Pre assessment

Was diagnosed with DCIS on 4th April off to the hospital on Tues for my pre assessment I know what to expect it’s just that since I was dx I’ve managed pretty much to put it to the back of my mind now it’s right up there again niggling and worrying me having nightmares about hospitals and ops and all sorts of weird **** with the op on the 8th may I’m now going to have to re confront all the worries I’ve tried so hard to forget feel like I’m going slightly mad!! Feels better writing it down thanks for listening!!

I think putting things to the back of your mind works quite well as a means of keeping worries at bay. Certainly works for me! We all have different ways of coping - and we all get through this one way or another. You will be OK for your op. Sending you a big virtual hug.
Margaret X

Hi Loobyb
i have been doing a good job of avoiding the dread. I had my routine mammo the Wednesday before Easter and they ended up doing a close up one when they saw some calcifications. I had DCIS 4 years ago so I knew what it was they were looking at. i was due to go on holiday on 17th April so the hospital arranged for a biopsy to confirm suspicions - which, needless to say, was confirmed. I had radiotherapy last time so it’s not an option this time as the DCIS is in the same breast.
my consultant had no problem with me going on holiday as they wouldn’t have operated within 3 weeks of the biopsy anyway. I took a call from the surgeons secretary whilst I was at the departure lounge and we made the appointment for tomorrow to see him with a view of the mastectomy and reconstruction on 8th or 15th May.
i have tried to avoid thinking about it whilst on holiday and didn’t do too bad as we tried to pack a lot in. My worst times were trying to get off to sleep or as soon as I woke up - it seemed that the worries were there waiting for me when I had no distractions.
i find out tomorrow which date they are going to settle on - I do hope it is the 8th (same as yours) as the prospect of going to work and trying to do ‘normal’ mundane things for any length of time is even more disconcerting. Now I know it has to happen I just want to get on with it so I can get past it.
i am winding myself up with all the ‘what ifs’ so I guess that’s normal.
my family are good but my daughter is 7 months pregnant and has a 4 year old so I really don’t want to have her worrying about me.
nothing to distract me now so just trying to get through as best I can.
Duffer

Hi Loobyb and Duffer56
Keeping busy before the op date worked for me, in fact I worked until 4pm and was admitted at 8pm ready for my op at 7.50am the next morning. Most people I worked with didn’t know I had anything on my mind as I managed to ‘compartmentalise’ normality and the BC so when at work it was normality and even then at home I rarely thought about it as I decided I couldn’t change it and just have to deal with the op and then the treatments…I’m now 5.5 weeks post mx and had my first cycle of chemo. My advise would be keep as busy as you can with normal life, tire yourself out so you sleep at night and go to the op with a positive frame of mind that the doctors/surgeons are going to sort it out…that was my frame of mind and still is and I’m hoping that will get me through it all! :slight_smile:
Kate
x

Hi loobbyb.
Sorry to find yourself here. Good luck for Tuesday x

Thank you all for the lovely comments and Duffer56 hope all goes well for you and it’s the 8th too sooner rather than later my daughter in law is due to give birth at the end of July to our second grandchild a little girl so we seem to have something else in common not only this dreaded disease!! I’m off on sick leave at the moment I admire you katebil I was unable to tolerate working too stressed so cleaning like demon at home strangely I have no trouble getting to sleep I do wake in the early hours tho and often up at 4.30am drinking tea and watching re runs of Jeremy kyle!! Ok so I’m not perfect it’s my guilty secret many thanks ladies you are special girls!!! Thank you Melrose 15 for your good wishes :))

Breast clinic phoned this pm pre op assessment cancelled for tomorrow because they have not got the capacity to do so Wtf does that mean? Rescheduled for the1st may still have to see bc nurse though am intrigued will have to ask what they meant watch this space!!!