Pregnant and Needing Surgery

Hi everyone! Although I am not ecstatic to be here, I am so happy to find a place to talk to women who have experienced what I am going through. I am 31 years old and 10 weeks pregnant with my 4th baby. (Surprise baby!) The excitement of hearing the little heart beat was overshadowed by my doctors concern of a 2.5 cm lump on my right breast. After seeming a radiologist and a surgeon it was decided to do a removal of this mass. We are waiting until I am in my 2nd trimester. I am wondering if anyone has done this surgery with just a local anesthesia, so I can avoid getting extra medication in my baby? I am not going to lie, I am scared. I have been crying when my kids go to bed and trying to function normally throughout the day. (With lots of morning sickness!) I am feeling discouraged and nervous. I would love to hear from some of you! Thanks for letting me rant and rave. ???
~Linds

Hi lindserlu

Welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read you’re having such a tough time.  Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences and support you might find it useful to have a look at the BCC publication ‘diagnosed breast cancer during pregnancy’. If you would like to order a copy or read this on line just follow the link below:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-during-pregnancy-bcc25

Also if you need additional support do give the helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can talk through your concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information.

Lines are open week days 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Lindeserlu, I am so very sorry to  hear about your diagnosis especially when you are pregnant with three other children.  You must be very worried.  However the medical team you are with will make sure that your baby is safe.  So concentrate on that thought while you go through surgery.  Find a close friend or family member who you can confide in and who you can relate your fears to.  Remember there is light at the end of the tunnel and there are a lot of success stories out there.  Kindest regards and I will keep you in my thougths.

Really sorry to welcome you to this forum - but it is a great support. There was someone on my Chemo group - Starting Chemo in May 2012 who had just had a baby. If you find our posts through the Monthly chemo threads and scroll back you will see who it is. You could always PM her if you wanted more advice but I am sure others will be along soon to help you out.

Take care

K M x

Hi Linds, sorry to see no-one has answered your specific issues yet.  If you have a look under ‘Talk to people like me’ and the ‘Younger women’ section, it might be worth putting a duplicate post there.  I have seen some discussions on pregnancy, but there is so much on here it is sometimes difficult to go aback and find it!  Good luck.

Hi, so sorry to hear of your predicament. I was 8m pregnant when diagnosed in Feb this year. luckily I was able to bring forward the birth as I didn’t want to start chemo whilst preg. I am no expert on your options but in your position would be keen undergo surgery and I just wanted to highlight that prior to chemo I had to have a minor surgery to insert a portacath, this was done under a local with additional sedation. The sedation wasn’t brilliant for me but I’m am a bit odd and always need extra local etc. I would ask for info on stronger sedation from your team. All the best. Xx