Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions, Questions, Questions...

26 REPLIES 26
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Questions, Questions, Questions...

They didn't say what that one was, and didn't prod in the right places to feel it - so still clueless on that score, but I'm going to try and just relax and keep an eye on it without panic!

I'm so relieved, its just a shame that I didn't get a complete answer so just have that slight question at the back of my mind. Anyway I can certainly put up with that knowing the others are fine!

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hey, thats great that it was clear, and that they attempted to explain the lumps! what did they say the armpit lump was? have u got a followup appt? yea keep an eye on it. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Cludgie - glad to hear it was good news today... hopefully the lump in your armpit will reduce but as you say keep an eye on it and go back to your gp if you are still concerned in the future...

Love Theresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for your well wishes folks - just got home, and all good news thankfully.

I only had to have an examination and an ultrasound, and they were happy with that, which of course made me much happier!

On the flip side of it, although they checked and explained both breast lumps (one normal boob tissues which has just changed shape a little, and the other a blocked duct).

I was a little bit miffed that the 1st Dr I saw (who drew crosses on me for the sonographer to check those areas) kept feeling in completely the wrong place under my arm (I told him that), then drew the cross in the wrong place too (which I also told him), he said never mind - just tell the next doctor!!

I then told the next doctor who again said never mind I'll check that area, but then swept past the bit in question without seming to pay much attention.

I did push for an answer as to why I'd got a BIG lump in my armpit, and why nobody would look at the bit in question, and they basically said not to worry - they'd had a good look with the ultrasound and it was probably just one of thiose things. I patiently asked what "one of those things" may be, and they said breast tissue or fat or something (both of which I'd be happy with if I believed they HAD looked at the area in question!!).

Anyway I left knowing that the likelihood of nastiness is much reduced, and although I'd like to feel happier about my armpit lump I've decided I will give it another month and then go back to my gp if its still there, or sooner if it gets any bigger, and just insist in someone else having a propper prod around!!

So thanks again for all of your support, and patiently listening to me vent - its made a world of difference to me!

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Wishing you the very best of luck today. xxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck today Cludgie - will be thinking of you.

Theresa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Well there's lots of things they could be-cysts,fibrodoemas.Could just be hormonal changes in breast tissue as you have recently had children.

I won't be able to read your outcome as I'm off on a break this weekend. I am resisting the urge to take my laptop with me- husband will probably divorce me if I do! Can't deal with that too!

So good luck, fingers crossed and I'll catch up with the thread when I'm back on Monday

Love
Freddie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Much appreciated honey - I'm still confused as to what else it could be with a BIG lymph node and 2 distinctly different breast lumps, but I need re-assuring, so i will try to get them to be clear and commital in whatever they say.

Its just all so many shades of grey!! Your advice really helps though - I'm glad I'll have my mum with me - I may let things pass but she'll be clearer headed, and she is feisty!!

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I'm with you on the children thing- don't usually push for myself either.Silly really as our children need us!!

As for questions-I asked very pertinent ones but they weren't always effective. I think it will depend on what they find and ,of course, every case is different. If they have a feel they should have some idea what it is. The doctor and consultant felt my lump and both said 'mmmmmmmmm could be a cyst,mmmmm a bit strange,not typical of BC though' . They then did a portable ultrasound and said ' mmm there's no cyst but can't see much else either'. They then said' just come back in 6 weeks, if it is still there we will do a fine needle aspiration'. I said I couldn't wait the 6 weeks , and insisted they did it there and then. The consultant said he would 'but only to put your mind at rest more than anything else'. I got the results- seemingly all clear. I actually asked- ' so it's definitely not BC then'. To which the reply was' no, it isn't, we wouldn't send you away if it was'. Well they did didn't they!?Still at least they got me back in quickly enough. Like you say Liz- thank goodness they checked again.

If you are in any doubt it is the fine needle aspiration or punch biopsy that is the most conclusive. My cancer is likely to be lobular ( I'm still waiting for the full results) Lobular cancer doesn't show up well on ultrasounds or mammograms so a cell sample is the only thing that will detect it.

