Questions to ask surgeon

I am having a consultation with my surgeon for the first time tomorrow, is there anything that I should be asking him that I may forget, or not know about? Obviously, those of you who have been through it will have invaluable information.

I am currently undergoing chemo and my surgery will take place some time in November after chemo has finished. As my cancer was described as ‘aggressive and fast’ , but only in my right breast and lymph nodes, I want a double mastectomy to reduce the risk of it returning in my left one.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Lou

Hi Lou,
the only thing I spoke about with mine was whether or not I was going to have recon, as they can leave more skin if you are! He wasn’t going to mention it to me but I brought it up as an afterthought, glad I did now…So my scar is prob not as tidy looking as some but hopefully will make for a better job later if I opt for it.
Hope it goes well for you/ I found it much easier to deal with than the chemo stangely…was actually quite happy for it to be cut away and the loss of boob wasn’t as difficult than the loss of hair is.
Best of luck
Gillian

Hi Lou

I have to agree with Gillian/curtainqueen.

Like her, I had chemo first (ghastly, as you will know), and the mastectomy was a doddle, but I think I can only say that because I did not have any lymph nodes removed. And I only had one breast removed, not two. That would have been a different story, I am sure. After the op, I did not even have a single paracetamol, that is how pain free it was. I think if I had had lymph nodes removed, I would have seen a physiotherapist afterwards, but I had no difficulty in moving at all. For a couple of days it just felt as if I had been kicked in the chest by a small pony. And of course I was just very glad to be rid of the little (well, in my case 5cm) b*&%er!

My advice would be to take pyjamas to hospital as they are a lot easier to wear than nightdresses - under the pyjama top I wore a cotton strappy top (e.g. £1 from Primark) so it meant I could leave the pyjama top undone and be respectable.

I could not have immediate reconstruction because I needed rads, but I have an appointment to see a plastic surgeon tomorrow - I have decided I want two pieces of flesh in my bra rather than one!

Keep us all posted as to your progress, won’t you?

Thanks Bubs and Curtain Queen

Surgeon was great and capable of coping with my black humour and sister’s risque comments. We have decided on mastectomy of rhs based on there won’t be much left, and I want a good reconstruction job; plus 5-10% possibility of recurrence of cancer, plus extra ops to ‘cut more away’ if pathology weren’t satisfied with tissue results, sealed it for me. I want a double mastectomy everntually to minimise all risk (10% risk of it occuring in lhs). I’ve heard from two other single side mastectomy girls they wished they’d had both off, mainly because their remainign real breast reminds them of what they no longer have, and it is also a constant worry.

I’ll be having radio therapy too, so surgeon wants me to have 6 months to a year before going back for reconstuction and to think about second lhs mastectomy…personally I rather have two good matching falseys made from my fat than two that don’t match and worry me. My partner likes my boobs so keeping him in mind is important to me, making sure he has something pleasnat to look at, although I should comment that he has been competely marvellous and a pillar of support and kindness.

What are your thoughts on reconstruction?

Thanks for the gymjam tip…off to look at forums about prosthetics and bras.

Lou