Query on liver blood test 9 months after chemo- anyone else had similar?

Hi All,
I had a check up with my onc today, I’m 9 months post chemo. Blood test showed a slight elevation on my liver bloods, he said not the type that indicates cancer, but to rule out anything else he is referring me for an ultrasound. He said it could be the effect of chemo and not unusual to affect the liver.

Anyone else had this please?

Katie

Not liver, but I had sugar levels indicating type 2 diabetes on chemo requiring me to be referred to a diabetic clinic. Apparently it was a side effect of the steroids they gave you, but I had to keep checking my blood sugar twice a day until I was beyond chemo. They told me some patients go on to develop full blown diabetes, thankfully in my case things returned to normal 2 months post chemo. I think chemo is responsible for an awful lot of things and am sure there is probabaly nothing to worry about, esp. if they are saying your bloods don’t indicate cancer.

Hi Katie

My GP did masses of blood tests about 3 months after I finished chemo, had a raised ferritin leve (protein that affects the liver and in the long-term, other organs), is often elevated with Bc but calms down after. The levels are still high another 4 months later; at the moment I am cutting down severely on the booze as the GP said even moderate booze may affect it, will have more tests in a couple of months. BUT she has emphasised throughout that it is NOT inidicative of cancer spread. Perhaps ask your GP if something like Milk Thistle would help your liver recover from the dreaded chemo?

Good luck

Louise

My liver count was up at my first post chemo checkup.I had to have a blood test just to make sure it was coming back down as if it had stayed the same or got worse they would have had me in for a scan etc.to rule out anything sinister.Thankfully it was just a reaction to chemo…good luck.

Josie x

I’m 9 months post chemo and have never had a blood test. Wonder why?

I’m a year post-chemo and about to finish Herceptin and haven’t had a blood test either.

xxx

Hi All,
Had a liver ultrasound on Friday and all is well. the doctor explained that it was very much “crossing ts etc” to do the scan as it is not unusual to have raised LFTs after chemo. He said it can also be caused by increase of fat in the liver but that he could see none in mine, so if it is that, its microscopic.

While he was at it he checked my gall bladder and kidneys and both perfectly fine - its very reassuring to have all this done. Back to my glass of red wine!!

Katie

Great news Katie!!

Josie x