I don't want to scare you about having false negatives. I'm sure this doesn't happen often. But please , please be the pushy woman you can be ( don't antagonise them though!). Then your mind can hopefully be put at rest.

Love Freddie xxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done for pushing Freddie, I've been known to have a stand up argument with a consultant over my son being put at risk before, I just give up more easily when I'm fighting my own corner!!

I'd wanted a list of questions to take along, as I'd feel more in control knowing I'd not let the opportunity pass me by, and then look back with queries, but I can't think of what I should be asking!

Anyone got any tips, or asked anything/requested anything that was of particular use?

Cheers guys!

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

so sorry to hear that freddecider thats awful, good job someone realised though. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I've just been reading the posts and hope you don't mond me dropping in.

Twinmum-Can't believe you're still waiting. You cetainly are resilient and hanging in there . Keep positive and fingers crossed!!

Cludgie, I've got my fingers crossed for you too. Just make sure they are really thorough with you. I convinced myself of the worst before my first appointment, then on examination they were sure it was nothing to worry about. However crucially they didn't actiually say what it could be. On my insistence they did the fine needle aspiration and got results back a couple of hours later. They said that it was all fine but to go back in 6 weeks. I went away happy but with a nagging doubt in my mind. If it wasn't BC what was it?

However they recalled me in two weeks instead. They did all three tests and unfortunately it is BC after all. Someone somewhere had rechecked the results from the needle thing and changed their minds.

So I think what I'm trying to say is be pushy, make sure they are thorough and make sure you are convinced.If in doubt push them to check again.Otherwise it could cause you yet more worry.

So best of luck -rememeber that only a small fraction of the lumps they see are BC. Most are fine.

Love

Freddiexxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

thanks guys, I'm ok, just called my mum to make final arrangements for getting to the hospital etc, and have insisted on shopping for LOTS of magazines en route, although having my baby there will keep me busy while I wait I'm sure!

Getting a bit ratty, my mum and other relatives who know keep telling me that its all hormonal, and tomorrow is just precautionary, but they have NO information to base this on, and love them as I do for re-assuring me I'm just grumpy, and am having to try not to snap at people (which is actually very unlike me!)

Cx

Guest user
Not applicable

good luck cludgie, let us know how it goes, i hope it goes ok for u and gets sorted out. course they wont laugh at you.

Guest user
Not applicable

Cludgie - don't worry the last thing they will do is laugh at you... {{{hugs}}} every week they see women with everything from fibrous lumps to cysts to sadly with cancer and they don't laugh at any of us... i guess if anything it must feel better for them when they are able to tell someone a lump is benign etc...

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh I completely understand about the wedding dress thing - I think we are only capable of worrying to a certain saturation point and so to make it managable sometimes our minds find a point of focus, and why not your wedding? Its such a big event.

I really hope all is well for you - and that you can get on planning your big day (Which will be fab, I'm sure).

With me its my baby which gets me started off - I know it sounds way morbid, but my daughter knows me, and God forbid should anything happen, she'll know who I was, but my little boy is only 16 months old.

Anyway I'm starting to get really paranoid that I'll be laughed out of the clinic tomorrow, and although I hope its nothing, I also don't want to be laughed at! 😞

Anyway little over 15 hours to go so almost there!

cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi ladies,
I went to the hospital last september,if its a fast track clinic,u move on through the departments depending on the findings of each assessment from what i gathered.I went with a lump near my armpit which proved to be an abnormal lymph node ??? since the biopsy its been uncomfortable and in the last month or so its unbearable and theres another lump the other side of the breast,i have a burning in my shoulder blade and forearm with limited circulation..so its back to the fastrack clinic for me im also going tuesday at 8.40am,im also going out of my mind with worry.
I know it sounds trivial but ive just picked up my wedding dress for our wedding in july and all i can think about is if its cancer i wont be able to wear my dress !!! obviously amongst other major things like my house my job my babies.. maybe we can worry here together and try and get each other through this week ! i dont even feel like a glass of wine can help !tut ~!

