cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about DIEP

11 REPLIES 11
Theboyz5

Re: Question about DIEP

Hi, l had my reconstruction in 201,.and I was told to wait for my reconstruction breast to settle down b/4 reduction on the healthy breast. My next appointment is 22nd of April am discussing the reduction, maybe that is the procedure. Theboyz5 xxx.
Lilac_Blue

Yup, that is what I did, starting three weeks after first surgery. Going through the eye of the breast cancer needle' F's with ones head. You are not alone on that nor the fear of our healthy breast going south after treatment. LB, x
jackster50

Oh sunshine Lilly Im so sorry to hear that more cancer was found especially as I know or can imagine how happy you must have felt having both breasts done. I have just finished radiotherapy and I meet with the surgeon end of May. While I understand waiting for an uplift to provide optimium results is prudent I also wonder if its down to polices and funding as there seems to be such a discrepancy amongst surgeons and these type of operations i.e. some do bilateral masectomys and uplifts at the same time while others make women wait.
If im honest apart from wanting to look normal another reason for wanting both done at the same time is that I have a real fear that if I get just one breast done, when the time comes to do the other the surgeon or whoever will find cancer in my other breast which will mean going back, if Im lucky to square one, and the treatments starting again.
I have one dream where I have two breasts and I look normal and life is good. I have another dream where I have one pert breast and one large saggy one and the oncologist is telling me that my cancer has returned and has spread meaning my life is over.
Bring on the shrink, eh?
Guest user
Not applicable

hi jackster,
i had diep surgery in august and like you i didnt want one breast done and not the other as i was a natural 32dd and as quite slim they couldnt get a lot from my tummy and said they could only get me to a 32b unless i had implant, but herd a lot of negative side effects with inplant so desided to stick to what they could do, my plastic surgen was my hero , he knew it was my main concern that i wouldnt cope mentely, everyone kept saying he wont do other breast for at least six months, but he drew all over both before i went to surgery, and if all was well he would try to do both, when i awoke from surgery i looked under the sheet and he had done both, i was sooooo greatfull, and and five months on they look amazing, unfortunetley for me after surgery they found my breast tissue was all cancerous and i had to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy, wich is a bit disapointing as i no radio can effect the recontructed breast, im on my fourth chemo this friday, iv found having chemo is worse than having surgery, but its got to be done, what area are in ? i had surgery in broomfeilds hospital chelmsford under dr Banwell. dont be affraid to tell them its what you want and your main concern, hopefully you can get both done,
iv ner been on line before bit new to all this good luck n be strong,
sunshine lilly
saffronseed

I echo what lilac blue says and no you are not selfish or vain! its your body and you want it back as soon as you can. Although I had one pert breast and one droopy one for nearly 12 months (until I got my uplift) when I wore a bra you couldn't tell and that was a real bonus so I really didn't mind the wait and could wear nice things and even wore a bikini on holdiay. The Plastic surgeons do understand the emotional side of reconstruction and they really want to get a good finish thats why they prefer to wait but they do understand about body image and self confidence and it is an enormous part of your recovery - its not just about getting the cancer out, its about getting your life back in order and being able to do 'normal' things. If I were you I would phone the PS's secretary get an appointment and be really frank and open about how you feel. I know that he won't think you are vain or selfish and he may be able to accomodate what you want or give you a better option - there's no harm in asking the question. good luck xx

Lilac_Blue

Jackster, you are not sounding selfish or vain. I think your result at this point in time, would be difficult for any of us to accept, let alone feel at ease with for an extended length of time . It's a personal choice that you already have made, and prefer both breasts to be reconstructed or opt for none. Is there any possible way you can have a surgery date sooner than summertime?
jackster50

Thanks for all your replies. It sounds selfish but the reason I want both done at the same time is that I have had a temporary implant put in after mastectomy and its soo hard to wear anything nice. I have a pert small breast on the left and a droppy larger breast on the right. There is nothing I can do to gain symmetry and the thought of being like this for another year or more is very depressing.
When i first discussed options with the surgeon I was going to push for a double mastectomy for two reasons 1) I had Lobular cancer which has a higher chance of spreading to other breast and 2) For appearances, I would rather have had no breasts or two breasts (my choice and dont expect everyone to agree). Both the surgeon and my husband sold me on the idea of having the skin sparing implant and I rather naively thought that the diep and uplift would occur at the same time. I just want to get back to looking normal - may take longer to feel that way but i know spending a long time lopsided isnt going to help me one bit 😞
Sorry to moan I guess I sound selfish and vain given I should be happy that cancer was found and treated.
samos

Whilst it is possible to have both breasts operated on at the same time - I had a double mx with immediate DIEP recon - when you are having a single DIEP recon, as the girls have said they prefer to leave that to settle before they adjust the other side.
Yes it does drag things out, but better that rather than compromise the result.

Petal5

Hi jackster. I had my delayed diep in September 2011 and uplift and slight reduction to good breast in May 2012. I think as saffronseed has said most ps like to wait and see how the diep reconstruction settles before they do anything with the other side. Whilst this may seem to prolong things I think it will give you the best outcome in the long term. At the same time as my uplift he also did slight liposuction to the diep and created me a nipple so lots of little bits at the same time! I have now had the areola tattoed and I am extremely pleased with the outcome I have got and feel it was well worth all the extra ops and waiting lists. Good luck with your recon.

saffronseed

Hi jackster I don't think they will do both sides at same time - A diep itself is about 9/10 or more hours in theatre and its big surgery and recovery and it would be hard for you to heal and recover if you had surgery on tummy and both breasts all at once. My surgeon also said that he didn't want to touch my good side until the recon had settled and by doing that and leaving it a few months consmetically it will get a better finish. I have just had my good side uplifted - nearly a year after my DIEP and whilst its a pain knowing you have more sugery it was worth it. I am pleased with the result and now awaiting my nipple as he would not do a nipple until it had all settled (again to get the best possible cosmetic outcome). Your surgeon may be different though and its worth asking the question and I can understand you not wanting to go through another operation and anesthetic.

jackster50

Bump 🙂
jackster50

Question about DIEP

Im hoping to get my reconstruction this summer but worried that the surgeon will only do diep on effected breast and leave reduction in healthy breast until later operation. Do you ladies know if it is standard to do both breasts at the same time. Thanks in advance for any answers x