1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post surgery blues

62 REPLIES 62

Re: Post surgery blues

Hi Ladies, (previously posted in radiotherapy - revised)

Having been in the complete doledrums it helped to read 'the blues boob blog' - sounds like a good song title!!!

My recovery has been interrupted by the onset of an infection which put me back in hospital for 4 days. Came out yesterday after IV anti-biotics - continuing orally at home. They havn't been able to determine the site of infection but breast care team visited me everyday and are happy with wound - still waiting on skin swab results and an ECG. So am 1 week+ on from op but still in bed - but, going to finally get to have a hair wash!!! Starting to get dreads!

The infection presented as: day 2/3 generally feeling unwell; day 4 vomitting and high fever (this is the point where GP called ambulance). Had anti sickness injection before leaving for hospital; which thankfully worked. Once in hospital I had continuous headaches which were helped by IV paracetamol. Blood tests showed definate infection. Had chest xray - fine. Temperature continued to spike until IV anti biotics. Am slightly worried that, when treatment is finished it will all start again. Breast care team said that infection will 'look' for any weak points i.e. the op site so need to keep am eye on it.

So - I should be able to be feeling better by now but not happening!!! In the scheme of things I'm going in the right direction as I couldn't have typed this 3 days ago! Oh and I've started actually eating the chocolate that I'd been given as get well gifts (not like me to not want chocolate so definately improving!!)

Best wishes to you all, I hope things are improving for you. I wil definately be taking up radiotherapy can't be doing with all this again. And yes, thank goodness for regular mammograms it could have been a whole different story as I wouldn't have known. Follow up should be Friday but myhospital notes sy 2nd Dec. Will check.

X Jak60 virtual choc all round!

Thank you xx it's definitely a roller coaster ride isn't it xxx

Glad you are feeling better now. Enjoy your weekend x

Hi Cla 46. Hope you are having a better day today. I know how you feel about about thinking every little bump, lump etc is going to make you panic. I think most people who are dealing with bc are exactly the same. I know that I am. That and the constant thought of a recurrence which I am trying to put to the back of my mind. It's only when I come on here and read about other people's situations, it brings home that I'm not the only one having to deal with what's happened and I appreciate some are having a much tougher journey than me.i have just had my 12th rads out of 15 today and am looking forward to it finishing so I can try to begin to be more positive about the future. Hope everything goes well for you.

I've just got back from the hospital and I've had 10mls of seroma fluid removed and I've got a slight infection 😞 no wonder I felt rubbish yesterday. Have a lovely weekend everyone love and hugs xx

Sending a hug and an extra one for a better day tomorrow. Rotten days seem to come from nowhere and is why this Forum is so wonderful xxx

Having a bad day today everything seems to be going wrong! My scar is healing but it's a bit sore and itchy and I think I can see a lump by my nipple. I can't stop crying I'm fed up with having this take over my life. Every lump, bump, rash, pain or odd feeling is going to send me into panic forever! I don't know what medicine I can take along side tamoxifen it's all so unclear. I feel overwhelmed by what I should eat, drink or use on my body? Today is just to much 😞 sorry I just need to get it out and I feel my family / friends are fed up with me too. Thanks for being here xxx

Hi. Sadly wine doesn't like me now I'm menopausal (swell up, hot flushes etc etc), so I'm sticking with my friend gin! I lost my first reply but wanted to say I'm channelling my inner Anastacia to fight BC, so I had better root for her in Strictly. I think she's giving her fee to BC charity too. Just back from a break in the camper. After all the delicious food, I dare to put any chocolate in the fridge! Xxx

Hi everyone, strictly was fab but (and I do mean this seriously) I had a really bad reaction to my wine 🙁 I only had a little glass of my usual rose but I felt awful after I drank it, I started coughing had a really tight chest and generally felt unwell! I feel fine today . Has anyone else had any similar issues with drink or food ? I've had a really poor appetite since I was diagnosed and have to make myself eat but no reactions to anything until this ? I've only had surgery so far , rads / tamoxifen start in a few weeks. Xx

