Pregnancy

My onc told me I would get my periods back and after 2 years on Tamoxifen will be able to have a baby, I have a little over a year to go and I am now having regular periods again, but my gp said just because I am having my periods that does not mean I can get pregnant is this true has anyone had a baby after bc
Please help all confused :frowning: xx

Sorry no- one has replied. I know that women have had babies after bc- I have one son and nearly 3 years post dx definitely want another except OH has changed his mind! Periods do not mean you can def get pregnant but its a good sign and I would say hang on to that. I had extensive chats to my surgeon and onc about risks and stuff and they were happy for me to try.

Gpā€™s are fine for some things but go see your team if you need more answers.

Good luck

sam

Hi fishmum

You might find this information on the site helpful

beta.breastcancercare.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.442

or you can always phone our helpline on 0808 800 6000. It is a free and confidential service, open Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm Saturday, 9am - 2pm
They are able to offer information and support on any aspect of breast cancer or breast health.

Hope this helps

Ann

Hi there

Hope you donā€™t mind but I might have some info to add that might help?

Apart from being a cancer fighter survivor at 26!!! I am also a midwife, so from my knowledge of menstrual cycles etc and the fact that I had eggs harvested prior to starting chemo, I might have a bit of knowledge re your issues. As far as I remember, day 1 of your cycle is the first day of your cycle and you ovulate 10 - 14 days after that. A good sign that youā€™re ovulating is your ā€œmucusā€ down below becomes more stringy to aid the sperm swimming to the egg. Then, if you donā€™t concieve you have a period whicj is triggered by your unferilised egg and the excess lining of the womb (which grows throughout this time for the fertilised egg to implant into) coming away is the resulting period. So I would be surprised if you wasnā€™t releasing eggs (ovulating) because of all that going on inside.

I finished my chemo 3 months ago and had a TINY period on 08/10/2008 then had ovulation signs as I mentioned so hoping Iā€™ll get a period again soon. Can you remember how long it took for your periods to get regular? Iā€™m just keeping my fingers crossed because Iā€™d like a family in the future.

Hope this helps.

Kate x x x

Dear fishmum

I didnā€™t have time to harvest egg before starting my treatment but I did have blood tests and internal scans to check my hormone levels, egg production etc and all was normal. Six months after my treatment finished my periods returned and a year after the first lot of blood tests and scans, I had the same again which showed that things were looking good and my hormone levels were satisfactory and I was producing follicles. Have you asked about blood tests to check your hormone levels? Having periods is agood sign, but itā€™s the whole picture which is most important.
Good luck
Ruby xx

Hi

For some reason, I missed this thread too!

I have posted my story in ā€˜Babies after chemoā€™ thread (Younger Women) - Iā€™m afraid its not a good one, but there to read if you wish.

My advice would be to push for Bone/MRI/CT before ā€˜tryingā€™ - I really wish that Iā€™d have done this.

Take care

Anne xx

hi fishmum, just to let you know I had bc at age of 39 was on tamoxifen for four years and had a pregnancy at age 44, breast fed on the good breast that was in 1994, I have had a reccurence this year and just finished chemo after mastectomy, but tamoxifen certainly dident have any effect on me, they actually use it as a fertility drug, I believe you take it day 7 of your cycle and it stimulates egg production then you stop taking it, good luck with your plans love suzan x

hi everyone thanks for your help I went to my gp for a blood test as my bc nurse said to go through him and all he said was that result was normal for someone on tamoxifen, my periods periods started 4 months after my treatment finished and took about 6 months to become regular thnak god coz those hot flushes were a pain in the bum lol

Thanks once again
Elaine xx

Please Help!! Ive been diagnosed with BC about 10 days agoā€¦ I was cent to see a fertility doctor about freezing some embryos today and he said i wouldnt be eligable for NHS funding for IVF as I already have a babyā€¦ Shes 2 and im only 28ā€¦ I know some dont have any children but the thought of NEVER having a baby again is more upsetting than the whole cancer thingā€¦ Its gonna cost me ƂĀ£3000 to have BREAST CANCER and I cant afford it! Im devestatedā€¦ If anyone knows of any funding or any sucess stories of pregnancy after chemo iā€™m or any loopholes in the laws of IVF i would LOVE to hear from youā€¦ Good luck to you all x x x

Hi Julia,

I think you need to give the helpline here a call and have a chat about your situation with one of the nurses, the lines are closed now for today but open again in the morning at 9am until 5pm, calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000.

Hope this helps. Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi fishmum & Julia

I was 37 when diagnosed with primary bc. Weā€™d been married a year and had just decided that NOW was the right time to start trying! What timing. Cancer was too aggressive for egg harvesting (or whatever) so I went into chemo knowing it might make me infertile. I kept my periods all the way through though which was a good sign. I opted not to take tamoxifen afterwards as I wanted to try for a baby as soon as possible. After a year I got pregnant but unfortunately miscarried and after another year I got pregnant again and this time all was well. My daughter is now nearly two and everything would be wonderful but for the fact that I was diagnosed with secondaries inJune this year.

Despite that I wouldnā€™t change a thing. If you really want to get pregnant again after all treatments I would say go for it and best of luck. One thing I found really helpful was an ovulation testing kit (you can buy these cheap on the internet).

Best wishes.
Alison

Just adding to my post.

We did think long and hard about whether to go for a baby or not, given the possible future and risk of secondaries. But we felt that you have to live in the here and now. Whatā€™s worse - to have a baby and then develop secondaries and risk leaving that baby motherless at a young age? Or deciding against having children even though you really want them, and then reaching a ripe old age with no recurrence of cancer ā€¦ so that if only youā€™d known you could have had children after all? No easy answers there I know and everyoneā€™s answer will be different. I feel desperately sad knowing what my husband and daughter will have to face, but do feel that we made the right decision for us. And my daughter was conceived three years post primary bc with no suspicion of secondaries.

Alison