Primary BC in both breasts

Hi,
I have just been diagnosed with a primary BC in my L breast which is 9 years after having a primary BC in my R breast.
In 2003 I had a partial mastectomy, axillary clearance with mini flap reconstruction, 7 months of chemo & 6 weeks of RT.
The new BC is the same size & type as before but as in a different area & because my L breast is larger than the R one they are going to do a wide local excision, with axillary clearance, & make it the same size as my R reconstructed breast. It appears I will also have to go through chemo & RT again!
Has anyone else gone through a similar process?
I am 68 years old & my mother died in 1982 after having BC in her L breast then BC in her R breast 7 years later, so it is possible I am carrying the BRCA gene & have been referred for testing.
I am thinking positively as had a CT scan to make sure nothing suspicious in other parts of my body & all was clear thank goodness.

Hi lizzy, I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with a new primary, and having to go through it all again. I hope all goes well for you, and I am happy to hear your ct scan was clear everywhere else. You will find there are a number of other ladies here who have to deal with a second primary. I am one of them. I have recently had a second mastectomy and radiotherapy. I was spared chemo, as I have had that within the last 18 months for my first BC.
I too had my second breast reconstructed - at the same time as my mastectomy - and a good thing is that at least now they are much better matching :slight_smile: just trying to keep seeing the bright side here.
Wishing you the very best

Hi Lizzy welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry to read about your new diagnosis, in addition to the support here our helpliners are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 to offer you further support and information.

BCC have published a factsheet about breast cancer in families which you may find useful so I have posted the link here:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-families-bcc32

Take care

Lucy

Bizzy Lizzzy, I know of a younger lady on here who has had similar results to you. I wil point out this thread to her and hopefully she wil reply soon. I am sorry that you have had this to deal with. Not been there myself but I do have bone mets which were diagnosed 10 years after primary. A different Kettle of fish I know. But will go on to her page and let her know about your post. Val

Just sending you positive thoughts and support bizzy lizzy,
I was diagnosed with a ‘new’ breast cancer’ this Feb (first diagnosis in 2009) after risk-reducing bilateral mastectomies which I decided to have following brca1 diagnosis (2011).
It was a bitter blow. Like you, cancer same features. Still quite hard to believe.
I have just had third chemo. Not yet clear whether I will have RT.
Rattles, x

Rattles,
i had double mast last august as i had brca 1 gene and sequence changes in brca2.How did they find youve got it again and what tests do you have when youve had mastectomies?Im so sorry youve been dianosed again,it must have come as a complete shock,im quite shocked just reading your post.Hope youre coping okay,best wishes to you,
Di.x

Hi dib,
I assume after you have had the mastectomies there is minimal risk. What happened to me was that when the tissue of my (so called) good breast was biopsied, a 1.5 cm tumour was found- this was depsite two MRI scans, mammogram and 2 ultrasounds all in 6 months!!
Unfortuntately, I then had to have a complete mastectomy on what was the ‘bad side’ (hard to keep up?!!!) due to inflammation and swelling caused by radiotherapy when originally treated in 2009 - at that point I didnt know about my family history or brca1.
Hopefully, this will reassure you and anyone reading this that once you have had mastectomies, risk drops significantly and I did not get diagnosed following mastectomies- sorry for being unclear!
Rattles, xx

Hi to you all!
I go in on Wednesday for a breast reduction & reconstruction of my own breast tissue to match my R breast, will have axillary clearance as they know it’s in 2 nodes & are suspicious of the 3rd. So then chemo & RT. I was told today that the chemo would be different so as not to be a strain on my heart after last time.
I wish all you ladies well & will speak again after my op.
Sandie xxx

Hi Rattles,i know there is still some risk of reccurrance but wondered how they keep a check on you after mx.I will ask when i go again on 18th,its such a roller coaster ride isnt it.Ive heard a few accounts now of scans not being all that reliable,or is it the people who have to decipher the results?Bizzylizzy good luck on wed,will be thinking of you,
Di.x

Dib I had bilateral mastectomy because of different primaries in each breast only mine were discovered at the same time. I had lobular and ductal but no lymph node spread. My yearly check up in May was just a physical examination.

hi bizzylizzy

i also had two primaries… i had a hormone pos grade 1 in the right in 2006 and then hormone neg grade 3 in 2009, then a recurrence of grade 3 in my interpectoral lymph nodes and chest muscle last year… found out i was a brca 2 carrier between no 2 and no 3 in jan 2010.

iv not had mastectomies but may do in the future… got my annual breast mri next month.

for those who had mastectomy the usual follow up is annual breast examination for 5 years

Lulu x

thanx ladies for your replies,i would have thought a ct or mri scan yearly would be a better check,especially when you consider the prescence of brca 1 and/or 2.Im going to request scans anyway and see what they say,it would put your mind at rest much more than an examination.
Di.x

Dib unfortunately the scans are not to put our minds at rest but to detect cancer… They tend not to scan just to make us feel better particularly where the risk is lower than that of the general population who only have mammos every 3 years.
However if you have concerns then they will normally check anything your worried about… So get to know what your breasts feel like now so that if something new develops you will notice it :slight_smile:

Dear Rattles,
So sorry for you to have to go through all this it isn’t at all fair, particularly after having bilateral mastectomies & all those scans. Makes me wonder what is out there that we can be confidentl will detect tumours?
Good wishes & change of luck to you & all sufferers out there.
Sandie x

HI HAVE NOT BEEN ON FOR A FEW WEEKS,I HAVE GOT MY HEAD ROUND THIS NOW AND KNOW I HAV E TO GET ON WITH IT ,HAD A FEW PROMBLES AFTER THE OP BUT THINGS SEEM TO BE GOING OK NOW,I HAVE STARTED ON ANASTROZOLA HOPE THE SIDE EFFECT WILL NOT BE AS BAD AS TAMOXFEN.I AM A BIT WORRID ABOUT THIS BONE SCANS WHICH I AM HAVEING ON TUESDAY THEY SAID I AM HAVEING IT BECAUSE OF THE ANASTROZOLA IT DOES SOMETHING TO THE BONE,IT JUST WORRYS ME ALL THE TIME ALL THESE TEST.I SEEM TO BE WAITING SO LONG TO HAVE THE RADS I JUST WANT TO GET THIS OVER AND TRY TO GET ON,I AM FINDING IT MUCH HARDER THIS TIME,TAKE CARE SHARON

Hi sharon, THe Anastrazol does not affect the bones that quickly but if they don´t know waht your bones are like now they won´t know waht effect it might be having…it is all the tests that make this so stressful as you always trhink the worst .- I am waiting on full results from lung scan, bone scan and colonoscopy where they did a biopsy, but I don´t think and did not get the impressions there is anything untoward in any of the tests…they will wait for you to be healed enough before starting rads as otherwise it can re-open the scar etc - we might be having rads at the same time as mine will start some time in August…have the appt with consultant Rad person in first half of aug…
Its a horrid time, but we are still here and living life

Had my post op check with consultant yesterday. The cancer is same as last time ER pos but stage 3 rather than 2. The tumour was 6cm this time, last time 2.5, with both I had lymph node involvement 2-3 so have had full clearance on both sides. My CT scan they say was clear but although had this before my op it didn’t seem to give them the full scale of how vast the cancer was in my left breast. Also the mammogram I had 2 weeks previous, which was the new digital screening, only showed some cell changes again nothing like the scale of cancer I had. My consultant went through all my treatment & again mentioned regular mammograms after treatment & I said what is the point as no mammogram has ever detected my tumours? that was when I was shown the digital result which she said if had been routine I would have been recalled & probably referred, however the fact was that although I was being screened because I found a lump the radiologist reported no lump detected! I find this all confusing & also wonder if I should trust the CT scan???
My tumour evidently had originated in the lower fatty part of my breast & had grown upwards past the nipple that is why a lump was not detected until very recently & by then painful. They had to take numerous amounts to clear the margins & the consultant did note on his report a ‘possible re surgery for full mastectomy’ however, as final results proved the last margins as clear this was not recommended as necessary, I am still wondering if it would be best?
Think I am dealing with this in some ways better than 1st time round I am also wondering if the right decisions are being made, so all just as scary!

Hi Lizzy,
I just wanted to offer support as you deal with this new information. As you already know, I had the experience of scans not being as accurate as I had thought. I guess they need the actual tissue to really know what is going on at a cellular level. As disappointing as the news must be, thank goodness you noticed the lump and acted quickly.
My first tumour was 5cms at its widest. Like you I had lymph clearance both sides. Mine were triple negative and with the lymph involvement, the main treatment on offer has always been chemo. I really did not think I could cope again, and yes its been hard, but I have just had cycle 4.
It sounds like you are still taking in this new information and you might decide you want to go back/ring the Breast Care Nurses to talk this all through again and get it clear in your mind. I strongly believe that we need to go with our gut instincts but it takes time to work this out.
Take good care, Rattles x

oops

Have seen my oncologist today and having Hickman line put in possibly next week, (as had axillary clearance on both sides no arm left for canula) then chemo start on 16th August. I’m to have Taxotere 4-6 cycles & it frightens me to death all the effects he listed! I also have an infection on my breast & on strong ab’s plus having to have fluid taken every other day so hope this clears up before the 16th.
Even though been through this before I feel absolutely terrified, just wish I could calm down & take it in my stride but I can’t seem to at the moment. They say I will have MRI scans in future as this time round my cancer was so much worse & missed by all mammograms & checks.