Profiles: should we be cautious?

Sorry folks, but I do feel a bit uneasy posting my profile for all to see / Google etc. Is it me or… does anyone else feel that way?

I agree! already changed my user name on this site due to worry of google.

Jackie

As long as I dont post my full name address or e-mail details I dont see how posting a profile on this site is any different from any other post.Can you explain the worries please.Love Val

Yes, I agree. When/if the BCC profile facility is reinstated, proper profile details will only be visible to people registered with the site and not to others.

Margaret

1. I have secondary bc and I don’t want to worry others with my medical history;
  2. Actually I don’t want the general public to be able to read my profile even if it doesn’t include my real name or email address. Breast cancer is quite a personal matter and though I am very willing to talk about the disease and how if affects me, on a person-to-person basis, we are often being reminded how unsafe the Internet can be.
    I really don’t want to stir up trouble but it is a concern for me.

I am always careful about the details I share…and very aware this is www. Haven’t had my fingers burnt yet. I agree with Horace that posting a profile not much different from other posts. I never name other people in my life though. We all do what we feel comfortable with.

Jane

Hi all

I may be a little backwards in technology so I will ask. I gather profiles used to be used. What would stop anyone making up a profile or joining this site just for information and reading what folks have to say?
When I registered I can’t remember having to give any details that proved I was being treated for BC. Would profiling be compulsory? - sorry if this info has been on other threads I just haven’t read them.
Cheers
Carol

Hi Carol,

Personally I would like to see a warning right here - just above the box we type our messages in - reminding people that all posts can be googled, or that anyone can read the posts here whether a member of the forums or not. I know that when people join that warning is made - but at that stage how many take notice of it, or realise the implications. There are some strange people out there - I certainly know of some who invent a disease and get involved on forums - we call them cybermunchies! But that’s the internet for you. It is also a fact that some members have had friends & family ‘stalking’ their posts here. That is why we are asked not to use our real names that can identify us. Even so - some of the facts we reveal make it fairly easy to work out who we are if someone is determined. That wouldn’t bother a lot of us - but some it might.

On the old forums Carol it was never compulsory to provide a profile but it was helpful when you replied to someone to know a bit of where they were coming from.

Dawnhc

Hi Dawn,

Thank you that information was very helpful, it never occurred to me about the ‘google’

Carol

Yes, we need profiles that are unseen by all and sundry via Google.

A few hasty people yesterday started a thread and put their data in there and that will be able to be seen by anyone Googling. Perhaps it has been removed, I hope so just to protect people.

I wasn’t on the site when the old profiles were available but presumably they were formatted in some way and only available to members.

Even then, people can sign up as members and not necessarily be bona fide but that’s a risk we all take on here every day.

D

I used to find the profiles really useful when replying to a post, they were only available to those registered and signed in, I think whatever website you use there will always cybermunchies (never heard that phrase before but quite like it) and attention seekers.

I haven’t told my friends or family about using this site so very doubtful they are stalking my posts however would be mad as hell if they were and they would know it. I never use names of my family or even my town, but dare say if someone who knew me read some of my posts it wouldn’t be hard to guess my identification.

Debbie

I’m assuming the comment about ‘a few hasty people’ refers to the thread where members of the forum have introduced themselves and their bc situation?

If so, then I am one of those people and I don’t feel at all threatened by what I wrote! And I did not write my entry in haste!! Can’t see that anyone wrote anything that might cause problems. Think we are all grown-up, responsible adults who can type whatever they like! I am not unaware of ‘googling’, but refuse to live my life worrying about stuff like that. I thought it was nice to get to know others and see how different we all are within this terrible umbrella of breast cancer.

Sorry to have to post this – I am not one to get bothered about what’s posted on here, but I was a bit narked over that comment!!

Jacki

Hi
I havent yet put my details on the forum for our profiles, maybe i wont.
the question i would like to ask is Why has it taken so long for our profiles to be available? I know BCC have been promising us this for about a year now.

Our safety online is very important but quite honestly there are probably only a few weirdo’s who would be interested in our BC details. We don’t give our names or addresses etc. When we buy anything or pay by credit card as i am sure alot of us do there is more danger of our details being seen and used.

Rx

i think that BCC is in the process of updating the site so hopefully if we want to put our profiles on then that will be an option.
Alisonxxx

Agree with bunnymum…I don’t like being patronised as ‘one of those few hasty people.’ Haven’t included anything on my profile that I don’t often post about.

It would be much better if BCC could sort out the profiles…easier to find than going through a list but with 10,000 users there could still be those cybermunchies about (not that I’ve ever met them in 4 years here…guess there are more exciting sites for cybermunchies to invade.)

Jane

Sorry, folks! I did not intend to stir up trouble. Didn’t want to get cybermunched, nor to upset those with different diag/prognosis, didn’t want to be thought of as someone who refuses to be open about my type of bc/treatment/location… seems I can’t get it right…

Hi Mrsblue, you don’t have to say sorry, we;re all entitled to our opinions, thats what this is all about so you are getting it right
Alisonxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jane et al

I certainly didn’t mean to be patronising, I was genuinely concerned for people’s privacy. I am paranoid about my own and unfortunately one or two trusted (no longer) neighbours felt it was fine to compromise my privacy and trample all over my feelings. I don’t want anyone to go through that; it set me back for months.

Best wishes
D

Hi Dahlia

Thanks for that. I probably pressed the submit button a bit hastily!

best wishes

Jane

I went back and edited out some of the details I posted on the new profiles thread but I knew what I was doing and dont feel worried at all now.As Jane said there is nothing there that I havent posted before.