Post surgery infection, open wound & Radiotherapy

Hi all,

I have been looking around the forum but not finding much on post surgery infection. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My mum had a small cancer removed start of july and was told it was the least aggresive type. She got a lumpectomy and 4 nodes out. She got post surgery infection a day or so later and was put on various antibiotics for several months, she eventually got an abcess which they had to operate on to remove. The surgeon left the wound open incase infection would set in again but it seems to be taking forever to close up, it’s been about 5 weeks now the wound was healing fine until last week when it opened up again and started seaping pus so thought infection was back. Anyway nurses have been great keeping an eye on it and it seems to be clean enough so they say, it was checked today at the hospital as she was to be seen by the Oncologist and they took a swab but my mum was concerned about this as they are saying it is clean so why are they taking a swab? Nurse said it was a precaution? So my mum seen the Oncologist today and although the wound is not closed over they say they are going to start the radiotherapy next week. Oncologist thinks it should be better again in a weeks time. I am pretty shocked they are going ahead with this just now as from reading what happens with soreness and other complications I just can’t see how this is going to be any good at the moment. They told her if there is complications they will stop the rads. Her surgery was beginning of july so that’s 4 months now, she was told she would get the rads within 12 weeks but the infection and abcess pushed it out. Has this happened to anyone else have you went over the 12wks for rads? Has anyone had the rads on a wound that has not healed properly? My mum did ask the doctors about how effective radiotherapy is after a period of time but they were vague about this. I am assuming they want to push ahead with it now but I am really concerned about this wound.

Please if you have had a similar experience or have any information on this I would be so grateful. Very worried.

thanks
Aimi x