Preparation for op

Can anyone advice on the best things to prepare your body for the op I.e vitamins etc. I’m currently having a protein drink every day as heard that can help with healing and also a fruit smoothie. Other than that I don’t know what to do to help prepare my body for the best recovery. Thanks

Hi Melia, don’t know about prep for the op, but my consultant advised a balanced, healthy diet . I then checked out this forum, there is a past thread on nutrition, so I went on that. If you are ER +ve it makes sense to reduce anything with oestrogen in it until the cancer is kicked into touch. So stuff like milk, soya, soft cheese. 

Also go free range for any meat products as cattle and poultry are fed on feed which contains hormones. Lots of white fish, but not farmed. Hormone feed again. Processed meat is also a bit suspect, so I’ve laid off the bacon butties for the time being!

The Macmillan centre where I am has a ton of books on nutrition for BC. Obviously if you are having chemo then the diet will go out of the window and you just need to eat when and whatever you fancy - paraphrasing the nutritionist at Maggies. 

Hope this helps. Good luck with the op. Let’s know how you get on. X

Thanks Annie I’m a vegetarian so eat no meat that’s why I’m a little concerned with my lack of protein. But I am a complete cheese fiend! Why are hormones pumped into everything Anyway. It’s pretty sickening really x