Psychologist ,has this helped ?

Hi,ladies, I know I’m quite emotional and cry at drop of hat especially now! I also get very anxious when I have to go on onc ward for my zometa as I always feel cancer is shoved down your throat .
Because I do cry when my markers go up as they have every month apart from this month,the nurses keep badgering me to talk to the psychologist on ward. I’ve always said no as it’s the ward that makes me anxious and the thought of coming back on another few days a month freaked me out.
Well three weeks ago after nurse wouldn’t stop until I said yes,so I said yes just to shut her up ,psych rang to make appointment and I said no thanks.
I thought that was end of that. But yesterday the nurse went on and on and and wouldn’t take no for an answer ,she said if I don’t go it would effect the nurses relationship with me!!???
So I’ve said yes. I couldn’t sleep last night as I don’t want to go ,but I’m now even more anxious about how the nurses will be with me if I refuse appointment again.
I know this sounds so trivial and silly to worry about. But ,has anybody been to one and has it helped with anxiety ?
Helen xx

My BCN refered me for counselling as I couldn’t stop crying after diagnosis. I’d did go albeit rather reluctantly and each time I saw or spoke to the nurses they wanted to know if I was continuing to go. At first it seemed to make me worse for that day, very draining and emotionally hard but after 3or4 sessions it did actually seem to be helping. I went for 16 weeks and just recently finished. It was deep at times I do think it helped me come to terms with things, it was surprising some weeks what actually came out during the session. Hope this helps a bit.
Tracy xxx

Hi Helen,

I found seeing a psychologist really helpful but I was able to see one at a local hospital rather than the hospital where I am having my treatment. I’ve seen others over the years who weren’t so useful, although to some extent it can just be a relief to talk openly about things which might upset family and friends.

As others have said, it should really be your choice but it might be worth trying one session to see how it goes.

Tournesol x

I have had counselling for about a year now. My counsellor helped massively as I was worried about my primary turning into secondary. I would say give it a go. If you don’t find it helpful you can always stop going. In Feb this year I did get diagnosed with secondary brain mets and because of all my counselling was able to deal with this in a much better way. Olives

Hi Helen. I think that there is every possibility that counselling may help, but I am very concerned that you feel pressured into going. I agree with the ladies who suggest if you want to give counselling a go you do so outside of the environment that makes you anxious. You certainly should not be having sleepless nights worrying about something which should be your choice. You could asked to be referred outside of the hospital. Sending you a big hug. Love Stephie xxxx

Hi Helen, I understand that you are angry. An appointment shouldn’t be imposed on you, by doing this they are taking away your control and choice and this can only increase your anxiety not alleviate it. Is there a nurse/ member of staff who is more empathetic that you can talk to? It really does not sound like an acceptable situation. I hope that you can find a way forward. I would have thought that all of the staff should be skilled at dealing with stress and anxiety. You take care. Sending lots of love Steph xxxxxx