be a third of the way through week seems to have flown by I hope the next 2 do aswell.

Best wishes to you especially if waiting for results (the worst part for me).

Take care
Lynne

Hi

got results yesterday. Margin not clear on one side so need to have second op. Glad to hear you didn’t get the water-noise after the second, Lynne. Wound/scar looks very neat - such a shame it has to be opened up again.

They also discovered some invasive bits (cells?) so I’m going to have some sentinel nodes removed too. Then definitely radiotherapy.

The news didn’t affect me as much as the initial cancer diagnosis - think I knew there was going to be some more treatment, just didn’t expect the second operation.

Mary

Hi Mary

When they opened up my scar for the second op I was concerned as it had healed so well & very neat.

Concerned they would have to use old fashioned stitches rather than “glue” it like the first.

But they glued it second time appears same as the first time only a little longer for them to get to the margins they needed to.

Still very neat & tidy & even though 2 ops my surgeon was delighted with the cosmetic result.

Sorry to hear you have some invasive; I was fortunate only non-invasive. Radiotherpay is not too bad (at least end of week 1) ask me again in 2 to 3 weeks I may have a different answer. A bit sore in one place hopefully it won’t get worse but we’ll see how it goes.

Today & Monday off from rads but in work tomorrow, start second week on Tuesday. It’ll seem odd being in work for a whole day and not needing to go to the hospital.Amazing how quickly it seems to be a part of your daily routine.

Just slapped a load of aqueous all over left boob; even put some on the right one so it didn’t feel left out!

Take care
Lynne

I went for the results of my WLE and Sentinel Node Dissection on Monday. Good news on the WLE - low grade 1.6mm tumour with good clear margins. However, there was a microscopic trace of cell in one of the two removed sentinel nodes, called a micromet. Apparently until recently this would have still been considered as ‘node negative’ in the UK,but rules have recently changed and we now consider it ‘node positive’, unlike europe and the USA, where its still negative. Problem is I have to decide what to do about it. Stripping out the axilliary nodes is not on the Agenda as its total overtreatment and the risks of lymphodema are considerable. I can include my armpit in the radiation treatment I expect to start in a few weeks for my lumpectomy, but again it does increase the risk of lymphodema. Or I can do nothing about it - just have the radiotherapy to the breast. What does anyone think? Has anyone faced the same dilemma?

Went for the results of my further WLE and SNB last night. Clear margins and the nodes are clear too! hadn’t realised how much we’d been holding our breaths until got the news.

Next step is to meet with my oncologist with a view to RT and then tamoxifen.

Both scars look nice and neat, but my upper arm is very sensitive and the armpit is swollen. No glugging and sloshing this time though!