Guest user
Not applicable

yea it will take the whole day, i was there for 5 blinking hours and only had an ultrasound and smear. i would let the radiologist worry about what the ultrasound shows. i saw a big black lump on my one and started panicking, but they said it didnt show anything?

Guest user
Not applicable

Part of the problem is each part has it's own waiting time... wait to see the nurse / doctor and explain what your symptoms go over any family history etc wait for the mammogram - that gets looked at... another room and waiting area for the ultrasound... if there is something there biopsy needs to be done. All results have to be examined - and then see the doctor again to get results. Obviously some bits might get missed out - but if your clinic is a one stop one they try and do as much of the diagnosis as possible on one day - if not you might have to come back for part of it on another day...

Guest user
Not applicable

Are they likely to be conclusive in one day? I'd imagined some prodding and poking, and if anything looked sus, then possibly come back on another day for results etc. I know private hospitals can offer a same day service.

I guess there is soo much info!

Thanks

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - sorry that you both are going through this worrying time...

The time in the clinic is likely to depend on how many tests need to to be done so a bit hard to predict... I know at our clinic you seem to sit around for a long time waiting to be seen. If it does turn out to be cancer it will also take longer as you will need to meet the breast cancer nurse and chat with the doctor about what happens next etc...

Cludgie i know it is hard but it is best not to read too much about all the possibilities at the moment... there are so many combinations of cancer type, size, the grade (whether it is fast or slow growing) whether hormones are involved and which ones etc etc etc you will only make your head spin...

Thinking of you both and hope you get good news at clinic...

Theresa x

Guest user
Not applicable

ooops - didn't mean to leave caps lock on for that comment!

Guest user
Not applicable

I've told them I will be out of the office all day, but feel a bit guilty as my appointment is 10.20, and when I SAID TO MY MANAGER Iwould take the day in case it dragged on, she said "what the whole day?!", and now I feel like I'm skiving!

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

in the paper work i was sent it says to allow 2 hours? not sure how close this will be. My appointment is 10.40 next tues, hubby has taken day off to come too.

Guest user
Not applicable

Yeah I keep convoncing myself that the lumps were all in my mind, and then when they are still there I'm gutted all over again.

I've just got a head like a shed at the moment, and just wish I could predict more what to expect.

Thanks though will pop back friday and pos as to how things went.

Does anyone know roughly how long you can expect to be in the breast clinic? I have to take my baby for his MMR that afternoon too - happy days! 🙂

Cxx

Guest user
Not applicable

HI sorry can't answer your questions but with less than a week til my appointment I'm finding myself having a bad day. I can't stop feeling for the lump to make sure it's still there, I'm so worried about turning up on monday & being turned away with our U/S. I know it would be wonderful to have good news but I don't think i would feel happy if I'm not tested in some way.

as for your questions, I wouldn't read too much into things on the internet, most times it's only the worse you read about.
My daugter has cerebral palsy & when we were first told we looked up everything & thought the worst, now 6 years later you can hardly tell she has it.

so take it one day at a time & wait until they say what it is before you tell yourself it's BC.
believe me I have thought if it is BC i can't go on holiday in May, I won't be able to change jobs like i should be etc but now i'm thinking it will be fine & all this worrying will be for nothing!!!
if nothing else it's made me looking after myself more.
keep us posted on your appointment friday x

Guest user
Not applicable

Questions, Questions, Questions...

Hey guys, after a couple of really good positive days I've crashed and burned again today and now feeling crappy again! 😞

Anyway, I thought I'd try and think of all the questions I need to get out of the way before friday (or at least not get them out of the way so I can add them to a list to take with me).

So firstly, I was wondering - what does either a "normal" breast look like on the ultrasound, or what does an abnormaility look like? I know someone said theirs looked like a void on a mamogram, but does it look the same on u/s?

Secondly (and I guess I probably won't get answers to this) what is the liklihood of a good outcome where there is lymph node involvement in whatever is going on? I read an awful article yesterday which has made me worry, and I just wondered if I should be preparing myself for nastiness? Or if I'm being self indulgent again?

Anyway thanks for listening folks, it really does help having somewhere to pop on and vent!

Take care

Cxx