Problems with sutures after surgery for mastopexy

Hello

I had a mastectomy in July 2015 following by three fat filling ops to create a new breast.  The last op in August 2016 I also had a mastopexy op on the “good” breast to level up with the reconstructed one.  I am having a problem with the vertical scar which is not losing its redness and has small bumps under the skin.  It has also started itching quite badly four months after the operation.  

I saw another surgeon this week to query this and was told it looks like the sutures are not dissolving and my body is rejecting them.  He suggested rubbing on ibuprofen gel to see if it reduces the inflammation for a couple of weeks.   So far there are no stitches coming through the skin or any broken skin.  

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether the sutures will dissolve eventually…

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone with whatever stage you’re at.  

Julia

Hi Julia,

I am sorry to hear that you’ve been having issues with post-surgery scars.and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through the questions you have about this issue and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita