Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy and Peoples profiles

10 REPLIES 10
HelenL_BCC

Re: Privacy and Peoples profiles

Hi marial

I'm really sorry you've not had a response yet - if you email moderator@breastcancercare.org.uk with your choice of user name we'll get that changed for you today.

Apologies again,

Helen

marial

Bump, hoping to get an answer abut changing my forum name.

marial

Thank you for all your replies, I am still struggling, becuse I am not very good at internet speak.

I liked to be albe to see peoples profiles, but I can't any more.

I liked the lastest posts in it's 2010 version.

I find it strange that triple neg is in the Recently Diagnosed, does that mean we are not meant to last very long ? lol.

Can I change my user name ?

Anna_BCC

Thank you Revcat and everyone for your help in explaining the privacy options.  Just to allay any outstanding fears here is how the privacy default has been set  on the forum.

Firstly this is an open forum, so that anyone can read and access information whether registered or not and this is specifically why we strongly urge users to not register with their own names as their username.  By using an unidentifiable username on the forum, regardless of how people may google you, nothing will show up.  The privacy default has been set at ‘no one’ which means no one can see any of your information even if logged in unless you choose otherwise.  To change what you would like people to see, going to your own personal settings and under privacy you can choose who can see what.

Please refer to our 'How to get started' http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/How-to-get-started/How-to-get-started/m-p/754402#U754402 or let us know if you are still experiencing any difficulties. The Breast Cancer Care forum is a safe space to share information and support and we always do our utmost to maintain this. 

Thank you for your feedback

Best wishes

Anna

Forum Coordinator

RevCat

Hi MariaL,

I just googled you and I can't see any profile information at all  whether I am logged in here or not (we can see our own if we are logged in, at least, I can see mine).

If you go to the 'preferences' tab and then the 'privacy' menu you can set everythign to 'no-one' which will maximise your privacy.

Hope that helps?

marial

I just googled my user name and bcc forums and I could read my biographies and all the threads I posted on. If anyone can do this, I don't feel safe. So I won't be sharing much with anyone. I have one member of my family who takes great glee in stalking members of the family. no THANKS

Revcat I could only see a list of your posts, no description.

RevCat

Hi again MariaL,

Have you tried clicking my profile?  I have filled in some biogrpahical stuff so if it is 'public and searchable' you shold be able to see it (should be above the threads I've commented on).

I should note I have all my privacy setttings as 'no-one' so if you can't see it, then maybe that overrides the 'always public'?

EDIT - I logged out and searched for myself.... no biographical info showed up, so it would appear not to be public (which is fine by me!  happy for other logged in folk to see it but not really wanting random searches landing on it).

marial

Thank you for your replies, but when I click on the explaination, the info I get is:

Tell us about yourself. You can include any information you'd like to share with other community members on your profile page. This information is always public and searchable.

So what does this mean ?

Also, no one has told me why I can't see anyone's profiles, all I can see is the threads they have posted on.

It is certainly not easy to get to used to for me. 

Maria

HelenL_BCC

Hi marial

RevCat is indeed right - you can manage your privacy settings in 'My Profile'. The options for profile visibility are 'Friends' or 'No one', so only friends can view your details. This is to ensure our forum users' details are as secure as possible. 

I hope that helps  Woman Happy

RevCat

Hi MariaL with the new forum people have to fill their biography stuff afresh (this was also true last time if I recall correctly).  I think biography stuff is public.

If you go to 'my profile' then the 'preferences' tab and then 'privacy' you can select who can see what.  There are currently a few glitches (seem to be browser related) with that, but Jo(e) Public can't see the majority of stuff about you.

marial

Privacy and Peoples profiles

How do I read someone's profile ? and how do I know what others can see of mine ? How much privacy is there to those who do not belong to the forums ? Can people read posts or profiles  by googling ?

Enough questions for one thread !

I've not got used to these new forums yet, I think they were made for the young, internet savvy people, and that's not me (and I'm not 60 yet):womanembarrassed: