Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Herceptin Heart Scan

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Pre Herceptin Heart Scan

I did not have any needles for my heart scan. I did for the CT scan - are you mixing them up?

An Echo scan does not hurt and takes about 15 minutes. It is like having an ultra sound of your heart, they put some jelly on a tool and run it all over the heart area and under your chin. You have to lie on your left side, then your back and then your right side.

The ECG is painless too, they just put some sticky pads on you and ask you to keep still. That lasts for about 3 mins.

The CT scan is where you have to drink a jug of fluid an hour before and then have a canula (mine was in the elbow) fitted. That is sharp but quick, you have a practise run of holding your breath when the machine tells you to. If that goes well they inject something via the canula and you do it all again. You feel a warm sensation down below as if you have wet yourself but you have not. That's it. I was asked not to eat for 4 hours and to drink black tea/coffee.

Highlighted

Re: Pre Herceptin Heart Scan

Hi Helen. How did you get on with your heart scan today? I hope it wasn't too stressful for you. I had an ECG and Echocardiogram before my first Herceptin, and then regular Echos throughout. No needles involved in those - what type of scan did you have? Xx

Highlighted

Pre Herceptin Heart Scan

Evening ladies. I have my pre herceptin heart scan tomorrow and to say I am terrified is an understatement. I have a horrendous needle phobia so dreading the injection but also told I can't eat before and only had chemo last week so still struggling with nausea and trying to eat little and often.

Can anyone tell me what happens at the scan? Does it hurt? How long does it take? When can I eat?

Thanks Helen x