Post surgery bra

Is it advisable to wear a post surgery bra even after a lumpectomy or only after a mastectomy ?

HI, I think its whatever you’re going to find most comfortable - I didn’t wear any bra at first after my surgery (mx and implant recon on one side and WLE on the other) - just a strappy vest type top cos I couldn’t cope with anything pressing around the area, but then I’m small breasted so didn’t need much support; from about a week in I’ve worn soft crop top type bras. However, I remember after I had two VAB biopsies (which caused quite a bit of bruising and pain) a firmer sport type bra felt more comfortable and comforting. Maybe check with you BC nurse but go with whatever feels right for you. Peacocks do good crop top soft bras that you can step into or pull on over your head (useful if your arm is stiff after surgery) x

Thank you Lizred. I have a large bust so will need to wear something ! Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

Jintz. I was told to wear a.soft bra after my lumpectomy… I went to asdas and found one with no wires in at all. They said to wear one for comfy mainly as the amount of dressing they put on might cause back ache if you are a larger bust x I’ve found it to be a comfert really that I am.able to still wear one as after the biopsies wearing a bra felt uncomfty x

I wore Peacocks crop tips for a long while and then graduated to a Debenhams breast care one which I’m still wearing 5 months later.I bought an ordinary bra in a bigger size than I used to wear but I must still have swelling as after a couple of hours it causes indentations so I only wear it if I wanted a.better shape for an evening out.Maybe I’ll just stay this way now.

Hi Anniej,

That is very helpful thank you. I will get some. Something I found helped after my biopsies was to sleep with a pillow between my boobs so that the ‘top’ one was levelled out . It didn’t hurt as much.
Thanks again. J

I know this is a random question but hey ho.  I’ve had a left sided mastectomy and bought some mastectomy bras from M&S pre surgery. However on the right side they don’t seem to be a good fit cup size. So now I don’t know if my pre surgery size was incorrect or M&S bra sizing differs. Before I used to wear either Avon T-Shirt bras due to nipple piercings or New Look bras. Not sure how to check cup size after op.