Hi Cla, hope you enjoyed strictly and your wine. I had call from hospital late this afternoon saying my first appt with onc will be next thurs 29th so we are around same time. I too have got to discuss rads & a drug, guessing tamoxifen so please tell me how you get on on Tuesday. I too am nervous about it but just think it's part of the road to recovery. I was out tonight but looking forward to catch up on double helping of strictly tomorrow, with a few chocs of course 🙂 night night sleep tight xx

Hi Helen, I was just thinking of you and wondering how you'd got on, that's really good news 😀It seems we're around the same time scale I've got my first oncology appointment on Tuesday to discuss rads and tamoxifen and I'm a little nervous about it all ! silly really . I love the chocolate fridge theory 😀 Everyone gets me flowers so I think I might need to start dropping a few hints. Have a lovely weekend everyone I'm going to have a small glass of wine tonight ,watch Strictly and toast us all on our next positive steps 🍷😘👣👣

Hi Janey , glad your appointment went well and got date to start your rads, I was thinking about you Wednesday . I was very happy to hear that my lymph nodes were ok so not got to have another op, hurray. Next step waiting to see oncologist and discuss rads...a friend bought me a lovely big box of my favourite choccies that she told me to put in fridge coz they last longer!!!......they make take longer to melt in the mouth but the box disappears just as quickly, fridge or no fridge 🙂 hugs to all xx

Thank you Rubycat - I shall look forward to that chocolate very much! Xx

Janey, managed to keep my paws off the chocs, so sending it off to you pronto.  So glad to hear that you're 'just' going down the rads & anastrozole route -  I'm a year on now!  After making you wait so long, you've now got to the next stage quickly. Hopefully it will all be a piece of cake, I'll look out for you if there's anything I can help with - and keep sending you chocs of course. Rubycat Cat Very Happyxxx

Thank you. I think it's been a mixed day waiting hugs to all xx

That's brilliant news 😀I'm so pleased for you 😘😘

Sending you all virtual chocolates today. My Oncotype score was 17 - huge relief and I will be starting rads on 3 October - 3 weeks and a booster week too. Helen hope you've had a good appointment. I went straight from oncologist to CT and planning. Big hugs and thank you for helping me get this far xx

Enjoyed with thanks Rubycat, what with the cake on another thread, I plan to wobble into the Oncology appointment tomorrow! Good luck to all tomorrow and next steps (and more chocolate!) x

Felt so bad at eating all the chocs that I got you ALL some more. Cat Very Happy  Just got to keep my paws off them.Cat Frustrated

Looks like a busy day for lots of you tomorrow, so sending you peaceful spaces filled with gentle hugs. Rubycat xxxCat Very Happy

Good luck with your results everyone 💗 I have everything crossed for you 😘 Xxx

Thanks Charys & Janey , might have to go to shop on way out to kids footie training tonight to buy some choccies in hopefulness of good news tomorrow 🙂 keep asking dear kids if they've got any goodies stashed away but sadly they havent. Choccie should be given on nhs dont you think, ha ha. Big hugs to all xx

Thanks Charys - I wish we could post pictures on here. I had a great card from a friend I'd share xx

Can't believe I missed your post Rubycat - especially one so wonderfully chocolate related- in fact I missed lots of threads - I'm so addled! Thank you all and Helen I shall think of you tomorrow too. One more sleep, a clean house, now where did I hide the maltesers ... big hugs to all xx
Charys
Community Champion

Helen and Janey, all the best for your appointments tomorrow. I'm hoping that you find a good positive way forward with your treatments x

Hi Janey, just want to wish you good luck for your appt tomorrow, I will be thinking of you. I also have an appt for my results tomorrow too so fingers crossed to both of us. Take care H xx

Oops Janey, I was about to go out into the garden too when I found this big box of chocs ...... still, they were really scrummy. I was just going to have one, then I had another, then I had to finish the row, then the other side of the box needed evening up - you don't get that many chocs in a box nowadays - somebody must have pinched some when I wasn't looking.Cat Tongue

Glad to hear your good news Cla, hope you all get good news soon. Cat Very Happy

Well done you, wine and bake off, perfect 🙂 when you get a date for your rads please let me know. Ive got to get results of this op next wed & then take it from there but hopefully next stop rads for me too.Take care Cla & sleep well xx

