cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re Chemo

4 REPLIES 4
Wizabel12

Re: Question re Chemo

I was told my hair would definitely fall out with FEC chemo so I used the cold cap for the first two sessions but found it very unpleasant... Haven't used it since and have my 5th chemo next week and still have a good covering of hair. My hair was very thick to start with so I think that helped. I have a friend going through chemo and all her hair fell out after the first treatment. So... I guess it depends on so many things as to when and how much hair will fall out. Good luck!
Nanny_Sal

Hi

I have to say I had a few wobbly days when I first started to lose my hair, but then it was half way down my back and had been long for the last 20years! It was part of who I was!

BUT now I get up in the morning and don't have to worry about brushing, styling, washing hair! Oh the joys of an extra half hour in bed!

As for eyebrows, I still have mine, although they have thinned slightly. My eye lashes have thinned slightly this week, although I have had a particularly tearful week, which probably hasn't helped.

There is a session in some areas that show you how to draw on eyebrows, and do make up ect to make you feel better about your new short term looks! But honestly you'll cope with whatever is thrown at you! I have found that you worry about the unknown, once it's happened you look back and think, wow that wasn't as bad as I expected!

Just take one day at a time, and keep talking and sharing your worries and fears! Everyone on here understands the ups and downs of all this.

Sal xx
butterfly22

Hi

havent joined any threads yet as just making sense of different forums.  I see  oncologist Monday re treatment. I have to have surgery and chemo but depending on whether I take up trial is which one I have first. I have ME so the shorter I can keep sessions the better. Im not worried about losing hair..its usually short anyway but is shoulder length at minute which drives me nute  ( My ME means I ave to have energy to get to hairdresser and fit it in with work load. I never have my hair blow dried because I cats stand them messing around with head). Just wondered if it was with the chemo.. the breast nurse said I would lose my hair (but do you know I never even thought about eyebrows)

Thanks

Nanny_Sal

Hi Butterfly,

I've just had dose 4 of Chemo, started with 3 FEC and now onto 3 TAX. I have lost most of my hair, still have a light covering, although I did shave it off once it was coming out in brush loads!

But in answer to your question. It depends on which drugs you are having, and if you are at a hospital that offers the cold cap option! Lots of ladies on here have used it with good results. I decided against it a when I stopped and looked at the bigger picture, I felt that my hair wasn't as important as beating this disease. I couldn't face the extra time each session would take, if I used the cold cap! But that's just me!

This is a long fight and very scary at times, but also very doable. Have you joined any of the monthly threads for people going through Chemo? Even if you haven't got a start date yet, you could join one and just ask anything you need! I'm a November lady, and I have found lots of good advice and support over the last few months.

Good luck with everything and remember you are NOT alone (((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))) xxxxxx
butterfly22

Question re Chemo

Hi

I am  days diagnosed and have to have chemo ( as well as surgery and radiotherapy). Does chemo make you hair fall out always.