Questions to ask Surgeon

I’m due to have an initial appointment with my surgeon soon and I am wondering what kind of questions should I ask?

I was diagnosed with BC in 2005 and had WLE, chemo and rads and am now considering having a double masectomy and reconstruction as I have recently found out that I have BRCA1 gene.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Adele

Hi Adele

Whilst you await replies you may find our publication about reconstruction useful to read, you can do so via this link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/breast_reconstruction_dec06_web_0.pdf

Best wishes
Lucy

Im simialar position, dx last february and had 1 masectomy, diagnosed with Brca1 so looking at options for masectomy and recon but surgeon in my area on do 1 kind, i understand plastic surgeons can do some sort of skin sparing options
xx

Hi,
I too am looking in to having a second mastectomy and yes they can do skin sparing and nipple sparing mastectomy’s. They basically make a small incision, remove the breast tissue then replace with an implant - this can be done keeping the nipple or not. For me personally I will be having my nipple removed so that I can then have two reconstructed at the same time so they are an exact match as I have had a recon but no nipple yet :slight_smile:

Hi
I just wanted to say that I have brca2 gene so opted for bi-lateral masectomy they used muscle from my back on my right side because id already had radio i had expanders fitted in both sides i lost my right nipple cos radio killed blood suply to it so on right side my scar is were my nipple used to be but i kept my left nipple and now wish i wouldnt have cos its gone a bit to the left but my scar is only tiny just down the under left side i was done by a lady called claire rogers at docaster dri fantastic go back in 3 months for nipple recon