I did have a small glass of wine while watching British bake off 😉 My rads are due to start in October Helen as long as everything heals without any problems xxx

That's wonderful that you don't have to have any more surgery and you can now let your body heal before the next step of your recovery. Maybe have a glass or two of something nice tonight, or chocolate 🙂 as each positive result is something to celebrate. Thanks to threads on this site I feel ive got a better idea of what to expect with rads and am assuming that mine might start october sometime...wonder if we will be around same time? Also Janey i hope you feel a bit better today. The waiting in between appointments and results is bad enough without then having agony of them changing the goal posts .I will be wishing the week goes really really quickly so you get your appointment & hope your results are good. Big hugs to all xxx

Woohoo Cla. What a relief to not have to go under again. I hope you've all had good days. A day in the garden made me feel grounded again - well that and lunch out. Still waiting for choc to be handed over Rubycat! Xx

My results were really positive today I don't have to have any more surgery 🙂 I was so relieved it's like a huge weight has been lifted. I'll have 3 weeks of radiotherapy when I've healed and we're going to discuss tamoxifen when I get the histology results back. The consultant did warn me I'm at a high risk of it reacurring in the future but today I'm feeling better about things xx I really hope your results all good too Janey & Helen xxx

Morning ladies, yes the second surgery was to get a clear margin and now hoping wont need any more surgery (ax clearance) keeping everything crossed for that outcome. I've woken up to read your kind words and reassurance the stabby pains are normal and I will be ready for them if they dare return again during radiotherapy. Feeling my fighting spirit returning today and going to tell bc to clear off outa here. Thank you so much for the welcome and glad we have each other to talk to on this site. Xx

Thank you for kindness as always. A day I shall be ready to say goodbye to I think! Helen I hope you can miss no.3 and big hugs to you xx
Charys
Community Champion

Hello Helen,

Ah the shooty stabby pains, remember them well....probably it'll be even worse for you having had a second attempt at clear margins ( I am presuming that is the second surgery reason?). 'Welcome' to the site, and glad to see you've made your first post. Welcome in inverted commas because nobody wants to be here here, but it's a great place if you need to be here. I am really hoping that you aren't heading to a third surgery, and it's not dragged out even further for you. I'm not surprised you are feeling so teary after the second surgery, one is bad enough! Just to warn you that the shooty stabby pains might resolve, as the nerves repair themselves fom the trauma, but may return during some part of radiotherapy. This freaked me a bit, but I was told the RT really jangles those healing nerves and delays their final healing until after RT. 

X

Hi Cla46 and everyone else too. I'm new to this site but am finding it very helpful reading the posts and words of support and kindness . I also had second WLE last week plus a SNB too. I've started getting shooting stabbing pains and feeling very low, more so than after first op mid July and very teary but have to keep a brave face on for the kids. I'm nervously waiting results next week to see if I will need a 3rd op (hope not) and will then be waiting to hear about radiotherapy. Big hugs to everyone going through this x

I'm so sorry to hear that Janey it's another small dip in the roller coaster ride and hopefully you'll be heading upwards again soon , sending you love and huge hugs xx xx

Oh Janey, that's just pants. It's all we can do to gear ourselves up for any results and delays are AWFUL and FRUSTRATING.  I'd be up in bed now, with a dvd, chocs and cup of tea (hopefully made by someone else).  You are allowed to feel sorry for yourself, it is so hard to take. Sending you BIG BIG HUGS.

Post phone call blues for me. My Oncotest results aren't back and my appointment is cancelled tomorrow and rescheduled for next Weds. Even though I half expected the call (my journey a succession of delays and cancellations), it's left me pretty fed up xx

I'm looking forward to this being a blur and planted bulbs at the weekend, thinking they will hopefully be out after treatment has finished - whatever that looks like. I was diagnosed at the end of June and following two lots of surgery, infection, surgeon and oncologist holidays and waiting on Oncotype results, it will be this week when I finally know if it's chemo or straight to rads. Very anxious today, more that the results won't be back before tomorrow, as the whole family now feeling in limbo. Cla46 I shall be thinking of you too tomorrow and let's hope 14th is a good day! Xx

Hello Cla46, Yes I had 2nd wle weeks after first and it was a totally different experience.  With first, I felt fine straight away when I woke up, and seemed to only have mild pain (and that was more at underarm site & not the wle). 2nd time was a totally different experience.  Pain was a lot worse and much sharper shooting pains that took my breath away.  Some very sensible people on here explained exactly what an anaesthetic does to our bodies and having two so closely takes much more getting over (perhaps they can come back and explain it again, as I can't remember now Cat Sad)  Do let your family see how much you need them now, they will actually be glad that they can offer you not just practical but emotional support too.  Sometimes we need a good wail, I always think it's best to let it all out.  I'm now a year on, so looking back on that time, it's all quite a blur, but you will get through it all.  Wishing you all the best for your results on Weds - let us know how you get on.Cat Very Happy

Hi all, I had my second WLE last Monday only 3 weeks after the first and have really struggled emotionally this time in fact I spent all day crying on weds my husband was great but my children (who are all 20 +) have always seen me as a strong person who always make things right and now I can't . I can see how hard it is for them and it breaks my heart . I'm finding everything much harder to deal with this time the pain, the waiting for results and what's going to happen next. It's so great to be able to read that others feel the same and I don't feel that I'm being dramatic.I have a lovely support network of family and friends who try their best but like someone said earlier it's me who's got it not them . I've got my results day on Wednesday 14/9 so fingers crossed for no more surgery xxx Janey I love the idea of safe place to not feel fine xxxx

My chemo has been delayed for the second time today as my post op infection is still too bad to risk chemo on top. Ive only been on the right type of antibiotics for 3 days so it's not surprising I guess. I had to have surgery twice as the first margins weren't clear but it's now over a month. I'm very sore and uncomfortable and a bit fed up with hanging on the edge. Fighting the infection may be making me tired and a bit grumpy but I'm getting a bit stressed so taking the opportunity to moan a bit on this forum! its also hard to keep telling people no I haven't started chemo yet. I just want to heal and get going now with the dreaded chemo and get it over with. My family are struggling a bit with the situation too so I'm trying not to moan to them and my husband has enough to cope with as he has his own health problems. Thank goodness for this forum. X

Hi Sarah sorry to hear that you are feeling down.  It is a perfectly normal way to feel apparently.  You don't need anti depressants.  After the surgery there are all kinds of emotions. For several weeks I turned into someone who cried at the slightest thing (totally out of character!!!!).  Ring you Breast Care Nurse and have a chat with her.  Mine helped me so much, she explained about all the emotional stuff and understood exactly what I was feeling like.  Maybe a bit of time off work and lots of time resting would help. Just remember, you will feel normal again one day!!!!!!  Anne

Hi Janey2, 

Thank you all for helping to keep the Forum a friendly and supportive place 🙂 

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Definitely not pernickety. The same post has popped up on a few threads. This is such a great place to share honestly, it feels a (insert rude word) cheek to hijack and advertise. I hope everyone is doing ok. I'm still waiting for outcome of Oncotype test to see if chemo would help, but fingers crossed will be rads and tablets only. At risk of sounding like an advertiser myself this issue of Good Housekeeping has a couple of brilliant articles my partner found helpful xx

Thanks Janey.

I do find the 'advertising' posts irritating or am I just being too pernickety?

M x

Hi M. I've emailed the moderators, as this ad has popped up on a few threads.

Hi Marvin,
I think the moderators might delete your post because it is an advertisement which is against the Forum rules.
M x

Hi Aileen. I hope tomorrow a much better day and you sleep well tonight. I was worse after the 2nd WLE, even though the procedure was less invasive. Have a relaxing day tomorrow xx

Thank you to everyone who has written on this thread. I had my 2nd WLE on thursday and really struggled with my emotions today. I didn't seem to suffer like this in feb when i had the SN investigation on for my first

WLE 5 weeks ago but it makes sense now having read that it is harder to recover from anesthetic if you have 2 ops quite close together. Feel so sorry for my husband as he gets the worst of it! Hoping a good nights sleep tonight will put me in a better place emotionally tomorrow.

Aileen x