13 REPLIES 13
Chaze

Re: Prosthetic nipples

How did it turn out? I'm hoping to get this done at the Royal too
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Wilson

I'm having mine done under local anaesthetic as a day case at Glasgow Royal - it was the PS who offered it up at the very begining when discussing the implant procedure. Hope this helps.

Lynn

Wilson_52

Thanks Dot.
How did you get your referral? Was it GP or PS? How long did you have to wait etc? I'm due to see PS next month for post op check after permanemt implant and I'm not keen at the minute for another op. Have been told nipple will need to be done under GA so when I read this thread thought it could be an option for me.
W x

dotchas

Hi Wilson
Do you mean St Johns in Livingston?
If so ,yes I had mine made there. I had a couple of appts, first they make a mold from your other side then make a matching silicon nipple for you. Then they spend ages trying to get it to match ,painting on shading and wee dots. Its amazing what they do. I loved mine but have recently had a "origami" nipple made and had it tattoed a couple of weeks ago.I am really chuffed to have a "permanent" matching pair now as I too had some problems with the adhesive.
If you get the chance to have them made ,go for it there is nothing to lose.
It was really funny getting my nipples through the post though LOL!
Love n hugs
Dot
xxx

Wilson_52

Has anyone had one made at St John's?

Guest user
Not applicable

You can have custom made prosthetic nipples free through the NHS. The technicians who make them are maxillo facial prosthetists. There are two or three appointments and you will get a very realistic copy of your nipple which is held in place using a medical adhesive. Every major city in the UK will have a maxillofacial prosthetist within a hospital. Have a look at IMPT.org

Jo_BCC

Hi drabble,

Here's the link to BCC's publication on reconstruction and also the link to an animation of reconstruction procedures. Hope it helps.

Reconstruction pubs:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTe...

Reconstruction animation:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-breast-health/treatment-side-effects/surgery/recons...

Best wishes,
Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

HI LADIES,CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY INFO ABOUT LD FLAP,I WILL BE HAVIN IT SOON AND SCARED X

rosie98

Thanks for all your comments, it felt really good to have personal replies fom people going through a similar thing.My longer term plan is to have a surgical recon but things are on hold at the moment as we are waiting for genetic results, which may mean further surgery ahead & perhaps i would try and combine 2 ops at the same time.Although 6 months post-op i still find that the recon breast hurts if i sleep on my side for too long, does anyone else still have this? will it improve?

marjay12

Hi Ladies,

I had a mx and immediated diep recon in oct 09. I felt that although the recon looked good, it could do with a nipple. At that time I didn't know about having a nipple recon as I had had enough surgery to contend with by that time. I made enquiries from my bcn and was sent to a major teaching hospital in Tooting S London and had a prosthetic nipple made using my own as the template. It took 3 appointments and I have came away with 5 (free) replicas of my existing nipple. My problem was that I became allergic to the surgical glue and so middle of last year had a nipple recon using the skin from my diep recon. I have just had some lipofill/sculpture to increase projection as it had gone a little flat. Now waiting for all to heal and then will go for the tattooing. I would ask your bcn about prosthetic nipples using your own as a template as my guy said not enough ladies know about this service.
I wish you well,

Marjay xxx

Janice

Hi Rosey

I had immediate LD reconstruction, at our hospital they actually took a mould of my existing nipple and made prosthetic ones from that.

I did eventually have a surgical one but to be honest it flattened over time and the tattooing has faded so not sure it was worth it.

Maybe worth asking at your hospital, Β£450 sounds a lot of money to part with if you don't have to.

Best wishes

Jan

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, I had mx&immediate LD recon in Feb2010 and in November my surgeon did a nipple recon by using flesh from the recon side, his terminology "origami" and the nipple looks ok now, I am having the first tattooing done in two weeks. Was this not an option for you, usually reconstruction is the whole process.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rosie 98, i'm sorry i don't have the knowledge you're looking for but i'd be interested in any info you get from any of the ladies. Occasionally posts get missed, especially if lots come in at once so if you haven't heard anything in a few days be sure to bump it up (you can do this by simply clicking on the submit button again )

I'm about to have my tissue expander implant replaced with a permanant silicone implant at the end of the month - so you're a bit ahead of me in terms of "nipple thinking"

Hope you get sorted.

Lynn
x

rosie98

Prosthetic nipples

Hi, I have been watching the forums for a couple of months & am finally plucking up the courage to write something! I had a matectomy & immediate recon with pectoral muscle flap & implant in june 2010. Although i look great with a bra on, I am struggling with how I look undressed & tend to view the recon as a "blind mound", not a breast at all. I recently ordered some prosthetic nipples via my breast care nurse, although I don't hold out much hope for these as these were huge compared to my other nipple & looked very plasticy. I found a website for a John Buckle in Slough who moulds prosthetic nipples based upon photos or your remaining nipple.( They cost about Β£450). I would be really grateful for any info you may have about prosthetic nipples, inc John Buckle. Hope you can help.